Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: need a good starting point

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #1

Default need a good starting point

hi everyone, just brought my first crawler, gmade R1. i got the basic kit without any electrics but im a bit stuck as to what motor, esc, receiver and battery combo to use, brushed or brushless? this is my first electric car as ive always had nitro cars. im not after all out speed but good torque with enough power there when i need it.

cheers Rob
aussie_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

1st question, you looking for fun or to comp??
2nd, crawlers usually want brushed, but, sensored brushless is "OK" as an alternative.
Batteries depend on what kind of running you want to do.....as well as the ESC you'll be using.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
Proverbial threadkiller

For a radio, I run a Futaba 2PL (which I believe has been discontinued). I like it, so if I needed to replace it I'd look at the 3PL, the 3PM-X, and then maybe the 4PL. The PL's all use the FHSS receivers I already have, the PM uses the FASST receivers, so for me, I'd be looking at all new receivers for four vehicles. But then again, I don't run rear steer, digs, winches or any of that stuff, so I can get by with a more basic radio. The fiancee has a Spectrum DX3s. I can't say it's bad, but I learned programming on a Futaba, the Spectrum's not what I know, so it seemed confusing/cumbersome to program. Still, none of those are exactly "cheap" like a lot of people seem to like nowadays. Many would say a FlySky gt-3b would do what you want, and for a lot less money.

For batteries, I'm happy with my NiMh's and NiCad's. If you have a LiPo capable charger and charging sack, then you could get some fairly small LiPo's and be very happy. I reccomend 2S, but in a crawler, running 3S should be fine so long as your speed control/motor will allow it. It's also a fairly wise idea to use either the Low Voltage Cutoff in your speed control, or use a Low Voltage Alarm when you run LiPo's.

For a servo, I'd just look for 125+ oz/in at 6 volts (not sure what the metric equiv would be). I'm a big proponent of ball-bearing servos, don't think I'll ever buy another servo that isn't. Metal gears probably isn't a bad idea either. Money no object, Futaba's got a HV (high voltage) servo I'd like to get, but if I were under a budget, I'd probably look into Savox servos. An external BEC is pretty much a "must" with all but one ESC that I've heard about.

And finally motor/ESC, first reccomendation would be the Holmes Hobbies BR-XL, and a TorqueMaster Pro Handwound 540 Brushed motor (35 turns). The BR-XL comes set up for brushed only, but from what I've heard it's pretty much the only thing out there with a good, robust internal BEC. Tekin's FX series and Castle Creations' Sidewinders seem to be fairly popular, too. I already have the CastleLink, so I'd lean very heavily towards the BR-XL, Axial AE2, or Castle Sidewinder or Mamba Max Pro. I'd personally stick with a brushed setup, but if you think you've found a brushless setup that you think you'll be happy with, go ahead and try it out.

That should be enough starting points to get the ball rolling, you can start your research from there.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

It would be helpful to know what budget you have to spend on electronics. What some people pay for a radio may be your entire budget...
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:48 AM   #5

ive got a budget of under $200au. ill only be using it for fun so not after the best of the best parts. ive been looking at some of the hobbyking 15kg servos, id be happy to get half an hour or so out of the batteries. ill most probably buy 2-3 of them

cheers Rob
aussie_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I think your best bet is trying to find used stuff. I picked up a used traxxas xl-5 esc for $20usd, then you can buy a cheap brushed motor, somewhere between 35-55t probably, you can stay under $50 pretty easily with a new one. A gt3b that comes with a receiver is about $30, hobbyking is always backordered though but hobbypartz has them usually. The one place I wouldn't cheap out is servo's, i haven't heard great things about the hobbyking servo's. Do you need a dig servo on that rig, or just steering? If just steering i'd look at either buying a used hitec or new savox servo, the SC-1256TG has 277oz/in of torque which will be plenty for just having fun and it's $80 brand new.

Should leave you a decent amount for picking up some nimh batteries and a cheap charger. I'd probably just stick with nimh in your case. Lipo batteries are nice but more dangerous and you need a better charger to handle them, need to worry about an esc with low voltage cutoff etc, easier to just stick with nimh at first unless you want to do lots of reading about batteries and get a good charging setup.

Most of all, read, read, and read some more.
mdchris is offline   Reply With Quote