Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Soldering Deans On Lipos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Soldering Deans On Lipos

Anything I should Know before I Solder some deans plugs on to lipo?
Never done it so just asking before I start.
WestTxRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
cherry bomb

do one lead at a time completly, to help prevent the chance of a short.

(if you are new to soldering or a rookie, choose something other then lipo's to practice on)

I also find it handy to have the other end of a deans plugged into the plug your soldering, gives more to hang onto, and if by chance you start melting the plastic it'll help hold its shape.

Last edited by fred0000; 10-12-2011 at 02:37 PM.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

x2^^^. Make sure you get the positive and negatives correct. Don't forget to put shrink on the wire first.
chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
cherry bomb

also dont cut both wires off at the same time for removing the old plug, cut one at a time the cutters will short the battery if you cut both at once, leaving the other wire attached to the old plug will be a good place for it while soldering the other wire onto the new plug.

yes, dont foreget to put shrink tube on first, and if after a few attempts you have not succeeded put it down for a few and come back to it, gives the wires and plugs time to cool, they can become extremly hot very quickly.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
also dont cut both wires off at the same time for removing the old plug, cut one at a time the cutters will short the battery if you cut both at once, leaving the other wire attached to the old plug will be a good place for it while soldering the other wire onto the new plug.

yes, dont foreget to put shrink tube on first, and if after a few attempts you have not succeeded put it down for a few and come back to it, gives the wires and plugs time to cool, they can become extremly hot very quickly.
+1 cut one at a time, been there! Also don't solder whilst intoxicated, maybe been there too Take your time and don't rush things, you should be ok.

Like was mentioned, if you've never soldered then practice on scraps.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I also like the plug a male into the female before soldering onto the female leads. This keeps all of the metal properly aligned in the plastic if you happen to heat up the plastic too much...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Make sure you have a hot enough iron. I was trying to use a 25w iron at first, and was getting pissed, cause I thought I was stupid. I've got a 45w now, works great.

Sent from my uber smart, smart phone....
asian195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Tin the wire and the deans first then solder them together while drinking a few beers. It took me awhile to get good at this but moat wires in crawler lipos are small so they solder easily. Soldering the large wires on race lipos can be tough without a good iron.
DRCrawlGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Another good tip, always heat the wire or tab first and apply solder while you are heating it. I've seen people melt the solder onto the iron and try to brush it onto the wires. Not good.
Metal Masher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:02 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Masher View Post
Another good tip, always heat the wire or tab first and apply solder while you are heating it.
That's called "tinning the connection".....just so you know.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

i always plug the female into a male as well. and make sure you have a good soldering iron, if not you will just get frustrated. getting a really nice iron is easily the best investment i've made in RC
ohh EPiC FAiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #12
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohh EPiC FAiL View Post
i always plug the female into a male as well. and make sure you have a good soldering iron, if not you will just get frustrated. getting a really nice iron is easily the best investment i've made in RC
I use a $12 hobico 60watt with tips i've ground to my liking, I do all my soldering with it, from battery conectors and bullets to soldering on PCB's I have yet to feel the need to upgrade in fact, I just ordered a proper holder for it instead of the bench rest thing it comes with

a high dollar soldering iron/station might help, but either way you're going to need to practice.

good luck, IMO anyone in the RC hobby should do their own soldering, I think its sad to see hardcore RCers going to the hobbyshop to get their soldering done.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Soldering really isnt hard, it just takes a little while to get the hang of it.

Like it has been said, tin the wire and the connector (or whatever else you will be soldering to...another wire, motor, esc, etc.)

Then put the two things you are connecting next to one another. You will want something to hold them for you, they will get hot quick. A cheap set of helping hands is a great investment and has tons of uses if you start brazing also.

Now touch both things with the iron (make sure you tip is also tinned for quick heat transfer) until you see the solder flow out and run together. If you can only get to one thats fine although it will take longer but it works the same way. If it looks like there isnt enough solder on your joint this would be the point to add some, shoot for the joint and not the tip of the iron when adding. Typically I tin the hell out of the two piece I want to join and I dont have to add any, it makes it easier and less complicated to do it this way.

Remove the iron and let the joint cool and you are done...This stage is where I usually get burned, I seem to forget about the super hot rod in my hand and end up hitting myself with it in my excitement.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

soldering onto the female leads. .[/QUOTE]

Like he said, solder the female plug to the battery. Male plug to the esc... very important....

Sent from my uber smart, smart phone....
asian195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for all the tips.
WestTxRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
+1 cut one at a time, been there! Also don't solder whilst intoxicated, maybe been there too Take your time and don't rush things, you should be ok.

Like was mentioned, if you've never soldered then practice on scraps.
You....intoxicated.....what???
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
You....intoxicated.....what???
Lol yeah good thing it was only a 2s 1050mah 20c pack, the flame shooting outta the pack was about 5"
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Lol yeah good thing it was only a 2s 1050mah 20c pack, the flame shooting outta the pack was about 5"
haven't had a laugh like that in awhile ...... thanks Meatwad lol
jon1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:20 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
do one lead at a time completly, to help prevent the chance of a short.

(if you are new to soldering or a rookie, choose something other then lipo's to practice on)

I also find it handy to have the other end of a deans plugged into the plug your soldering, gives more to hang onto, and if by chance you start melting the plastic it'll help hold its shape.
^^Yeah that x10.^^ Start by Pre-Tinning all connections and Always plug the opposite dean's plug into the one you're soldering as it will keep the plug from deforming as well as provide a little bit of 'heat sink' to it. If possible also clip an alligator clip to the other end of the plug that you are not soldering for added heat sink. If you start to melt the plug, you are holding the iron on it for too long. If you have a good wattage iron (ie: 40-45 watts) it wont take but a second or less. I recommend using a small hobby vise to hold the plug while soldering. You can pick them up fairly cheap if you don't have one already. They are a great tool for any RC'er. I found a good one at Harbor Freight for $12 bucks and it swivels and also suctions down to any flat surface. Works flawlessly. Good luck to you!
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #20
RCC Addict

once i have cut the wires, i wrap a rubber band around the battery and tuck the wire im not soldering under the band. it stop the wire flapping around, getting in the way, and possibly shorting

maybe get a couple of pieces of wire and practice first.

most stuff said previously is good advice, that or plenty of video's on youtube
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote