Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: nice esc /motor combo for new r1 rock buggy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default nice esc /motor combo for new r1 rock buggy

what would be a good high end esc/motor for the rock buggy I just ordered? tekin?

I like the idea of being able to adjust it through a computer or iphone.

I have a rooster crawler in my scx10 now, and it works fine. The drag brake doesn't seem that adjustable though.

Are people still staying with brushed motors for straight up crawling? or has something changed there?

fire away
1natehundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

For crawling, brushed is still pretty much the standard.
ESC's, Castle (MM or MM pro) or Holmes are among the best choices. Holmes may mean you don't need an external BEC though.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #3

Default R1 rock crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1natehundred View Post
what would be a good high end esc/motor for the rock buggy I just ordered? tekin?

I like the idea of being able to adjust it through a computer or iphone.

I have a rooster crawler in my scx10 now, and it works fine. The drag brake doesn't seem that adjustable though.

Are people still staying with brushed motors for straight up crawling? or has something changed there?

fire away
Brushed is the way to go. The brushless motors bog down when you get to a vertical rock/staircase ect. I've seen a couple of peeps using intengy motors and rooster esc that seem to work pretty well. I'm new to the scene for crawlers...Just got a R1 rock buggy by Gmade. I'm going to use a 2 cell lipo batt and a Tekin HD 55t or pro 55t with a fxr tekin esc. retail about $135 for the combo. I'm going to get a 45t soon after to give me the happy medium
Teamswaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Take this for what it's worth. I have 2 SCX10's one with a Mamba Max Pro and the other with a Holmes Hobbies BR-XL.

BR-XL 90 bucks and 110 waterproofed. Will handle up to 6s LiPo, has a quality BEC, is programmable using Castle Creations programmer, has Holmes Hold for an amazing Drag Brake. Not sure but I think is limited to 15t motor but could be wrong, works amazing with a quality hand wound 35t -55t motor on 3s and 4s LiPos. Love my BR-XL and for brushed will be my only choice.

Mamba Max Pro 105 on sale non waterproofed. Handles up to 6s LiPo , has great drake brake (213% drag brake %) highly programmable with the Castle Creations USB link and field programmer. Can run Brushed or Brushless, Sensored or Sensorless motors, can be run sensorless or Smart sense or just Sensored only modes. Esc has built in fan, works flawless and doesn't even get hot enough to kick the fan on . I'm running a 21.5t brushless Sensored motor and it's great, slow crawl ability, no cogging, lots of torque and really nice wheel speed.

Those are my opinions of each, good luck. If you decide to go brushless get the MMP if brushed is the way then the BR-XL is the choice.
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote