Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mmp vs rs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default Mmp vs rs

Well, building a lcc shafty and can't decide if i want to go castle or tekin for the esc...curently i have a 17.5t redline, and it'll be getting a super torque rotor...i found it funny that they mention only use it in worm gear situtaions, or something that can handle the extreme torque...if the plastic gears in a lcc tranny can handle it, then why can't the plastic gears in another tranny handle it

Anyways I like tekin, tekin has always been good to me. But castle is a good option as well. So i can't decided if i want the RS (possibly pro) or the MMP. So whats the advantages and disadvatages for them (other than size, i was going to run an RX8 till holmes released his esc, but that trade took a unexpected u turn)

Also MMP is compatible with tekin sensors right?
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
RCC Addict

The castle mmp comes with a much better warranty. that in itself would seal the deal for me.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Also MMP is compatible with tekin sensors right?
All sensor wires are the same (other than the length). I have a Losi motor hooked up to my MMP1C using a TQRacing sensor wire.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I have a MMP in my rustler with a 4600kv motor. it has ran excellent. no issues what so ever and has hit 69.6mph.
I have heard about castle doing stress testing on them, their thermal protection kicks in at 256* from what i have heard.
Hope that helps
Rob
Rxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
The castle mmp comes with a much better warranty. that in itself would seal the deal for me.
Unless them chassis's i just posted in the 4 sale section get sold, i'm buying used So warranty isn't a huge issue.

I'm always on a tight budget, great thing about not having money is you shop smarter and cheaper...
Old 10-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I used a Tekin RS in my LCC for two years and never had any issues with it. Worked each time and every time.

You can't beat it for size, functionality and support. (Castle's is good but Tekin's is great). There isn't much room in a LCC chassis and the Tekin fit in it, not hanging off the rear, but in the chassis. The motor wires were like 1.5" long and used a 100mm sensor cable.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

A guy here (bigbird31) runs the tekin and I have the MM, soon to be the MMP. I think the only thing I can think of is the MMP can go to 6s, His has the bigger cap on it, so it can handle the 4S, but with no lipo cut off.

other than that, I really couldn't see the difference in the tekin or the castle..both handled 3s and our motors very compairable.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxracer View Post
I have a MMP in my rustler with a 4600kv motor. it has ran excellent. no issues what so ever and has hit 69.6mph.
I have heard about castle doing stress testing on them, their thermal protection kicks in at 256* from what i have heard.
Hope that helps
Rob
Yea, i know they're both great quality, don't here about them much, so thats a good indicator people are happy.

I'm just unsure about their low end sensored smoothness, how well their timing boost works, how easily they build heat, stuff like that
Old 10-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Yea, i know they're both great quality, don't here about them much, so thats a good indicator people are happy.

I'm just unsure about their low end sensored smoothness, how well their timing boost works, how easily they build heat, stuff like that
I can tell you with my non sensored 4600kv i do get cogging down low. also i have heard that if you run an extenal BEC on the castle ESC's that they dont build as much heat either. Also putting caps on the battery side helps also.
I plan to do both. I have no experience with a sensored motor yet. but when i i do i can let you know.
Rob
Rxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I've been running MMP's in all three of my rigs since their release date and I have not had a Single complaint! No Heat(I don't even use the fan that comes with it), very good Startup, and it's the same size as the MM without the fan. Plus you already have castle link
Twisted Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Both need a external BEC. My rs pro has to run a older program so it doesn't fry CC 10a BEC's. The latest program made it smoother, but did no good when the BEC dies and loses steering. Rumors the CC 20a BEC holds up. Tekin's limited to about 30 degrees timing advance from the esc. Not sure what the boost adds to that?
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:15 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I think the Tekin ESC's work better with the Tekin brushless motors. There is a world of difference between my MMP and RS Pro. The RS is smoother, faster, and seems to run cooler. With a Pro4 brushless it's as fast with the RS on 3s as the MMP on 6s. I have had 2 MMP's go south but the RS Pro is only 4 months old, so time will tell.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I love the MMP I used it in my lcc with the 17.5 motor as well and on 3s it was perfect. Both esc's are fully programable the MMP goes to 6s but 3s will be perfect. So its reall a toss up, but if you go MMP dont use the smart sense use sensored only mode the smart sense always glitched on me till i switched.
omenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #14
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid View Post
Both need a external BEC. My rs pro has to run a older program so it doesn't fry CC 10a BEC's. The latest program made it smoother, but did no good when the BEC dies and loses steering. Rumors the CC 20a BEC holds up. Tekin's limited to about 30 degrees timing advance from the esc. Not sure what the boost adds to that?
Whys it fry bec's, how???

I'm abit confused at how its possible, unless its back feeding power into the battery lines?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #15
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
I think the Tekin ESC's work better with the Tekin brushless motors. There is a world of difference between my MMP and RS Pro. The RS is smoother, faster, and seems to run cooler. With a Pro4 brushless it's as fast with the RS on 3s as the MMP on 6s. I have had 2 MMP's go south but the RS Pro is only 4 months old, so time will tell.
Hmmm, intersting...i'll be running a tekin redline 17.5t, with the 14mm super torque rotor (currently best crawler sensored brushless motor imo, till the roc and holmes stuff is released)
Old 10-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Whys it fry bec's, how???

I'm abit confused at how its possible, unless its back feeding power into the battery lines?
Not sure exactly. Two different friends and I all burnt up several trying to figure it out. Went back to old fireware and no more dead BEC's. A friends been in contact with others and the same conclusion. 10.5,17.5 21.5 motors tried. Servos 7955,7950, 7990. Bec powering rx, and servo directly, caps tried in rx and on servo lead.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #17
Got Worms?

Quote:
Not sure exactly. Two different friends and I all burnt up several trying to figure it out. Went back to old fireware and no more dead BEC's. A friends been in contact with others and the same conclusion. 10.5,17.5 21.5 motors tried. Servos 7955,7950, 7990. Bec powering rx, and servo directly, caps tried in rx and on servo lead.
Huh, did you guys contact tekin about it?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Huh, did you guys contact tekin about it?
Yes, didn't seem a high priority compared to the track racing and new motors coming out(pro4).
Old 10-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #19
RCC Addict

As I said before I had a Tekin RS Pro in my LCC and used a Speed Passion 17.5 on 3S with a CC BEC for two years and many, many comps without a single glitch or problem. The RS is now in my 4wd buggy and it's the same one I used for mod TC. That's over four years of racing hard and crawling hard with the same ESC.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:25 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Did you remove the red wire from the ESC to RX connection??
Like Losikid said, I can't see how a firmware version in the ESC affects the external BEC.
Frankly, I would run the servo direct off the BEC & the RX off the ESC BEC. If you have any glitch issues, connect the BEC black to the RX as well (along with the servo signal wire).
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote