Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Brushed motor help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Brushed motor help

Looks like I might have toasted another motor (thats the second on in less than 2 months) I did it playing in the lake. Everything else is waterproof and the motor is still getting voltage. this motor is the tamiya dirt tuned motor 27t. Ive never tried to rebuild one but I think i could. Are all the brushess the same when Im buying new ones? Is there any tricks to keeping this motor running longer than the last one, I love to mud and hit the water. thinking about switching my waterproof brushless over but i know it will be to fast...
droppedls4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Brushed is pretty easy for the most part.

1-Wash it out when done running in sand/mud/heavy dust.
2-Let everything dry out (a hair dryer can help after shaking out most of the water)
3-Re-lube the motor bearings/bushings when the motor is dried out.
4-Brushes are either "stand up" or "lay down". Stand up has the largest brush cross section aligned with the motor axis, laydown has the largest brush cross section aligned 90* to the motor axis.

Depending on the rig, a 27T motor is a bit on the "hot" side, hopefully you've geared it down since overgearing can toast the winding insulation.
Usually a 35T is the "fast" motor, the winds go up from there for crawling.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I'm running a 45t tekin brushed set up with a 3s 4000 battery and damn that thing gets hot when it works. Hasn't failed me yet
crowninshield3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default +1 on the help issue

I've got a Novak 55t in my scaler. After a couple of passes through the mud I started to smell something burning. I then noticed the motor was glowing hot when I gave it throttle. Took it apart and blew it out, dropped it in a cup of water and ran it for a few seconds and then blew it out again. No more burning smell or glowing red but now it's making a whining noise. Other than extracting the motor from the truck and pulling it from the transmission I didn't disassemble the motor housing. Any suggestions?
Duxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duxx View Post
I've got a Novak 55t in my scaler. After a couple of passes through the mud I started to smell something burning. I then noticed the motor was glowing hot when I gave it throttle. Took it apart and blew it out, dropped it in a cup of water and ran it for a few seconds and then blew it out again. No more burning smell or glowing red but now it's making a whining noise. Other than extracting the motor from the truck and pulling it from the transmission I didn't disassemble the motor housing. Any suggestions?
It either needs the motor bushings/bearings lubed or some work done to the brushes.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote