Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Brushless or Lipo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #1

Default Brushless or Lipo?

Hey everyone. I am fresh back in the hobby after selling off my nitros and want to focus on more scale stuff, I had my time with bashers.

Anyways, I have a decent charger now, but it only does nicd and nimh. This was fine 5 years ago, but now it seems lipo is the way to go. Then we have brushless. I know, amazing stuff however not cheap.

So my question to you is if you had money to get set up in one which would you choose? Unfortunately I can't do both right now.

I'm thinking lipo is probably the better option for my right now, but I just wanted some more opinions.
Vicious-peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

lots of info on here for both. brushless is maintenance free, but lipo is more effecient. You have your homework cut out for you. What I did was go Lipo and not brushless for crawling..but for my go fast electric went with brushless...with lipo not only do you have to pick up different batteries, chargers and your esc....must have lipo cut off. So its not just picking up lipos....and for brushless, make sure you have a sensored brushless and esc...if not you will cogg and over work your motor.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #3

Yeah, I'm doing a lot of reading. A lot to learn about lipo.

I have an esc, charger and batteries in mind. I am leaning towards lipo, I think I would still get some of the 'punch' I want in non crawlers with the 11.1 volts and the lightness could bring the cog down in my crawler.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

cog will cog if its not sensored, or so I read...

you know what, ran one of my 2S 2800mAhs in a friend of mines drifter after he pulled a 8.4V battery out of it...seemed to have more punch there as well. Lipos have a longer discharge curve than NiMh...and yes, they are lighter.

if your esc has a lipo cut off...go for it. You will never turn back...they do take some care of, just can't toss it on and leave the house...I have a lipo bag and an ammo case...just in case, don't want a 40 dollar battery burning down my house.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:27 PM   #5

Sorry, by cog I meant center of gravity. I should have been more clear.

I will have to pick up a new esc, but I need a new one anyways, mine sucks.

I've seen the bags, and heard the stories. I would pick one up for sure.

I am really leaning towards lipo, I have wanted to for a while and now is as good of a time as any!
Old 10-29-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

im pretty new to the electric side of the hobby myself. had a nitro for a few years. sold that cause it sucked to tune every time.... i am finishing a XR10 build right now. am using brushed motors. but the way i see it, you can go brushed for now to save some $$ and get your lipo set up. then down the road get your brushless set up. whether you choose brushed or brushless your gonna want lipo for the advantages over nimh/nicd. as stated above make sure the ESC has a lipo cutoff. now that im set up with lipo for my crawler, i dont have to get much when i get my Short Course Truck.(once the wifey allows it).
asian195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian195 View Post
(once the wifey allows it).
Wife: What do you want to drink dear
Husband: What ever you want me to dear...

guy told me that the other day...thought it was funny sh!t...

Yeah, lipo now, motor later...
Old 10-30-2011, 04:50 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

+1 for Lipo.

I converted and never regretted it for a sec.. If you already have an esc that you want to run, but doesn't have a voltage cut-off, there are piggy back options for low voltage alarms. They're pretty inexpensive and the audible ones scream pretty loud when your Lipo hits a minimum voltage.
808DA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:35 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

ohh and thought of this last night after I logged off....on your lipos, I have tried "cheap" ones from places that have a low discharge rate..do your self a favor on your wallet...25C or higher on discharge rate...Mine are all 30C now....have puffed more than my share in my opinion. For my go fast rig its a 45C discharge rate. Do some research on lipos purchases before you buy. I bought what I thought were "good" lipos, turns out the 1500 mAh 25C was maybe 1300mAh and around 15C.

external lipo cut offs are a good option if you like your esc. But if your esc doesn't have drag brake, don't even bother with the external lipo cut off. get a new esc. Not sure if external lipos are adjustable, if you go that route make sure it will do the lipos you run now and think you will run in the future.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #10

Lipo it is!

Now I just have to find an esc I want to run. I like the Tekin FXR, but $140 is a lot plus a charger and batteries. I guess I'll check ebay. :/
Old 10-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious-peanut View Post
Lipo it is!

Now I just have to find an esc I want to run. I like the Tekin FXR, but $140 is a lot plus a charger and batteries. I guess I'll check ebay. :/
Tower Hobbies has the FXR for ~$95.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Tower Hobbies has the FXR for ~$95.
Thanks, I was getting confused with the pro.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Lipo it is!

Look around some more, you can find a Tekin FX-R for $89.
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks, I was getting confused with the pro.
You don't need the pro. I don't even think I've seen anyone who uses the pro in crawling. I could be wrong, but don't see where you'd need it.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:09 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Why are we talking about getting a Lipo battery vs a Brushless motor? That's like asking "did you walk to work or bring your lunch?" There's no correlation between the two other than using one to power the other. Both a battery (Lipo, NiCd/MH, LiFe..) AND a motor (brushed or brushless are required to run a crawler rig. Lipos can also be used with Brushed motors as well. Not trying to flame anyone, I'm just confused. Did I miss something?
Old 10-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyStyle View Post
Why are we talking about getting a Lipo battery vs a Brushless motor? That's like asking "did you walk to work or bring your lunch?" There's no correlation between the two other than using one to power the other. Both a battery (Lipo, NiCd/MH, LiFe..) AND a motor (brushed or brushless are required to run a crawler rig. Lipos can also be used with Brushed motors as well. Not trying to flame anyone, I'm just confused. Did I miss something?

Yep, you did. I only have to money to upgrade from Nimh to lipo, OR brushed to brushless. I was just weighing my options and seeing what more established crawlers thought.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:36 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

First Post

Quote:
Hey everyone. I am fresh back in the hobby after selling off my nitros and want to focus on more scale stuff, I had my time with bashers.

Anyways, I have a decent charger now, but it only does nicd and nimh. This was fine 5 years ago, but now it seems lipo is the way to go. Then we have brushless. I know, amazing stuff however not cheap.

So my question to you is if you had money to get set up in one which would you choose? Unfortunately I can't do both right now.

I'm thinking lipo is probably the better option for my right now, but I just wanted some more opinions.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:04 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Lipo is a better bang for the buck.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Switching to a better power source is cheaper than brushless for slow stuff. Good sensored bl isn't cheap yet, not as cheap as a few small 3s lipos anyway.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #20

Yea, I don't think brushless would make much sense for me yet. Now I just need to choose a charger. What do you guys think of the Thunder AC6, or the MRC Super Brain Palm?