Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hitech 7950TH servo/CC BEC issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Hitech 7950TH servo/CC BEC issue

Hi everyone. I have been milling around which Steering Servo to use in my XR10 build. I have narrowed it down to the one I'm most interested in at this time both for power and price. I'm interested in the Hitech HS-7950TH servo. I recently found that they rate this servo as being 486 oz/in with a speed of 0.13 when used at 7.4v. I will be using dual Tekin FX-R's and a Castle BEC. My question is: If I'm going to use a CC BEC, will I need to have it reprogrammed to output 7.4 volts (I believe they are factory set at 5.1v, not sure, but I know they are adjustable up to 9v I believe). Anyone that uses this servo/CC BEC combo care to give me some advice? I'd really appreciate any you could give! Thanks very much!
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

It works the same..I think... Just wire the power side of the BEC to the battery plug and the out put side to the servo. Keep the signal wire intact but out of the way it helps wonders when programming the BEC its self. Run the signal wire from you servo to the receiver. You do need a castle link if your using a castle BEC to program it to 7.4 try your LHS or try an locate one so you dont have to buy it to use it once.
xjcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'm running a Hitec 7950 at 7.4 volts in my XR and it works great. I setup mine using the Castle Link. It was really easy, but if you can borrow a friend's link, or use the hobby shop's Castle Link, it'd be better for you. The bec isn't something that you'll need to adjust often.
eisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjcritter View Post
It works the same..I think... Just wire the power side of the BEC to the battery plug and the out put side to the servo. Keep the signal wire intact but out of the way it helps wonders when programming the BEC its self. Run the signal wire from you servo to the receiver. You do need a castle link if your using a castle BEC to program it to 7.4 try your LHS or try an locate one so you dont have to buy it to use it once.
So you think I should reprogram the CC BEC for 7.4v output? I'd certainly like to get the most torque, power and speed out of my steering servo and the 7950TH says it's motor is optimized for 6v -7.4 volt use. 486oz/in is quite a bit of muscle. That, I can dig! Thanks xj! Any other thoughts out there?

Last edited by DiggyStyle; 10-15-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yep, try to find someone local to help raise the BEC output to match the servo.
If you run Castle ESC's, it may be worth getting your own CClink to program all of it.

Oh, with that much torque, you WILL find the next weak link in your steering.......
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Yep, try to find someone local to help raise the BEC output to match the servo.
If you run Castle ESC's, it may be worth getting your own CClink to program all of it.

Oh, with that much torque, you WILL find the next weak link in your steering.......
"Next weak link" eh? Do you care to share that info with me Charlie...or should I just be suprised? (hint: I don't like suprises like that )
Old 10-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Default a side note

Just a side question to go with this thread. Since the CC BEC comes from factory with the output set at 5.1v, would it be ok to use with the 7950TH servo just like that? It would just give me less torque and slightly slower transit speed, right? Seems like it might be worth a try initially and that would give me room to ramp up the voltage/servo performance as I felt the situation demanded (without breaking steering parts right out of the gate?). Just curious. Thoughts?
Old 10-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyStyle View Post
"Next weak link" eh? Do you care to share that info with me Charlie...or should I just be suprised? (hint: I don't like suprises like that )
HAHAHAHA.....ROTFLMAO.......:lma o:

You have to see for yourself & your rig.
It could be the tierod, knuckles, knuckle bearings, knuckle pivots, servo arm, servo mount, etc..............
Old 10-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyStyle View Post
Just a side question to go with this thread. Since the CC BEC comes from factory with the output set at 5.1v, would it be ok to use with the 7950TH servo just like that? It would just give me less torque and slightly slower transit speed, right? Seems like it might be worth a try initially and that would give me room to ramp up the voltage/servo performance as I felt the situation demanded (without breaking steering parts right out of the gate?). Just curious. Thoughts?
Yes, you could do that. But power is a drug, once you have a bit, a bit more is better, after a while, a little more than that is even better.....all the way up until you kill the servo or break a lot of stuff. Trust me, I know..........