Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: New lipo always balanced charged still very uneven discharge?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default New lipo always balanced charged still very uneven discharge?

I have a pair of 2S 2200mah Sky lipos from hobbypartz that I run in series.
so far Ive ran and recharged them around 3 times without issue, always balance charged at the proper rates and charged separately.
today I went to throw one pack on my HobbyKing Eco six and got the low voltage error and it wont charge. when I looked at the display it shows 1 cell is around 1V and the other is nearly charged. I've never let the pack over discharge, my ESC has the LVC properly set. the thing is the lipo isnt puffy and the few other brands that i have over discharged in the past have gotten puffy. regardless at this point it seems the lipo is dead.. maybe save 1s for some misc project,..

anyhow is this just a "lemon" lipo luck of the draw? or is there something i need to look out for. havent had this happen B4.
I have a few 3S that have the center cell run low but so far it balances fine and I think ive read the middle cell on 3S discharges faster.

I have a few other sky lipos that are fine so for the $ I may just order the same to replace
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

This is likely just a bad cell, not anything you are/aren't doing.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
www.team3sixrc.com

Yeah, sometimes its a bad cell or bad soldered connection. If your experienced at it, you can just remove the bad cell and add a new one ir make a 2S pack a 3S.

I have seen people do it, but never tried it myself because I fear the lipo.lol
just personally don't want to mess with them.

For the most part the general market lip's are pretty affordable. But its hit or miss if you get a good battery.

9 times out of 10 I get good batteries with hobbyking lipos. But I just throw it away and take the loss if its bad. For how cheap they are its not worth the aggravation. To send them back.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
Yeah, sometimes its a bad cell or bad soldered connection. If your experienced at it, you can just remove the bad cell and add a new one ir make a 2S pack a 3S.

I have seen people do it, but never tried it myself because I fear the lipo.lol
just personally don't want to mess with them.

For the most part the general market lip's are pretty affordable. But its hit or miss if you get a good battery.

9 times out of 10 I get good batteries with hobbyking lipos. But I just throw it away and take the loss if its bad. For how cheap they are its not worth the aggravation. To send them back.
Thats my feeling on it, i figured it was just a random lemon. for the $$ ill just pick up more.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I would try charging it on NIMH setting at 1 or so amps for a few minutes to bring it up, then try to balance it.
Cheatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheatin View Post
I would try charging it on NIMH setting at 1 or so amps for a few minutes to bring it up, then try to balance it.
that may work for some but I'm not about to try that.its not exactly safe to use nimh setting on a lipo considering how cheap a new pack is. besides the issue isnt bringing the voltage up, I have a "dumb" lipo charger that Ive used to get over discharged packs up to 3.0v then finished off with the balancer. the problem is 1 cell in the pack is down to 1.0 and the other cell is a little over 3v. Ive never had a cell go that low let alone the difference in cells so far apart. I never use fast charge, only balance charge
Old 08-29-2011, 04:25 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I've had similar things happen due to a faulty connection. Check your plugs and wires before you dump the battery. Could be a simple issue of faulty connection to the charger.
federally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
that may work for some but I'm not about to try that.its not exactly safe to use nimh setting on a lipo considering how cheap a new pack is. besides the issue isnt bringing the voltage up, I have a "dumb" lipo charger that Ive used to get over discharged packs up to 3.0v then finished off with the balancer. the problem is 1 cell in the pack is down to 1.0 and the other cell is a little over 3v. Ive never had a cell go that low let alone the difference in cells so far apart. I never use fast charge, only balance charge
Then I guess you don't want to hear how I saw a guy bring up a low pack similar to yours with a few bumps on the 40 amp car battery charger. Yes I stood back, and yes it worked. Probably killed a bunch of cycles out of it, but it was usable.
Cheatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:43 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheatin View Post
Then I guess you don't want to hear how I saw a guy bring up a low pack similar to yours with a few bumps on the 40 amp car battery charger. Yes I stood back, and yes it worked. Probably killed a bunch of cycles out of it, but it was usable.

Lol dude that's funny. At least when you're messing with a Lipo you only have to worry about a fire that you could run away from, When Nimhs go up they explode and send out shrapnel!
federally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #10

Cool Comfirmation: Accucel 6 2S : Battery Cell Error

I can confirm that setting the Accucel 6 to NiMh for a minute fixed my problem charging the 2S LiPo
Must need a kick start?

cheers
Sebastian
sebastian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

That's funny I just got 2 3s rhino lipo's from hobbyking and one had very low voltage. I put it on the 2s setting for just a second then charger would work on 3s balance charge. Just my experience these are the first lipo's I have ever had, the battery still works so I'm happy
TheREDCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Worth checking, what your LVC set to?

If set too low this puts cells out of balance that over time gets worse.
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

LVC was properly set. this thread is 2 months old, I've since replaced the pack with another of the same and haven't had a problem since.

I run 2 2S 2200Mah sky lipo "blues" in series/4S with the scx and its great.
the berg runs 3S 1300mah Sky Lipo blues. so far 1 pack out of 5, the rest haven't given me a problem.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

There are no issues with using nimh setting to charge a lipo. The problem arises at the end of the charge when the charger hits the burn in phase on nimh setting. The beggining and middle of the charge cycle is just that a charge cycle. 1a is still 1a.
ubbb69 is offline   Reply With Quote