Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Castle Creations ????sssss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Castle Creations ????sssss

So i have searched with no exact answer

First off im pretty sure i burnt my Axial esc up, ( I was running a Venom 8.4v 2c 5000 mah ) trying to see how much weight it would pull Anyway,
Ive been reading about alot of guys running Castle Sidewinder V2 esc what are the benefits of running one of these I know one of them is the ability to run 3-4c lipos, But what about Drag brake wise ????
Can this be set on the V2 to your likings????
And what about Motor if i bought the complete package would it be good to run the motor it comes with as well ??? (running a scx10 honcho by the way)

All advice will be greatly appreciated
ablaydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I suggest buying a star on the forum so you can look at the classified ads and get some used stuff on here. I would say get a mamba max or mamba max pro or a Holmes Hobbies BRXL along with a Holmes motor
PowerCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:13 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

The SV2 will only run up to 3s lipo, the original sidewinder could do 4S with the right firmware.
Drag brake is adjustable from nothing all the way up to 213% (which will make you do stoppies/endos depending on the speed). To adjust it you can use the Castle PC-link and your computer or stick programming using your radio (PC-link is easier).
The motor that comes with the SV2 is pretty much useless for a crawler, but you might find it OK in a scale rig if you gear it down as low as you can get. You would be better off just getting the ESC and picking up a suitable brushed motor (27-45t).
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCrazy View Post
I suggest buying a star on the forum so you can look at the classified ads and get some used stuff on here. I would say get a mamba max or mamba max pro or a Holmes Hobbies BRXL along with a Holmes motor
Ok i will look into that Thanks
Old 11-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDELOAD View Post
The SV2 will only run up to 3s lipo, the original sidewinder could do 4S with the right firmware.
Drag brake is adjustable from nothing all the way up to 213% (which will make you do stoppies/endos depending on the speed). To adjust it you can use the Castle PC-link and your computer or stick programming using your radio (PC-link is easier).
The motor that comes with the SV2 is pretty much useless for a crawler, but you might find it OK in a scale rig if you gear it down as low as you can get. You would be better off just getting the ESC and picking up a suitable brushed motor (27-45t).
Ok thats what i wanted to know, mainly just worried about bein able to adjust the drag brake, i wasnt real sure, Thanks for clearing that up,
Old 11-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

So what about the Novak Rooster crawler System, Its inexpensive and Its from Novak But will i be able to adjust the drag brake to my likings Like the castle one ??????????
Old 11-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

ok i'll be the first to say it::: search! find the names and look at the manufacturers website, and search here. you will answer MOST of your questions.

now, for brushed the holmes hobbies brxl is probably the best. follow that with the mamba max pro, the the tekin fxr. for brushless the mamba max pro, and tekin rs/rx.

the novak esc's are kinda behind the times. they work, they just haven't updated them as much as the rest have. knowing that this is ususally the most expensive part on the rig, i would stick with proven components. holmes hobbies, mmp, and tekin.

for reference i run a mmp 1cell, and 18.5t brushless sensored novak crawler motor.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I used to be a huge castle supporter. But after 3 SCT failures I would have to say novak or tekin
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
ok i'll be the first to say it::: search! find the names and look at the manufacturers website, and search here. you will answer MOST of your questions.

now, for brushed the holmes hobbies brxl is probably the best. follow that with the mamba max pro, the the tekin fxr. for brushless the mamba max pro, and tekin rs/rx.

the novak esc's are kinda behind the times. they work, they just haven't updated them as much as the rest have. knowing that this is ususally the most expensive part on the rig, i would stick with proven components. holmes hobbies, mmp, and tekin.

for reference i run a mmp 1cell, and 18.5t brushless sensored novak crawler motor.
Let be more clear I have searched the websites but im not looking for specs im looking for personal opinions and for people that have had experience with the products that im asking about Thanks though
Old 11-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

My son is running the SCT's, he has been happy with them in a 2.2 Bully MOA. The settings are similar to my Mamba Max's, great drag brake.

Some people have had issues with the V2's/SCT's (same ESC's different labels), we havn't.

I would stick to brushed motors for comp rigs, brushless is fine for worm drive rigs, scalers, go fasts and "just for fun" rigs.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

When my novak m2 gives up the smoke (we all know it will)(lol) I'm planning on holmes brxl. 6s hell yizzle... Gears, don't need no stinken gears....lol.

I was going to go with mamba micro pros, cause they are cheaper than tekins. But have heard such good things about brxls can't resist.

Sent from my uber smart, smart phone....
asian195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I have 3 castle esc's now, 2 mamba micro pros in my xr and a mamba max pro in my sportsman rig and have had zero problems(knock on wood) with any of them. I have smoked a few novaks in the past
greencrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:29 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
My son is running the SCT's, he has been happy with them in a 2.2 Bully MOA. The settings are similar to my Mamba Max's, great drag brake.

Some people have had issues with the V2's/SCT's (same ESC's different labels), we havn't.

I would stick to brushed motors for comp rigs, brushless is fine for worm drive rigs, scalers, go fasts and "just for fun" rigs.
Thanks man looking like im goin with the mamba max pro ive heard alot of good things so far
Old 11-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian195 View Post
When my novak m2 gives up the smoke (we all know it will)(lol) I'm planning on holmes brxl. 6s hell yizzle... Gears, don't need no stinken gears....lol.

I was going to go with mamba micro pros, cause they are cheaper than tekins. But have heard such good things about brxls can't resist.

Im deff goin to do more research on The Holmes Brxl esc before i make my choice They say the esc is one of the most important parts of a rig so im gonna make sure i make a good choice thanks man
Old 11-08-2011, 05:57 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablaydes View Post
Thanks man, looking like I'm going with the Mamba Max Pro. I've heard a lot of good things so far.
I've had good dealings with Castle bits (except 2 fried BEC's, I think they had a bad batch earlier this year).
My son & I both run Castle ESC's.

As to the BRXL, I sorta consider it a MM with a better BEC. Yes, it's worth a look.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:00 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

My favorite part of the brxl, it uses the castle link for programming. No need to get more software, as most of us already have it cause of the cc bec.

asian195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

In all of my rigs...I have 2 BRXL's on my Wraith and my 2.2 10lb tuber...2 Sidewinders one on my AX10 and one on my Honcho. I also run a waterproofed OG Sidewinder on my DF-03Ra rally car.

On my Losi XXX-SCB I'm running an SV2 Sidwinder 4800kv no issues. I'm about to put a new SV2 Sidewinder into my Cup Racer for kicks.

So far 2 years everything is great. ESC lost calibration a couple of times not sure why but it's very easy stick programming to get them back up anyways.

Besides that Castle and Holmes make awesome ESC's!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

all my lipo rigs run castle products with no issues that werent my fault. 3 og sidewinders (2 in Xr and 1 in tamiya semi) but 1 wont run brushless motors anymore as something fried inside from overheating it but still runs brushed motors great, and a mamba max pro originally for my losi cc but is now in my stampede with a castle 4600 on 3s and havent had a problem with any of my 3 cc becs
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Thanks for all the advice guys Yall got me heading in the right direction for the 2 best esc out there it looks like to me thanks alot