RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Holmes Hobbie TorqueMaster Pro Handwound 540 Brushed motor work with Traxxas xl-5 esc (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/347421-holmes-hobbie-torquemaster-pro-handwound-540-brushed-motor-work-traxxas-xl-5-esc.html)

raiders32 11-11-2011 08:28 AM

Holmes Hobbie TorqueMaster Pro Handwound 540 Brushed motor work with Traxxas xl-5 esc

I'm currently running an integy 35t motor and I'm thinking of replacing it with a better motor. Althought its a pretty good motor, when I get in situations where i need torque, the motor starts clicking. I was wondering if the Holmes Hobbie TorqueMaster Pro Handwound 540 Brushed motor work with the Traxxas xl-5 esc. I'm running my truck with a Traxxas 5 series 7-cell battery, 5000 mah.

Thanks in advance!

benoj 11-11-2011 10:10 AM

yes it will work fine with a xl5 esc but its not the best esc fo crawling. while you are at it if you have the funds i would look into getting one of the hh brxl esc/hh motor combos.

Trubble 11-11-2011 10:17 AM

I'm fairly certain the XL-5 is rated for 540 motors of 15 turns or more, so if you're going to go with another 35 turn, you should have no problem. If you were going to drop down to a 20 turn and debating the drawbacks of a silver-can 20 turn and a quality hand-wound motor, then you might need to be concerned, but for a 35, you should be fine.

TexasSP 11-11-2011 10:18 AM

I would first upgrade your ESC and battery to get better results.

Go with the HH BRXL and a 3s lipo, then if funds are left, get a new motor.

Charlie-III 11-11-2011 01:08 PM

I wonder if the "clicking" is due to a chipped/broken/dinged tooth on the pinion or spur gear?:roll:

As to the 7 cell battery, I'm assuming it's a NiMH?? Is it fairly new? What brand is it (I hate quite a few OEM style packs, I only buy from CBP).

Yes, that motor should work with your ESC.

What rig and do you comp??

raiders32 11-12-2011 06:34 AM

I have an axial scx10 and i only crawl for fun.

the_ghetto_rig 11-12-2011 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasSP (Post 3375738)
I would first upgrade your ESC and battery to get better results.

Go with the HH BRXL and a 3s lipo, then if funds are left, get a new motor.

X2.. I run a MMP on 4S lipo and just have a $20 Traxxas Titan motor, and it works perfect for me..

YYCADM 11-12-2011 07:24 AM

I just installed a HH torquemaster and esc combo....it's a completely different truck. GOBS of power, torque like I never dreamed of. Make sure that your drivetrain is up to it though. Anything still plastic WILL break...in a total of four days of minimal running with this combo( we have six inches of snow on the ground, so it has been minimal) I have destroyed every plastic drive component on the truck. ( Wraith BTW)

I'd seen lots of photos of the spagetti driveshafts from Wraiths, but hadn't ever experienced it until now. The stock drive shafts lasted less than three seconds of WOT. It's a killer combo.