Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: holmes hobbies TorqueMaster Pro motor making drivetrain hard to turn???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default holmes hobbies TorqueMaster Pro motor making drivetrain hard to turn???

this is a bit of a drivetrain question but since i think the motor is whats causing it i decided to ask it here. after getting my truck together i have noticed i can barely turn the wheels by hand when its turned off. i thought maybe i had a bind in it or had the mesh too tight between the motor and gear. i took the motor out and the truck rolls great so nothing binding there. i put the motor back in and made sure the mesh between the gears was good. still same thing. the problem im having is i would like the truck to roll a little more freely when letting off the throttle. going down a steep hill its holding a little too much for my liking. i have turned down the brake all the way on my esc. is this normal for this motor? will it loosen up some as the motor gets more broken in? just seeing if others have experienced anything like this with this motor or any other motor.

Last edited by spdyracer; 10-30-2011 at 12:14 PM.
spdyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Well that motor is going to have strong brush springs to enhance drag braking and strong magnets probably causes it too.. In general brushed motors don't turn very freely.

I hear ya though on the quick stopping when you let off the throttle.. Maybe play with the throttle trim so that it doesn't just stop abruptly? That's all I can think of at the moment.

Certainly it doesn't seem like anything is wrong, so feel good about that.. Just less than desirable results of the equipment you're using.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
Well that motor is going to have strong brush springs to enhance drag braking and strong magnets probably causes it too.. In general brushed motors don't turn very freely.

I hear ya though on the quick stopping when you let off the throttle.. Maybe play with the throttle trim so that it doesn't just stop abruptly? That's all I can think of at the moment.

Certainly it doesn't seem like anything is wrong, so feel good about that.. Just less than desirable results of the equipment you're using.
+1, it will loosen up a bit as the motor runs in as well as brush springs shorten a bit.
I wouldn't mess with throttle trim, it's a bit imprecise for your needs.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
Got Worms?

Thats just what a good quality brushed motor does
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

thanks for the help. thats what i figured but i thought i would ask and see.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Drag brakes will stay engaged without a battery attached. As long as the capacitors in the esc have voltage, the drag brake will be applied. It doesn't have anything to do with the motor.

You can spin a motor's armature by hand, regardless of how strong the springs are, or if it's been broken in or not. With voltage applied, you cannot spin it by hand, which is what is happening.
kmnss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmnss View Post
Drag brakes will stay engaged without a battery attached. As long as the capacitors in the esc have voltage, the drag brake will be applied. It doesn't have anything to do with the motor.

You can spin a motor's armature by hand, regardless of how strong the springs are, or if it's been broken in or not. With voltage applied, you cannot spin it by hand, which is what is happening.
i see what your saying and that makes since. the thing thats strange to me is i have the drag brake turned down to like 5%. i have a holmes esc in the truck and i also have the same esc in my scx10 the only difference is the motors. in the scx10 i can turn the wheels pretty easy but on my new truck i can barely turn them at all by hand. both the trucks are pretty much the same as far as gearing, axles and esc the only difference is the motors. i would just like to find a way to reduce the drag a bit so when im going down a steep hill and let off the throttle it doesn't want to flip forward. in my other truck when i adjust the drag brake i can tell a difference in my new one it didn't make a difference how low i set it it didn't change.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:13 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

the more i think about this now the more i wonder if its possible the drag brake isn't adjusting on my esc when i program it. kmnss got me thinking with his comment that the drag brake will stay on as long as the cap has power. could i have a faulty esc what isn't allowing me to adjust the drag brake and its staying on full brake even though i have it adjusted down to 5%?
Old 10-31-2011, 04:37 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Make sure the Holmes Hold isn't turned on. That gives wicked drag brake power.
Also make sure you're clicking 'Update' in the bottom right corner to load the setting onto the esc.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:30 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

did you double check your gear mesh? just throwin that out there
WOUrugger51 is offline   Reply With Quote