Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Axial AE-2 Won't chime.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Axial AE-2 Won't chime.

Thanks for any help in advance. I am running a axial AE-2 in a rock racer FOF type rig with some wheel speed. That being said I have a traxxas slash motor in this beast. Hooked all up tonight and the esc is not chiming which tells me it is not connecting between the motor. I hooked the white wire to red and black to black. I did setup the esc with castle link and it was set to "Brushed High Power" The motor is soldiered on not connected. Any thoughts?
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
I hooked the white wire to red and black to black. I did setup the esc with castle link and it was set to "Brushed High Power" The motor is soldiered on not connected. Any thoughts?
Umm, isn't it suppposed to red-red & blk-blk? (white wire not used)

Edit:My bad, sorry. Thought it had all three.

Edit: You did setup w/ the Castle Link, did you then do your calibration (via transmitter) with trim set to zero? When you solered the wires on, you didn't happen to melt the plastic endbell, did you?

Last edited by Trubble; 10-19-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Pretty sure I did not melt the end bell. I did do the castle link and also did the calibration. I am worried the high power setting is the issue.

RickM
Old 10-20-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks for any help in advance. I am running a axial AE-2 in a rock racer FOF type rig with some wheel speed. That being said I have a traxxas slash motor in this beast. Hooked all up tonight and the esc is not chiming which tells me it is not connecting between the motor. I hooked the white wire to red and black to black. I did setup the esc with castle link and it was set to "Brushed High Power" The motor is soldiered on not connected. Any thoughts?
Too much motor for the ESC? The Ae-2 will only handle a 19t,
the Titan 12t is a 550 = to a 15t 540 motor

edit* guess you couldn't have smoked the ESC yet if you havn't run it yet...lol
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Alright. So it sounds like it is not the esc but the motor. I got the esc new and never run for $30. Guess its going in my sons fastback. Time to play esc musical chairs.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

those Titans are either good or bad. I've had a few that lasted for a long time and few that lasted only a couple packs....
Old 10-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Set the controller to brushed reversing mode. High power mode won't work without some funky wiring, and it is forward only.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
Proverbial threadkiller

Okay, I've got a question regarding the AE-2 and BR-XL. (The laptop I have my Castle program on popped yet another backlight, so I can't check this.)

Do the Axial and Holmes Hobbies ESC's have their own programs, or do you just hook these up to the CastleLink as if they were a Sidewinder?
Old 10-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #9
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

They have their own firmwares. The only thing that our ESCs share with the sidewinder is a plastic case.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
Okay, I've got a question regarding the AE-2 and BR-XL. (The laptop I have my Castle program on popped yet another backlight, so I can't check this.)

Do the Axial and Holmes Hobbies ESC's have their own programs, or do you just hook these up to the CastleLink as if they were a Sidewinder?
The AE-2 and BR-XL are brushed only, the sidewinder is brushed/BL.
Each ESC has their own "programing screen", that comes up with the castle link, with diff. options for each ESC.

They all hook up to the castle link the same way- through the plug that goes into the rx... As far as I know the old Mamba Max is the only esc with the usb port on the esc...
Old 10-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #11
RCC Addict

The AE-2 definitely has limited options compared to a sidewinder. I bought it used thinking it really would be usable as essentially a sidewinder but I was wrong.

I did not get instructions or anything with it so I am kindof in the dark on this thing but it was $30, so I got that going for me!
Old 10-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The AE-2 definitely has limited options compared to a sidewinder. I bought it used thinking it really would be usable as essentially a sidewinder but I was wrong.

I did not get instructions or anything with it so I am kindof in the dark on this thing but it was $30, so I got that going for me!
Instructions are on Axial's website. Just use you Castle Link to program it. I have one in my kids rig and it works just fine running 3s with a BEC.
McTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Thanks Garry. I did go and look now at the instructions and darned if it does not say pretty clearly that it has a turn limit. My plan now is to pull the MMP out of my kids shafty and put the MMP in my "project"

RickM
Old 10-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #14
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
They have their own firmware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R/CMaxximus5.0 View Post
Each ESC has their own "programing screen", that comes up with the castle link, with diff. options for each ESC.
Okay, thanks.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks Garry. I did go and look now at the instructions and darned if it does not say pretty clearly that it has a turn limit. My plan now is to pull the MMP out of my kids shafty and put the MMP in my "project"

RickM
Whats the project and when are we going to do lunch?
McTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:17 AM   #16

Default AE-2 not chiming

I found by accident that my SCX with the same set up would not chime. Turn all items off, reverse the throtle servo switch, turn on receiver, then transmitter and if it now works backwards just reverse what you did and all should be well.
i found that if the battery leads are pulled while the receiver is on and the transmitter is off this sometimes can occur.......I can get this to happen about once every twenty times......
Curby
curby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #17
Lo3

Default Re: Axial AE-2 Won't chime.

My AE-2 got wet while running in the snow, now it is on full throttle all by itself. I can't get it to calibrate and it just pulses the motor when plugged in. Is my esc toast? Is there a way to reload firmware is castle link? I have tried different motors and the servo still has power and functions properly, thanks in advance
Lo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Axial AE-2 Won't chime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo3 View Post
My AE-2 got wet while running in the snow, now it is on full throttle all by itself. I can't get it to calibrate and it just pulses the motor when plugged in. Is my esc toast? Is there a way to reload firmware is castle link? I have tried different motors and the servo still has power and functions properly, thanks in advance
I would dry out the ESC. Put it in a warm spot for a day or 2, maybe even pack it in a container with uncooked rice for a couple of days.

The ESC may still be dead, but to be sure you HAVE to be sure it's dry inside.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote