Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Can I Save This Lipo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 05:02 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Can I Save This Lipo?

I purchased a 5000mah 2s Venom 20c hardcase about 2 years ago. I used to run it on my Sprint 2 with a Sidewinder and 5700kv. Then moved that to my Slash 4x4's VXL system.

I'd say total of about 30 complete cycles through it. Now it seems to have a bad first cell.

When hooked up after sitting for a few months of no use it was at 2.81V and 3.8V. I've tried balancing it several times to try to get the cells to balance out. I then tried charging for a couple of minutes to boost the cells to a close level where I can balance charge...never could get it right.

Finally last night I decided to set the cut off on my new Hitec X1 charger to 8.4V and give it one last charge. The readings I got were 3.81V and 4.59V.

Now I can't discharge or balance due to over voltage. The pack is slightly puffed as well from running on the VXL system for 10 cycles.

I put it in a lipo storage bag hoping the voltage will drop down over time...maybe I'll be lucky and I can balance charge it again.

It was stored at full capacity for several months. Could this also be a reason why the first cell dumped on me?

Now I set all my ESC's to cut off at 3.4V/cell and use the lipo store function.

Probably shouldn't run this pack in any of my cars or trucks right?
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

toss it out. you can usually save one thats voltage went a bit low but when they get over volted by that much and the fact thats its puffed, i wouldnt bother risking it.
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
cherry bomb

discharge it in an RC its only at 8.4v a fully charged 2s lipo is 8.4 then balance charge it should bring it back into balance. but one cell has been overcharged, proceed at your own risk. (worth trying in my opinion) just keep a close eye on it, and store it in a lipo sack as you've been doing.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I would run it in a car to lipo cut off, just leave the top off the slash and watch it. I have done it a bunch of times and it will even out the pack then recharge it after your done. Also make sure you connections at the charger are good. (the main, and balence plug) I have seen some of mine say its bad, but it was a bad connection.
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys...I'll try to see if running the pack to LVC will balance it out to a point that I can balance charge it back.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote