Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Radio choice - please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Radio choice - please help

I need some valid help. I am looking to buy the radio I will use for my Axial XR10 MOA. I will be using dual Tekin FX-R's, a CC BEC and, no doubt, a Hitech 7950TH steering servo. I am only interested in Futaba and I really like the 4PKS but I've recently been looking at the 4PL as well. My choice will be one of these two radios and I do intend to do some comps as well in the near future. Can I get some serious user feedback on the main differences and considerations of both of these radios? I know, for one, the 4PKS has two mixes while the 4PL only has one. What is the 2nd mix used for and is it necessary? I don't mind spending the extra money for the 4PKS if there are functions it has over the 4PL that are truly necessary (especially since this will likely be one of the last radios I will need for the most part, I will use it for all my RC's as well). Otherwise I could save a few bucks with the 4PL. I'd love some good feedback and help from anyone with experience in these two radios. Thanks everyone!
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I know you say you are only interested in the futaba radios but the GT3B is worth a look at. plenty of mixes, up to 8 channels. $60 or so with the firmware upgrade. easily handles dual ESCs with on the fly ESC bias control. $7 spare 3 channel RX's $12 or so 6ch RX's and plenty are happy with it.
In fact many with more expensive radios have sold the old gear to pick up a 2nd GT3B
worth a look if you haven't considered it before
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I'm watching this thread. GT3B is on my radar but I'm concerned just b/c of the too good to be true factor. I know plenty have said great things but I'm still concerned (mildly). I'm also contemplating dual FXR (have 1 now) vs. 1 w/a punk dig. A dig could let me get away with less radio. Have been looking at the following:

GT3B
DX3C
DX3R
DX3S
Kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

There really isn't much of a difference in the programming of the 4PK and the 4PL. They both do the same thing. Both have proportional control of the front and rear motors. The Futaba 3PKS also works exactly the same as the 4PK as far as mixing goes. The programming of the 4PK uses channels 1,2, and 3 so the 4th channel is not necessary at all. The 3PKS uses the same menu format and programming as the 4pk.
Other than the looks, they are basically the same radio minus one channel on the 3pk. Differences between the 4PK and 4PL is in the frequency, the 4PK and 3PKS use the FASST system when the 4PL uses the less expensive FHSS system. They both work well, but the FASST system is well, Faster!
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

4pk its a great radio and feels comfortable in your hand
T1DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I was concerned as well. I jumped in around the time the hack kit became available. previously people bought and programed the board themselves.
setup of the mixes and re-mapping the buttons seems intimidating at first..especially if you dont already have the GT3B but once you remember the menu names its quite easy ( if not there is a step by step for nearly every option)
I run a berg with a Single FXR and punk dig (eventually dual FXR)
SCX with summit trans & winch
and a few losi micros (crawlers and SCT/Rally )
all perform flawlessly. there are no performance or reliability issues on my end or that I've read. there may be some tiny things some dont like. like the weight of 8 AA's but that is easily fixed with a lipo and/or the voltage regulator.
even if you have the radio premoded with all the extras and a handfull of spare RX's you will come in a few hundred dollars less than the more expensive brands. if you dont like it you can easily sell it for what you paid. in fact I have yet to see a used one FS and Im sure thats because everyone likes them.

for the money you cant beat it. all buttons are able to be remaped to other channels and able to perform differently. for example. momentary,step rate, ect ect,
Dual ESC, 4WS.
another bonus is that its sold under a few other brands making spare RX's easy to find, HobbyKing,FlySky & Eurgle

Once I get caught up on $$ and work on the scaler and berg a bit more i definitely plan on a 2nd GT3B as a backup for friends.

BTW on a sidenote when i go out to comp a few buddies with spektrums and futabas really like the radio for the $ and i have more features than most if not all of them

IMO its worth a shot. like i said you can easily sell it if you dont like it, but i doubt you will
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I run a 2.2 Bully MOA with dual ESC's & a WantAmix on a Futaba 3PM-x, works well.
My son runs a 2.2 Bully with dual ESC's on a Futaba 4PL.

If I'd known I would want 4 channels I would have gotten the 4PL, but it's a bit cheaper than the 4PL.

Both have been great radios.

I have only owned Futaba since the late 70's.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:17 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I dont even have my GT3B hacked yet, but this radio is near flawless. Ive had no problems with it, the receivers are dirt cheap and super small, and its a comfortable radio to use (third channel takes a bit to adapt to though....still not bad).

Once hacked, its near unstoppable compared to radios 3x the price.
AG74683 is offline   Reply With Quote