Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Either need suggestions or answers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Either need suggestions or answers

Ok here's the run down .
I am at presnt running a XR10 with an Airtronics 94780m servo, Castle sidewinder esc, Punk dig, Castle bec set too 6 volts, Gens ace 450mah 25c 11.1 volt batteries.

At yesterdays comp my truck couldn't make 6 minute courses and even when i was below time by a minute the truck just didn't have the power too get through the 10 th gate.

Sundays comp was outdoors about 45-50 degrees

Also this comp was the firs time i ran 35t machine wound motors previously i was running 55t machine wounds.

With the same batteries (different motors and warmer conditions) i had ran up too 8 minutes on a charge without hitting the cut off.

All batteries are only 2-3 cycles old, & new motors are fresh.

Could the motors be pullin that much more volts/amps , or could the cold temps contributed too the decreased run times.

Thanks for any input & yes i used the search and advanced search options too no avail, sorry for the long post just tryin too cover all the bases cause i need some answers.

Last edited by vn1500; 10-31-2011 at 10:12 PM.
vn1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

How tight is your gear mesh?? I can normally run two 4 or 5 minute courses with my 800mah packs. 450 is pretty small and those 35s will definitely draw more power. If your gear mesh is too tight and depending on the gear lube you run, a bit of resistance will be present.

And colder temps definitely have an effect on lipos. Internal resistance goes up and efficiency decreases. I always keep my packs in my pocket of its below 50 outside.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Gear mesh isn't set tight at all has a little back lash between pinion and spur using a knock off of the gear science lube.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vn1500 View Post
Gear mesh isn't set tight at all has a little back lash between pinion and spur using a knock off of the gear science lube.
I've heard that the gearscience stuff gets really stiff in colder weather. But I'm pretty sure its a combination of Temperature, Resistance in the gearbox, 35T motors and you battery size.

Next time you get a chance, leave your rig outside in cold weather and then run your truck up and down the street full throttle till it hits lipo cutoff. Record the amount of time it takes to run the battery dead.

Then, warm the truck up completely from inside your house, Hell, use a hairdryer to warm up the axles and battery, then take it back outside and do the same test.

Guarantee ya the cold truck will not last as long as the warmed up truck.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
I've heard that the gearscience stuff gets really stiff in colder weather. But I'm pretty sure its a combination of Temperature, Resistance in the gearbox, 35T motors and you battery size.

Next time you get a chance, leave your rig outside in cold weather and then run your truck up and down the street full throttle till it hits lipo cutoff. Record the amount of time it takes to run the battery dead.

Then, warm the truck up completely from inside your house, Hell, use a hairdryer to warm up the axles and battery, then take it back outside and do the same test.

Guarantee ya the cold truck will not last as long as the warmed up truck.
Thanks Jesse , I'll give it a try
Old 11-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
How tight is your gear mesh?? I can normally run two 4 or 5 minute courses with my 800mah packs. 450 is pretty small and those 35s will definitely draw more power. If your gear mesh is too tight and depending on the gear lube you run, a bit of resistance will be present.

And colder temps definitely have an effect on lipos. Internal resistance goes up and efficiency decreases. I always keep my packs in my pocket of its below 50 outside.
This pretty much covers it.
Smallish packs, only 25C, cold temps, dual 35T's sorta explains the short run times.
We use 450's in our MRC 1.9's, not our 2.2's. The difference in weight for a slightly larger pack is hard to notice.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
20K Club

I run the same GenAce packs with 16t Crawlmasters which pull more power than the 35's and I used to run the 35's.

Those packs should last much longer. I can get 10 mins at least out of mine. Temp shouldn't effect you that much. Take your motors out and see how smooth you spin. Then check the motors. Something is off.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I run the same GenAce packs with 16t Crawlmasters which pull more power than the 35's and I used to run the 35's.

Those packs should last much longer. I can get 10 mins at least out of mine. Temp shouldn't effect you that much. Take your motors out and see how smooth you spin. Then check the motors. Something is off.
Thanks for the suggestions , i pulled the motors when i got home from the comp sunday and the axles spin nice and free with little too no resistance. I'll check the motors when i get home from work tonite.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Temp shouldn't effect you that much.
Yes they do, and possibly more so with a small ass pack like a 450. Why run such a small pack anyways? No way can that thing be delivering all the amperage a two motor 35 turn set up needs.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #10
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Yes they do, and possibly more so with a small ass pack like a 450. Why run such a small pack anyways? No way can that thing be delivering all the amperage a two motor 35 turn set up needs.
I ran my packs in the snow this year and still saw runtimes about the same as i get now. With the small back the percentage difference just doesn't show much. They deliver more than enough amperage and the size and weight benefits make them a pretty nice pack for comp rigs. It's a pretty common size now.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #11
MODERATOR™

Maybe you're just used to shitty lipos.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

You resolve your problem? I had same problem last winter but mine was a bad motor....dang mud lol.
rockeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockeater View Post
You resolve your problem? I had same problem last winter but mine was a bad motor....dang mud lol.
Thanks for askin and sorry i'm late on the reply . I think i have it pinned down too one of the new motors drawing WAY too much .