Notices

Thread: HH Motor Timing Question..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default HH Motor Timing Question..

11/3/11 EDIT: New question in post#5!

Hey Guys...

I have a question regarding my Holmes 13T Crawlmaster Motor.

In the paper work that came with my motor it says "Motors come with 0 timing but it is strongly suggested that you set the timing to 6 degrees of timing or more"
Now, It says that each hash mark is 12 degrees. So, I simply moved it from where it was when i got it (0 degrees / the mark to the right in the picture) to where I believe is (6 degrees / where the mark is now in the picture)

Can anyone confirm that this is correct?

Also, Im curious as to why the motors dont already come timed to where it is strongly suggested they run at? anyone have any input on this?

Thanks!

Last edited by Die-Laughing; 11-03-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Most crawler motors come with "0" timing since they don't know what direction it needs to rotate in your rig.
If you buy a pair of motors for a MOA (you have to specifiy it on the order) there is a motor labeled "front" and a motor labeled "rear" with the correct timing for each.

So, you have to determine which way your motor rotates and then spin the endbell AGAINST that direction for advance.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yes that's about 6° timing (so long as its a normal rotation motor).

As for why they don't come set with it unless specified JRH would be the one to answer that.
But as Charlie III said, maybe it's because not known if people are going to run the motor in normal rotation or reverse rotation. So its better to be safe with neutral timing to allow for install either way.

If you set the motor to advanced timing on the can (like you have), but installed it into a rig that needs a reverse rotation set up. It would end up running 6° retarded, which kills comm, brushes and does generally bad things all round.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Thanks guys!
Old 11-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Ok.. I have another question regarding this matter.

Here is a picture I modified of a motors timing marks.

My question is.. If I'm going to be running the motor in reverse because my Transmission is flipped around and I want to run 6 degrees of positive timing.. do I simply reverse polarity on the motor?
I understand that whichever way the motor turns, to advance the timing you must spin the endbell AGAINST that direction.
Does that mean that, Because my motor is going to be wired up in reverse, I must set the timing the opposite of where I have it set to in my first post pic?
Meaning, I would have to set it into the "blue marks" in the picture in this post?

Thanks.

Edit: after reading it back, it really seems like I'm answering my own questions but, I just want to make sure. For some reason I have it in the back of my head that I need to do something with the motor in regards to turning it 180* or something because there is timing marks on the opposite side of the endbell as well.. Hmm.

Last edited by Die-Laughing; 11-03-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

You can do 1 of 2 things...

Swap wires and set timing correct for the reverse rotation

Rotate the endbell 180* and set timing
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
You can do 1 of 2 things...

Swap wires and set timing correct for the reverse rotation

Rotate the endbell 180* and set timing
Ok, I think I'm interested in swapping the wires at the motor to reverse polarity. Now, Do I use the same marks to time the motor? Only, instead of putting the "0" mark halfway between the first and second mark on the endbell as seen in the picture to achive 6* of timing... I would instead move the "0" mark that same distance but away from the marks OR to the right of the first mark in the picture.

Sorry if this is a little confusing but, I dont quite understand fully.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:44 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

If you have reversed the polarity, looking down at the endbell you would turn it clockwise by the appropriate amount (about half a hash mark for 6°).
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #9
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You are correct that the your blue lines are what is used for reverse rotation motors.

At first I set all motors to 6 degrees timing before shipping. After having LOTS of burned up motors I realized that the average person does not read directions, does not understand timing, and will not check rotation direction before installing the motor. Zero timing allows for the average customer to install the motor without a certain and quick death, even through it is not the ideal timing. Now I have a text box for people buying motors direct so I can time motors for their rig.

The real issue is that there is no standard direction for motor rotation with crawlers. The only true known is MOA rigs. Every shafty can be built with so many ways to flip the rotation, it can be a crap shoot. Between flipping the tranny, mirroring the AX10 tranny build, flipping axles, flipping diffs, and building the rig backwards- who the hell knows what to expect?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Thanks for the help/explaination. It all makes sense now.

Now, one more question before I call it quits with this thread..

I dont have the Instructions that came with the motor but, I want to know where the wires need to be soldered to the motor.
I was planning on doing a trial & error type deal and if it wasnt what I wanted just swap them.
But, is there an easier way? A standard method?

For some reason im thinking that there is 4 prongs on the back of the motor for wires to go, is that assumption correct? If so, do I only ever attach 2 wires kiddy corner from each other and never next to each other?

Thanks.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #11

You can solder the wires on any way you want, as long as you don't short out the ESC. Anywhere on the hood is fair game really, the tabs just make it easy.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Yeah, I dont want to short out the ESC.

From the sounds of it, the only way I could possibly short out the ESC is to connect both wires to the same prong on the motor. That just seems like a no-no.
So, your saying.. I can connect the two wires from the ESC to the motor on any of the 4 prongs and in any combination of those prongs that best fits my needs. Whether it be the 2 prongs next to each other on any side or 2 prongs across from each other.. So long as both wires dont go to the same spot.

Am I understanding correctly?

Thanks!

I hope this thread is useful to others in the future.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #13

You cant connect both wires to the same gold plated brush hood. Be sure that only one wire is connected to each so the current goes through the motor instead of just through a bit of metal.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
After having LOTS of burned up motors I realized that the average person does not read directions, does not understand timing, and will not check rotation direction before installing the motor.
Directions???!!!!, I always thought it was just part of the packaging.....
Yes, "0" timing probably helps you out. MOA's can have the motors installed on the wrong end though.....
Old 11-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
You can't connect both wires to the same gold plated brush hood. Be sure that only one wire is connected to each so the current goes through the motor instead of just through a bit of metal.
+1. The gold parts are called brush hoods, you can connect the ESC wires anywhere on the brush hood, but only 1 wire from the ESC to each brush hood.