Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Holmes Torquemaster Pro should come with a warning!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Holmes Torquemaster Pro should come with a warning!

It's a drive shaft eater! Holy Cow! I just finished installing a 21T torquemaster pro and BRXL combo in the Wraith...left the pinion and spur stock to see where it was at before I started changing things....oh, and a 2s lipo, not the 3s I'm planning on running in it.

Set it down on the patio ( patches of ice, plus bare pavement) and nailed it...a split second of huge wheel spin on a patch of ice, forward movement onto a patch of bare pavement...stood the truck up vertical, spagettied the front (stock) shaft a split second later.

Now, I'm re-inforcing the remaining shafts with carbon fibre rod, and ordering something MUCH stronger.

I think I'm gonna be liking this motor...
YYCADM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

yea, putting a well known system, on a 2s, and goosing it is usually the recipy for new parts within 5 seconds.
OntarioCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioCrawler View Post
yea, putting a well known system, on a 2s, and goosing it is usually the recipy for new parts within 5 seconds.
While that's a valid point, How else can you know what the new parts are really capable of...
troyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

This was the final piece in the puzzle. I'd upgraded almost everything else; steering, front end, CVD's, all the links, diff covers. Built my own body panels out of sheet metal, massive upgrade on lighting output ( throwing about 250 lumens instead of 20), winch. Not much left to upgrade so I finally bit the bullet and got the motor ESC.
This is the first Holmes I've ever run, and I can't believe how strong this combo is!
Now if there wasn't six inches of snow everywhere....
Old 11-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
20K Club

Watch your temps and getting in a bind with that motor in the Wraith. That is faster than I would suggest for a brushed setup and you stand a higher chance of burning up your new motor. I would gear down quite a bit and go to more voltage if you want to keep the speed.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

What would you suggest for gearing? Not looking for huge speed, ideally maybe 10% better than stock. I want to take advantage of the increased torque as much as possible without threatening the system by overheating it
Old 11-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCADM View Post
What would you suggest for gearing? Not looking for huge speed, ideally maybe 10% better than stock. I want to take advantage of the increased torque as much as possible without threatening the system by overheating it
If you're staying with 48p gears then look at maybe a 84/16 setup on 3s. Shooting for faster then stock really isn't a great idea on a brushed system unless you are looking at stock on 2s vs something else on 3s.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Watch your temps and getting in a bind with that motor in the Wraith. That is faster than I would suggest for a brushed setup and you stand a higher chance of burning up your new motor. I would gear down quite a bit and go to more voltage if you want to keep the speed.
I don't want to take the focus of this thread but I guess when I read it and after reading my HH set up shipped today I would ask a simple question in hopes of giving the motor a longer life. I have a 17t torqemaster coming. I have already upgraded drive shafts and cvds and things like that. What gearing would you start with if I go with 32 pitch. I have 2s and 3s I can run
Thanks
obebaldone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #9
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by obebaldone1 View Post
I don't want to take the focus of this thread but I guess when I read it and after reading my HH set up shipped today I would ask a simple question in hopes of giving the motor a longer life. I have a 17t torqemaster coming. I have already upgraded drive shafts and cvds and things like that. What gearing would you start with if I go with 32 pitch. I have 2s and 3s I can run
Thanks
Just gear as low as possible I would say.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Thanks
Ummm....how about figuring out the ratio already posted, then use that to decide on the pinion you need to use (for your gear pitch) to get a similar ratio???

Yes, I say the same thing to my son.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #11
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Ummm....how about figuring out the ratio already posted, then use that to decide on the pinion you need to use (for your gear pitch) to get a similar ratio???

He is asking about a 17t vs the OP asking about a 21t. So it is a different question really.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:51 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post

Ummmm. Well I guess I had that coming.

Thanks Harley I will try to gear it down as much as possible.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

If I stick with a 2s, would your recommendation stay the same? i.e.84/16, or something different? I actually had initially thought of going 3s simply because I wasn't anticipating this setup would be as strong as it is on 2s. I have more 2s batts anyway, and will now likely stay on 2s...3s with this setup seems a bit nuts.
A bigger problem is getting the parts. There is one hobby shop where I live, and they carry Traxxas stuff and nothing else. Pinions wouldn't be a problem, but axial spur gears?? not a chance. They won't order them either unless I have more than $100 worth of parts that I want.
I'd like to support them since they're local, but their policies drive me nuts. What about any Traxxas spurs that would fit?

I think I'll go to 32 pitch if they have anything, but there isn't a lot of "creative thinking" that goes on there. Very limited selection of anything but stock parts; they say no one buys them.

Personally, I think that there would be a lot more interest in the hobby here if you could get some hop-up parts easily. As it is now, everything I've ordered for the wraith in upgrade parts I've ordered myself online because these guys are just not getting the whole concept of upgrading the stock truck.
One of them even asked me why I'd want to, since Traxxas are "perfect right out of the box"
Who knew???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
If you're staying with 48p gears then look at maybe a 84/16 setup on 3s. Shooting for faster then stock really isn't a great idea on a brushed system unless you are looking at stock on 2s vs something else on 3s.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #14
20K Club

You can use 32p traxxas gears. 84/16 is 5.25:1. Just get something close or lower geared as in 6:1.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:54 AM   #15
PapaGriz Yo

I've been running a HHH Torquemaster Pro 21T in Peanut the rockeracer for 2 years now. I absolutely love the motor and have had a blast with it in the sand snow and rocks.

I run a Stampede tranny with 84/22 48 pitch gearing, a BR-XL, and a 2200mAh 3S LiPo.

With the Wraith being bigger and maybe a bit heavier I agree that 84/16 would be a good starting point for the gearing. Watch your temps and dial in the gearing to stay around 160 degrees F. Don't be afraid to run it on 3S though.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #16

You may also want to upgrade your lockers. My 28 turn crawlmaster destroyed my stock wraith locker after a few packs. As far as gearing goes I ordered some duratrax 56 tooth 32 pitch spurs part # DTXC9397 and robinson racing 9 10 11 12 13 and 14 tooth pinions. This lets me fine tune my wheel speed to my conditions and motor temps. This setup also fits under the stock cover.
AaronJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Lots of good options...thanks everyone! good to hear that Traxxas 32p spurs will work....it's easy enough to order online, but I've spent more time waiting for stuff to arrive than I have actually running the truck, so it'll be a refreshing change to actually get a part ( ANY part) locally. I think I'll take a run over to the hobby shop this afternoon.

I can certainly see where this motor could chew up a locker and spit it out. huge torque increase. I'm regretting leaving this till the last upgrade. it would have been great to have had this kind of performance before the ground got white.

I gotta say though, the rooster tails are impressive in the sloppy slush we have now. My wife is gonna be pissed; there are muddy slush stripes up the wall of the house about 12 feet tall, and it's too cold to try to wash them off.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:11 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I ran over to the hobby shop last night, and the best they could come up with was 32 pitch traxxas parts, 70/12 spur/pinion, which should give me a 5.83:1 ratio I think.

that should work O.K., keeping the 6:1 ratio Harley suggested in mind. I'm going to stick in in there this morning and see what it's like of 2s
Old 11-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Do you think going with a 12p and 87 spur is a good place to start with the 17t HH.? Or just leave the spur alone and go for the 12t pin.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #20
20K Club

Quote:
Do you think going with a 12p and 87 spur is a good place to start with the 17t HH.? Or just leave the spur alone and go for the 12t pin.
87/12 is better than 80/12 for that motor. Just be sure to watch temps. Be careful in any binds or you'll fry it.