Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: fs gt3b setup after hack.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default fs gt3b setup after hack.

So here it is any of you who know of the Fly sky gt3b know its a recite radio with a very low price which is what everyone in this hobby wants. The radio only comes as decent at first because it has many features but not all the features we want. Luckily because of losikid the radio has become awesome. He sells a hack for it that pretty much makes it a radio with endless possibilities.
I have yet to hack the radio bit have ordered the kit. Here is the forum to read on the hack.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/elect...ch-thread.html

Now that is a good tech forum on hacking and a lot of technical q's on using the hack.

So what I would like to do is start this Thread on how you all set up the radio after the hack and for what kind of set up .
I will post my set up when I have hacked the radio and set it to my liking on my xr10 with 2 esc set up.
Hope the replies help all that are new to this radio.
foratm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Ok so i got the firm ware hack in yesterday and i am installing it now i will inform you all on what goes on next and a full review.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Ok lets start from the begining.
I opened up the package which took about 5 days to arrive the price was extremely worth it.
My set up is a XR10 with 2 castle mini brushless esc's and a pair of old 45t novaks not too impresive but working for now until i get used to everything.
The radio feels comfortable and fairly easy to use for someone not used to a higher tech style radio ( i went from a futaba magnum spot which had to trim knobs and that was it). I was/ still am a newb to all this brushless and 2.4ghz radios and pretty much anything past the 90's lol.
So Im going to start step by step on what i did and how it worked even though i know somethings i did were not right but may help you all out.

First after opening the package i checked my emails and opened all of them from losi kid. I downloaded the manual and the 3ch set up.
I also pulled up losikid's thread on set up....A MUST TO COMPLETE!!!
I started cutting and soldering the radio very easy to take apart and being the first time i ever soldered a computer board and it was extremely easy.
Simply pre tin lightly your iron make sure you have a fine tip. And 700-750 works perfect. Preheat the pins and just tap it with your solder. Easy.

Ok cut the little opening for your plug i used a wire snip and a side cutter.

Ok install the firmware and the patch into your computer.
Follow the prompts.
follow the simply easy easy step by step directions on losikid's thread that i posted up above.

now after i programmed everything is when i had some problems.
I bought my rig used so it was set up for the other user and he had a dig system set up himself so i combined the esc's into only channel two as i didnt have the radio set up so in doing so one motor went forward the other backward so i switched the polarity to one radio making them both go the same right. Well after i set up the radio both went backwards so i had to make channels 2 and 3 in reverse no big deal. I'll switch it all later.
You'll know if you have the same problem if your esc's wont calibrate.

So after all that i just messed around with my trims and endpoints and bam done.

Like i said i'm a complete newb when it came to this sort of stuff.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

So my overall review.
Simple easy kinda fun.
The radio is simply modified and the features rock with all of the possiblities.
The feel is comfortable and for me the trim buttons located under my thumb work real easy and easy to reach.
I highly recomend this hack to everyone. I spent a total of
radio $45
hack from overkillrc $25
crawling with the DIG setup and a radio limited to nothing that is equal to my friend who races profesionally with thousands upon thousands of dollars into his equipment PRICELESS!!!

By the way total time for set up was maybe 30 mins.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:56 AM   #5

Default three position switches.......

I have read the reviews on the internet and yours as well, and even OVERKILLS, and have not seen where and how the third, fourth, fifth, etc switches/buttons work. In other words is say your radio is set up as a three channel. the third channel lets say is a winch. now how is the silver button on the handle used? i.e. push the button once it's letting out the winch cable, twice it stopps.....? how is the fourth, fifth, etc channels controlled, all 2 position, 3 positon, linear, (rear wheel steer)? If there is a manual that can be downloaded and read that will answer these questions that answer will be enough.

Curby
curby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by curby View Post
I have read the reviews on the internet and yours as well, and even OVERKILLS, and have not seen where and how the third, fourth, fifth, etc switches/buttons work. In other words is say your radio is set up as a three channel. the third channel lets say is a winch. now how is the silver button on the handle used? i.e. push the button once it's letting out the winch cable, twice it stopps.....? how is the fourth, fifth, etc channels controlled, all 2 position, 3 positon, linear, (rear wheel steer)? If there is a manual that can be downloaded and read that will answer these questions that answer will be enough.

Curby

Alright so the way mine is set up right now is for dig on my crawler. The way I have my switches mapped is the general waybthat losikid has in the hack instructions. But I don't see why it wouldn't work perfectly for the winch. I run my dig off of the two silver switches on the handle portion with my thumb the top on I push forward for linear towards my front wheels and back for the rear wheels I can hold the button down in center position which will reset my linear to zero position. The edith below is automatic 100% or -100% and back to last setting before using the switch simply by letting go.
I will post up the manual for you losikid has instructions on setting up for many general set ups ie. Winch four steer dig lights and etc.
Its pretty simple once you screw up a few times because I had to figure it out multiple times but the manual is awesome ill post a link shortly.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Ok here's the manual
http://www.overkillrc.com/GT3B-Firmw...NUAL-0.4.1.txt
Here is the dual esc
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/elect...ml#post3216318
Pretty much through out the whole forum there are step by step instructions if you need help losikid responds pretty quick through here but not overkill.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:03 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Hey lokow your pics didnt post they arent showing up.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:11 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by foratm View Post
Hey lokow your pics didnt post they arent showing up.
I'm betting it's a spammer, all they do is copy part of a previous post & make it theirs.
The "links" are to sucker you in, don't do it.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:13 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Ok thanks for the heads up
Old 10-28-2011, 10:00 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by curby View Post

Curby

I am looking forward to that as well, Lots of info on this radio on there..and lots of pages to sort through. One of the thoughts I had on this is if its possible to put a pot in one of the places of the trims as to use as a steer, or a linear channel. That would be cool...either steering or a speed for letting out a winch, out fast (crank it all the way) in slow..barley turn the knob...would be cool if it could work.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

After i saw the hack thread i am so doing this to get a 3 position dig.
Thanks for the advice in your thread on setting it up.
Rob
Rxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
I am looking forward to that as well, Lots of info on this radio on there..and lots of pages to sort through. One of the thoughts I had on this is if its possible to put a pot in one of the places of the trims as to use as a steer, or a linear channel. That would be cool...either steering or a speed for letting out a winch, out fast (crank it all the way) in slow..barley turn the knob...would be cool if it could work.
There is actual step by step directions for four wheel steering you can use any of the trims actually or selector buttons to cycle through. Ill pull up the directions for you later. Pretty much everything can be setup how you want to.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #14
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
You can setup, without any mods (besides the fw hack) so if you press and hold a button it will slowly increase or decrease the channel position

If you really want a pot, its built into the the new firmware that you can install a pot in place of the ch 3 button. BUT i have yet to test this or write up any form of how-to. As i've never had a request, once someone actually uses the digital stuff.

Also soon, i'll be posting up another thread for just pure info, and not let anyone post in it Then turn the current tech thread into a Q&A thread since its got extremely long.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
You can setup, without any mods (besides the fw hack) so if you press and hold a button it will slowly increase or decrease the channel position

If you really want a pot, its built into the the new firmware that you can install a pot in place of the ch 3 button. BUT i have yet to test this or write up any form of how-to. As i've never had a request, once someone actually uses the digital stuff.

Also soon, i'll be posting up another thread for just pure info, and not let anyone post in it Then turn the current tech thread into a Q&A thread since its got extremely long.
That's an awesome idea actually. I was working on purring together list of all your set ups that people requested in your thread for easy reffernce. Ill still work on it if you want.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #16
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foratm View Post
That's an awesome idea actually. I was working on purring together list of all your set ups that people requested in your thread for easy reffernce. Ill still work on it if you want.
Only if you want to...but here starting soon, i'm gonna wean myself rcc, so i can start getting abunch of projects thats been pileing up the past few months done. One of those include a overkill programming manual, and abunch of tutorials...also going to work on tool box programming reference cards, video diy's, and finish getting my custom gt3b built...i also have abunch of other electrionic doo-dads i want to start researching and developing. Hopefully get them protoyped by next spring....I'll still be on every night for about an hour lurking and answering Q's. But not constantly lurking all night/day.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Only if you want to...but here starting soon, i'm gonna wean myself rcc, so i can start getting abunch of projects thats been pileing up the past few months done. One of those include a overkill programming manual, and abunch of tutorials...also going to work on tool box programming reference cards, video diy's, and finish getting my custom gt3b built...i also have abunch of other electrionic doo-dads i want to start researching and developing. Hopefully get them protoyped by next spring....I'll still be on every night for about an hour lurking and answering Q's. But not constantly lurking all night/day.
Yeah man ill go ahead and finish it up it should help you our a little bit.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
But not constantly lurking all night/day.
I give it a week or 2 before you're back on a lot....
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #19

Default Newb ?.s

Hey, ive been looking into hacking my gt3b but being unemployed, I'm a little tight. Do I need this hack to run dual esc's? I made a4ws setup which works perfect, I have a hitec 5955tg up front and stocker out back. Until the hack I only have basic steerability from the back, but I will want to run dual esc, so do I need the hack? Also, will dual esc allow me to rin 2 nimh batteties? I have 2 saddle packs for my b44 and thought I could run one half on each corner axle. Let me know. Thanks
Jphillips472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jphillips472 View Post
Hey, ive been looking into hacking my gt3b but being unemployed, I'm a little tight. Do I need this hack to run dual esc's? I made a4ws setup which works perfect, I have a hitec 5955tg up front and stocker out back. Until the hack I only have basic steerability from the back, but I will want to run dual esc, so do I need the hack? Also, will dual esc allow me to rin 2 nimh batteties? I have 2 saddle packs for my b44 and thought I could run one half on each corner axle. Let me know. Thanks
Yes you can but with out dig. You have ti get a Y plug to put into channel 2mixing on your receiver. That is what u had to do until I hacked it.

Tags
gt3b, radio