Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Anyone running a DeWalt motor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Anyone running a DeWalt motor?

I was lurking around Robot Market Place and noticed the 'New style' DeWalt motors for a great price. I'm checking to see if anyone has any real experience with them, I'm considering trying on in the heavy azz Willys Jeep.

Last edited by BigSki; 10-25-2011 at 12:40 PM.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

not running one, but ive only heard great things about them! they are a power house from what ive seen! i know my drill can take a ass kicking and keeps wanting more, but i think they use alot of power too.
OntarioCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I have the 14.4 volt one in an Emaxx. Crazy torque on 4s lipo. It would be perfect for a heavy azz Willys Jeep.

They are BIG. Much larger than a typical 540 sized motor.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
I have the 14.4 volt one in an Emaxx. Crazy torque on 4s lipo. It would be perfect for a heavy azz Willys Jeep.

They are BIG. Much larger than a typical 540 sized motor.
thanks for the input! any chance you could give me some basic dimensions when you get a chance, like overall length and diameter?
Old 10-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Ask and ya shall recieve. I didnt have emaxx motor size but 540,550 and brand new dewalt 14.4. Its huge, tad heavy. I got mine for my summit but summit was stolen. I did have one in a stock emaxx and preety quick, lots torque.

rockeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Try fitting that sucker in a 1.9 comp rig!!

Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockeater View Post
Ask and ya shall recieve. I didnt have emaxx motor size but 540,550 and brand new dewalt 14.4. Its huge, tad heavy. I got mine for my summit but summit was stolen. I did have one in a stock emaxx and preety quick, lots torque.

Good Gawd!! that thing is a monster, I'll be surprised if I have enough room for that motor. Thanks for the pics.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Hey np. I remember looking for pics of one these when I was gonna install this one into my summit. Now its a nice paper wieght
Old 10-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hey np. I remember looking for pics of one these when I was gonna install this one into my summit. Now its a nice paper wieght
LMK if you decide to sell it, if nothing else I can use it in the next Willys build.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I also have the 14.4 version in my E-maxx on 4s. Rolling wheelies on command and enough torque to break every single stock drivetrain part while still producing similar top speeds to the stock titans.

I would definately reccomend it in a heavy rig as it has gobs of torque and was built with abuse and longevity in mind. How hard on the motor is it when a 200 pound guy really leans into while drilling? And for how many hours a day? Mine has about thirty runs on it, and the brushes aren't even quite fully seated yet.

My only issue with it was that because the motor is so heavy it actually started to pull the crimpings apart that hold the can to the endbells because of all the brutal landings from big jumps. I just put a couple welds to hold it all together and it has been bulletproof. Oh, and you must run capacitors unless your running 2.4ghz or you will have crappy range and interference.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
LMK if you decide to sell it, if nothing else I can use it in the next Willys build.

Actually i do i just listed it with a few other things in the b/s/t section, should show up soon after its approved.

have ya checked out youtube videos for this motor? There are quite a few and thats what inspired me to get it
Old 10-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Ran one in my Summit on 6s,worked like a charm
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Actually i do i just listed it with a few other things in the b/s/t section, should show up soon after its approved.

have ya checked out youtube videos for this motor? There are quite a few and thats what inspired me to get it

I'll check out YT and find a few vids. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I have one of those in my summit. Running on 4s is runs pretty good. i have it geared down currently.
when i was on stock gearing with stock tires it would flip right to the bumper in 2nd gear when u punched the throttle.
Rxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
My only issue with it was that because the motor is so heavy it actually started to pull the crimpings apart that hold the can to the endbells because of all the brutal landings from big jumps. I just put a couple welds to hold it all together and it has been bulletproof. ........
I wondered about that since it isn't a one piece can like a typical rc motor. So far mine hasn't pulled apart.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote