Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Motor direction ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Motor direction ?

I've been searching and reading all the Internet has to offer for days now and I'm still confused.
I feel many of us have been burning up motors for years because we reversed the motor wires thinking it was all ok to do so.
I understand motor timing and how it effects speed and power. If your motor has timing advance and you switch directions then your timing will be set to negative and this is not good. It will produce heat and inefficiency.

So here's the issue.. I buy a new motor for my truck. Let's say it's an scx10 honcho. I install it, red to red black to black, radio switch is on normal. However, my truck now drives backward when I hit forward throttle. In the past I would just switch the red and black wires. BUT... Now I read I cannot do this. So how do I fix the problem???
I can switch my radio to reverse, but this still has my brushed motor spinning backward for the truck to move forward does it not? This can't be good..

Next issue,, a sensored brushless.. Same truck, same problem. In this case can I set the manual timing the other way and run reverse ? Do I set 0* and then use my MMP castle link to set timing and motor direction?

My brain is melting here,,, please help. I will read any and all suggestions, fact or opinions..

Many thanks
Greg

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Brushed is rather easy, look at the timing marks and think of how they relate to motor rotation. Adjust mechanical timing as required.
Brushless may take a bit more work, depends on your setup.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

So if it's a sealed can cheapo motor I'm basically out of luck.. Lol..
Kinda figured ....

I emailed Novak to ask about my 18.5 ballistic sensored brushless..

Thanks

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Brushed is rather easy, look at the timing marks and think of how they relate to motor rotation. Adjust mechanical timing as required.
True.

To expand on that, for a brushed motor, loosen the end bell and spin it 180*. Just make a reference mark on the can if there isn't already one there. If its a sealed can, you're pretty much boned unless you know how to successfully disassemble/reassemble them.

If its a non-sensored brushless, swap any two of the wires. Doesn't matter which two.

If its sensored, it really depends on the manufacturer and how they've got their system set up. Though from a little bit of googling it appears its mostly software related changes.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i know there is a thread about brushed motor maintenance and all sorts of tips, it would be a good thing for you to read. i'm still uneducated on brushed, but that thread has taught me a lot.

as far as brushless goes, it's all switched within the ESC for motor reversing in a sensored setup. i believe the mechanical timing works the same direction both in regular and reversed, unlike a brushed motor where you advance the timing in the opposite direction for a reversed motor.
ohh EPiC FAiL is offline   Reply With Quote