MARKETABLE 1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: lipo fire-proof charging case?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default lipo fire-proof charging case?

i'm new to the lipo scene, and was wondering:

does anyone make a fire-proof charging enclosure for lipo batts BESIDES those flimsy looking "SACKS"?

would there be a market for a charging cradle for lipo batts, that if they did vent and ignite, the force and flames would be directed up, and not out...
it is light weight, strong, locking (meaning if it fell, the lid wont come off) and it wouldn't harm anything around it? not bulky like the ceramic vases, or cinder blocks...

just a feeler, i have something in the works, will be testing this weekend, need to get some lipo's and ignite them to test my design..

i want ALL input... if you know of such a thing, let me know, and maybe link me to it.

OH and my design is 100% american made...

ALL INPUT WELCOME AND ENCOURAGED!
phantom309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

a cheap metal tool box works great just make some jumper wires from your charger and pop them through the side of it and use some high heat muffler cement to seal the wires through the side and there you go cheap easy reasonably fire proof and lockable

Mastercraft Red Metal Toolbox, 17-in | Canadian Tire

Last edited by scorpion_ax; 10-21-2011 at 11:44 PM.
scorpion_ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

ammo box
korn_2956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:03 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

My son & I use charging sacks.

Others use ammo boxes or tool boxes. Ammo boxes can be had fairly cheap and cover all your criteria.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/elect...ch-thread.html $28 for 4 cans.

AMMO BOXES-Omahas Army/Navy Surplus - other options.

I'm not saying to not go for it, I'm saying here are options for others and what you may be up against.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:33 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

so far, so good, yes, i know there are PLENTY out there; however, my idea takes up WAY less room than an ammo can, you could probably put 5-10 of mine in an ammo can... i'm TRYING to keep the cost around 20 - 30.00, the manuf. on them is high right now, because of the R& D side of things, (luckily i'm a draftsman, so i don't have to pay for the detailing costs... )... LOL but i can say, reusable, STRONG, and do NOT take up a lot of space...

i'll let ya'll know how things go...
phantom309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #6

Hello
metal biscuit tin..
but never need it, no problems.
Turn on the brain when start charging... best protection !

werner7
werner7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #7
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom309 View Post
does anyone make a fire-proof charging enclosure for lipo batts BESIDES those flimsy looking "SACKS"?

would there be a market for a charging cradle for lipo batts, that if they did vent and ignite, the force and flames would be directed up, and not out...
LipoLocker's website isn't working over here, so I didn't include a link. Looked like a good idea but seemed to be bulky, cumbersome, and required a huge amount of customer finishing. If it had been a little more "pull it out of the box and it's ready to go", I might have considered one.

Hopefully whatever you've got up your sleeve is going to be a bit more consumer friendly. I'd be okay with minor assembly, so long as all needed parts were included. I'd even be fine with soldering my own ends on any charging cables, provided the cables were already installed through whatever panels they needed to pass through.

Look forward to seeing what you're thinking about, sounds interesting.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:51 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I have been using lipo for over 5 years and never used a sack or case. I never charge them when I am not around either. I have never had a single lipo catch fire or even overheat while charging. I simply charge in a hard surface and keep an eye out. If I was to use something it would be something cheap like an ammo box or other metal box.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I've been using LiPO's for 1.5 years, only had one go (my son's) and I don't think he did anything wrong.
Since then, we both use charging sacks.
And yes, I've been charging NiCD's & NiMH's for close to 30 years.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #10
Suck it up!

I charge and store out in the open on a shelf. I keep a close eye on my batteries and their performance. If one seems wonky, like if a cell is dying or doesn't want to charge properly, then I watch it really closely when it charges. If I don't feel comfortable with it I discharge it and take it out of service. Never had a fire, never had an accident.

Like werner7 said, use your brain.

Also, you might want to read this: No more non-vendor feeler threads
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I charge and store out in the open on a shelf. I keep a close eye on my batteries and their performance. If one seems wonky, like if a cell is dying or doesn't want to charge properly, then I watch it really closely when it charges. If I don't feel comfortable with it I discharge it and take it out of service. Never had a fire, never had an accident.

Like werner7 said, use your brain.

Also, you might want to read this: No more non-vendor feeler threads
X2, I've never had a issue, but I never leave them unattended while charging. I have a sack but just never use it anymore.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #12
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
I have a sack but just never use it anymore.
You're married too, huh?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #13
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
X2, I've never had a issue, but I never leave them unattended while charging. I have a sack but just never use it anymore.
X3, when I first got into lipo I took ALL the steps to safe lipo charging, charged in a lipo sack the whole 9 yards (I live in an apartment so that was part of the reason) now I store them all in a metal cookie tin, some in a sack some not (just to cheap to buy more lipo bags) never had an issue, or seen an issue in person. everyone I know into RC uses lipo, I get made fun of for my lipo bags "you scared or something"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
You're married too, huh?
LOL
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

ammo box..yard sale...5 bucks

lipo sack 20 bucks.....now they are cheaper..stores all my lips in and when I charge.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I always have used the lipo sacks for charging. Especially if I'm indoors at my local shop, it's policy there. I have noticed at an event I attended one day there was an individual that was charging his lipos in the sack. One went up, and he lost all his lipos in the sack. It was indoors and the smell was horrible. Took a couple of hours to vent the place out. The sacks kept the battery(ies) contained and away from anyone else's stuff and person. Be careful!!
Thanks
Stavin Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote