Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: batteries wont charge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default batteries wont charge

my battery is a Venom 5400 20C Li-Po an charger is a Dynamite Passport 6S. the battery isnt charging and i need some insight as to troubleshoot which is at fault. heres what i know, i can select the type of battery LiPo/LiFe just fine, then set the charge rate no problem my book says the charge rate indicator should blink at me if the balance plug is not connected, which does not happen. also the balance LED's should blink during charging this does not happen either. my expected charge time should be less than an hour, it was on the charger for several hours this evening and the alert never went off. which is when i realised it wasnt charging.
dieselmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

What charge rate are you setting? A setting of 5.4 amps should be fine (if your charger will go that high).

Can you read the cell voltages through your charger, if so what are they?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

setting is at 5. and no i cant read cell voltages. should i be able to read continuity through the power plug of the battery? or the balance plug?
Old 10-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #4

Default Try this

Set your charger to balance mode...most likely you are not realizing that the voltage or charging amps are incorrect. Most "Newer" chargers will not let you charge a Lipo at the wrong voltage or amps due to the fire theory.
08JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #5

Just curious, did you push and hold the start button until it beeped to start the charging cycle?

I just went through the same deal with this charger, learned I wasn't using it right...
kowalski22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Has it worked before? My last charger just stopped peaking batteries.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #7

if your battery has damaged or disconnected cell(s) your charger will believe it has a balance lead connected but for a safety precaution it wont actually charge.
I have lots of electrical expierience and i would say this is likely your problem as my charger(s) do that if there is a cell problem.
PS:it could be that a cell is below voltage
off road again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #8

if you have other batteries start by seeing if they will charge
Old 10-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

no, at the time this is the only LiPo battery i have. and now the battery is flat ass dead. i hook it up to my Night Crawler an the led for the ESC doesnt light, the LED crawler lights dont come on, an it doesnt make any kind of sound when i try to actuate speed or steering. so do i gamble on buying another Lipo? i could get one for my MRC which would be an upgrade anyway. but dont really wanna piss money away chasing ghosts i dont even know anyone locally that runs electric rc, my buddies all run nitro.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:02 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Go look in the regional forums and find someone close to you. See if they'll help you out.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Check your battery for broken leads using a voltmeter. Check the voltage at the main wires and then check each cell at the balance connector (you should see the pin through a hole which is where you would place the DVM probes.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:32 AM   #12

this might work if your lipo charger will work with out balance lead attached.check battery voltage if possible so you know where to start.

if you simply have a battery that is to too low of volts for your charger try charging it as a very small (3.6v lipo)than if it charges slightly try a 2cell setting than 3cell and so on till you get it back.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

well after reading several threads i think ive found my problem, 1 i unknowingly ran the battery to low, my igonrance of LiPo technology is to blame. i just thought it was a battery, run it till its dead an recharge it. and 2 venom is not a favored brand. so i guess i have to just bite the bullet an buy a new battery pack. i seriously considred switching to NiMh because of the maintenance associated with LiPo, but i think ill stick with it an be a little more attentive this time around. with that being said would anyone like to recommend a low voltage regulator/alarm/cutoff etc. so i dont have this issue again.