Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hitec Warranty?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Hitec Warranty?

I was browsing on Hitec's website trying to find some sort of registration for my 2 new 7950TH servos.

Normally I don't really keep the receipts since I buy the 645MGs and used 5645MGs...

But with these two new 7950THs I definitely want coverage so I have both receipts. What is their standard warranty on these digital servos?

http://www.hitecrcd.com/files/serviceform.pdf

Also if I waterproof them does that void the warranty? Meaning taking them apart...using white lithium and using plastidip on the ends.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

There should be a piece of paper that was packed with the servo covering the warranty.

I just had to send my 7950 in. The motor was bad according the the work order.
Also, they fixed the mounting tabs. One of them broke. pretty quick with it too!
KnoJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I looked through all the documentation in the servo box but nothing on warranty. There's just 2 little pages in there...one on programming and the other on general servo information.

Also it says "modifying your servo will void the warranty." Does that mean taking it apart to waterproof it will void the warranty?!

I've done it countless times on cheaper Hitec servos...just don't want to do it on my 7950's.

Last edited by alexchen86; 10-18-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
Also it says "modifying your servo will void the warranty." Does that mean taking it apart to waterproof it will void the warranty?!
Pretty sure you just answered your own question there.

Hitec is is so specific about their warranty that they will not cover it if you use the wrong type of grease on the gears. So pretty much if you do ANYTHING to the servo, you are voiding your warranty. On another note, I've never waterproofed a single servo and I have never fried one due to water even driving under water for long periods of time. Most all servo's come from the factory pretty well sealed.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker View Post
Pretty sure you just answered your own question there.

Hitec is is so specific about their warranty that they will not cover it if you use the wrong type of grease on the gears. So pretty much if you do ANYTHING to the servo, you are voiding your warranty. On another note, I've never waterproofed a single servo and I have never fried one due to water even driving under water for long periods of time. Most all servo's come from the factory pretty well sealed.
They warrantied my 7955 4 times in a year, all 4 times there was red n tacky grease in them, and other noticable mods done to it...

So in my experience hitec is very good with warranty work. Although the 4th time i sent it in they just sent me a new servo and told me that theres no warranty on it
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Well if I recall correctly don't Hitec servos use white lithium grease anyway?

I am only packing the top spline area once the servo is taken apart. Then usually I put an O ring over the spline then the horn on top. Then plastidip the entire thing and cut out the heatsinks...

I read on another board that Hitec servos although well sealed after a period of time the seals do tend to crack inside.

Wrecker, so you've submerged several Hitecs without worry?! Wow! I can't imagine submerging a $100+ servo lol.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Both my 7950 and 7980 have spent extended time underwater. They come from the factory pretty well sealed. I do put grease in the gearbox. I've sent Hitec some pretty jacked up servos and they've always replaced them with new ones.... probably the best warranty service in the industry, just keep your receipt.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I have a 7954SH that started jittering whenever underwater, despite supposedly being dust/water tight. I pulled it all apart thoroughly cleaned everything with Mass Air Flow cleaner and filled the sucker with dielectric grease. All was well until I stripped the gears out today, so it lasted a total of six monthes of heavy abuse in and SCX.

I wouldn't trust any of Hitec's servo's to be "waterproof", cause water will find it's way in no matter what, and when it gets on the potentiometer the servo won't always center, or will jitter, as mine did.

The gear set alone is half of what I paid for the servo, and it doesn't even come with output shaft bearings, which mine also needs due to water intrusion. Does anyone know if the stronger Titanium gears out of another Hitec model will work on the 7954SH?

Does anyone have a dimension or part number for the O-ring that works well to seal the output of the Hitecs? I have a bunch of assortments of O-rings and none seem to fit quite right.

I don't know about the seals cracking or wearing out, as all the O-rings and the grommet around the input wires are still in great shape, even after being taken apart and reassembled.

I assumed from the beggining that filling it with dielectric would void the warranty. Does the warrenty cover the gears stripping?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
They warrantied my 7955 4 times in a year, all 4 times there was red n tacky grease in them, and other noticable mods done to it...

So in my experience hitec is very good with warranty work. Although the 4th time i sent it in they just sent me a new servo and told me that theres no warranty on it
That's how I used to hear that their warranty was, pretty much do what ever you want and they will send a new one. I think things have changed recently though because "TURTLE" on here just sent in two servos for warranty work and they refused to warranty them due to incorrect grease used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
Well if I recall correctly don't Hitec servos use white lithium grease anyway?

I am only packing the top spline area once the servo is taken apart. Then usually I put an O ring over the spline then the horn on top. Then plastidip the entire thing and cut out the heatsinks...

I read on another board that Hitec servos although well sealed after a period of time the seals do tend to crack inside.

Wrecker, so you've submerged several Hitecs without worry?! Wow! I can't imagine submerging a $100+ servo lol.
I've submerged many servo's of many brands many times and I've never had a problem. I wouldn't say I wasn't worried about it though. So far I guess I've just been lucky.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Some Hitech info from their website under service bulletins.

HS-20110524 HS-7940/7945/7950TH Jumping/Glitching

In some cases, when using the 7940/45/50's in applications that require a very long extension, they may randomly jump (glitch) when powered by 2S LiPo/Li-Ion batteries. Although this may occur with many systems, it is most commonly found when using JR/Spektrum type RX's, especially the Power Safe versions. We have discovered that due to the resistance in long extension wires, the signal voltage drops, thus causing the issue. We recommend that only high-quality, twisted, 22-guage, high strand count, gold connector extensions be used. In the event that this does not resolve the problem, there are a few options. The use of a signal line booster like that made by Spektrum, and soon to be available by Hitec, resolves the issue in almost all cases. Another option is to solder a .22 tantalum capacitor between +/- on the extension. These solutions are typically only needed when using Li-Po/Li-Ion batteries to lower the voltage below 7 volts and is not needed when using 5-cell NiCd/NiMH or LiFe batteries.
We are aware that these are high voltage servos designed to operate at the maximum voltage allowed for maximum performance. However, to accommodate some radio systems, steps may be required to assure the above issue will not occur. Hitec apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause and is working on a series of new Ultra Heavy Duty extensions (with and without boosters) that will resolve this issue.
HS-20100520 HS-79XX Series Servo - Minimal Load Jitter

Applies to HS-7965/7985/7955/7954/7940/7950 servos
Customers have noticed that these high resolution servos have a tendency to jitter when using 7.4 volt power packs and a minimal load is applied. This is due to the high resolution circuit adjusting for slight position variances in the gear teeth. This usually only occurs with minimal loads, for example, when the plane is on the ground in a static position. Once airborne the servo experiences flying loads and the issue resolves itself and should not impact on the flying experience.
AZrcdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:20 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Here's Hitec's warranty guys per their CSR...

Thank you for choosing Hitec products. We offer a 2 year warranty on all of our products against manufacturer defects. The warranty is based off of the date of purchase, so all you need to do is keep file of the receipts to show proof of the date. We do not use product registration. Thank you,

Billy Tompkins
Customer Service Rep.
Hitec RCD, LLC Multiplex
USAPhone (85 748- 8440
Fax (85 859-2618
12115 Paine St.
Poway CA, 92064