Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What is Going on with my lipos???!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 07:08 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default What is Going on with my lipos???!

This is the craziest thing ever.

All of my on-road/off-road rc's are brushless so I have about 14 different packs of lipos.

Ranging from Venom, Cheap Battery Packs, Duratrax, Turnigy, Max Amps, Sky Lipo, and Gens Ace. From 850mah 2s packs to 5300 mah 3s packs and a few 1000mah 4s packs. ALWAYS BALANCE CHARGED ALWAYS LVC AND NEVER COMPLETELY DRAINED THE PACKS.

I've been using a Hyperion EO0606i to balance charge after each run. These past quarter of months I've been pretty tied up with work, so I stored all my lipos by the "Lipo Store" function on the charger with balance tap on.

Now 90% of the lipos have a bad first cell sitting around 2.7V and the rest of the cells are equal around 3.41V I cannot balance charge them. I tried boosting the low voltage packs hoping the first cell can reach a voltage where all the cells are close enough for me to do a "lipo balance" function on the charger before lipo balance charging.

Is it my charger acting up? I read off the voltages on my charger's display and also plugged up a voltage meter to the packs and they are confirmed to be totally out of balance.

I'm completely lost!!

Would getting an external balancer/discharger help my situation?

Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-flite-EFLC...85664127436802

Last edited by alexchen86; 10-22-2011 at 07:21 AM.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Sucks.
If I get a low pack like you have, I charge them for a few minutes on a NiMH or NiCD setting to get them up a bit, then go back to a LiPO balance charge.
My packs usually don't sit that long, but I store at close to full charge.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Okay this is really weird ALL of my lipo packs are out of whack according to my Hyperion EO0606i.

I have a brand new Turnigy 5000mah nanotech 2s I just soldered a new plug on yesterday and it isn't balanced so I can't balance charge.

This MUST be a charger issue right?

The charger is not even that old 3 years tops. Never had any issues in the past. Should I contact Hyperion?
Old 10-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
Okay this is really weird ALL of my lipo packs are out of whack according to my Hyperion EO0606i.

I have a brand new Turnigy 5000mah nanotech 2s I just soldered a new plug on yesterday and it isn't balanced so I can't balance charge.

This MUST be a charger issue right?

The charger is not even that old 3 years tops. Never had any issues in the past. Should I contact Hyperion?
Can you see the individual cell voltages from the charger (I can with my Venom Pro Charger)?
If so, do those voltages agree with a seperate voltmeter?

It could be the charger, not sure yet.

Nevermind, your 1st post states what you did. Do you have someone local that can use their battery charger? If so, try it out and see what happens, it will make a better case for getting repairs done. Although @ 3 years you are likely out of warranty.

Last edited by Charlie-III; 10-22-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Confirmed definitely my charger has gone bad on the balance port. It reads incorrect voltages. I went to my LHS and tried their shop Hyperion EOS0606i charger and every single one of my lipos were balanced and charged fine.

(Yeah...I'm a regular so that saved me a bunch of headache!)

I can scroll through the display to see individual cells but when I balance charge for some reason the first cell of all 21 of my lipo packs are always either too high voltage or too low.

I will be contacting Empire according to my LHS where I purchased my charger...weird theirs is about 4-5 years old with no problems. Mine is less than 2.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
Keep it real

Try a new tap plug first, my buddy's is doing the same thing and when Christhebatteryman looked at it that is what he suggested first with the hyperion.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote