Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Dual FXR setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Dual FXR setup

I am getting ready to install and set up dual Tekin FX-R's in my XR10 and I believe I read somewhere that someone was having a problem getting theirs set up and working together properly. I will be using a 3PK radio and I wondered the best way to do the initial setup on each one. Do you need to set them up with your radio parameters one at a time individually? Or do you turn them both on simultaneously to do the setup? Any thoughts and recommendations from those with the same setup? I'd love some serious input so I know what I'll be up against. I want to make sure I do it correctly the FIRST time! Thanks for any help you can give!
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
Yashua

I run dual fxr's in my super, i set up each fxr seperatley (i used the hotwire but it is'nt necessary) first.then hook esc's to reciever. I run a 4pl , but i assume it would bassically be the same, set up your radio parameters then bind tx to rx.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
RCC Addict

There isn't a wrong or right way.

What I did is to load the initial settups in each FXR with a Hotwire (not really required, the buttons will do). Then I wired it all up in the chassis and even connected the motors (reverse wire the rear or rotate the end bell 180 degrees). Turn on the TX and then power up the rig. Calibrate the front ESC (allowing the rear to spin the wheels while on a stand of course), then calibrate the rear ESC and voila, you are done.

Does that make sense?
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Good tips guys! That makes total sense AreCee. I had thought about buying the hotwire and that confirms it for me. I will definitely pick one up before I go any further. I'd rather have the extra ease of tweaking by way of the computer. Just seems a better way to go (at least for me). Are there any settings I should pay particular attention to, or set a certain way in the esc's via the hotwire?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyStyle View Post
Good tips guys! That makes total sense AreCee. I had thought about buying the hotwire and that confirms it for me. I will definitely pick one up before I go any further. I'd rather have the extra ease of tweaking by way of the computer. Just seems a better way to go (at least for me). Are there any settings I should pay particular attention to, or set a certain way in the esc's via the hotwire?
Yes, check the firmware version and be sure both are using the same one this is what you need the Hotwire for. The other thing to use the Hotwire is for the LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff), I like to set mine at 3.2V/cell (6.4 for 2S and 9.6 for 3S) again you need the Hotwire for this. The rest of the settings are doable by using the buttons.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Yes, check the firmware version and be sure both are using the same one this is what you need the Hotwire for. The other thing to use the Hotwire is for the LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff), I like to set mine at 3.2V/cell (6.4 for 2S and 9.6 for 3S) again you need the Hotwire for this. The rest of the settings are doable by using the buttons.
Perfect. Yeah I guess I should have mentioned I plan on using a 3S Lipo, 1100mah. I had definitely wondered what was the best Lipo cutoff to set. That is an excellent tip man, I will definitely be getting a hotwire immediately. Thanks again!
Old 11-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I'm getting dual FXR's set up in my 2.2 Bully. This is to replace dual CC MM's (one recently died, but it was old & used).

One comment I have is, comparing between the MM's & the FXR's, I can do all my settings in one ESC (including throttle & brake curves), save to my laptop, then load into the other ESC (when using the MM's).
To do so with the FXR's I did a screen shot of the 1st ESC settings, then had to copy them over to the 2nd one.
Not hard, not as easy.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
I'm getting dual FXR's set up in my 2.2 Bully. This is to replace dual CC MM's (one recently died, but it was old & used).

One comment I have is, comparing between the MM's & the FXR's, I can do all my settings in one ESC (including throttle & brake curves), save to my laptop, then load into the other ESC (when using the MM's).
To do so with the FXR's I did a screen shot of the 1st ESC settings, then had to copy them over to the 2nd one.
Not hard, not as easy.
Very good to know! This will come in extremely handy, thanks Charlie!
Old 11-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyStyle View Post
Very good to know! This will come in extremely handy, thanks Charlie!
I should have mine running tonight, so I may have more to add. Glad my post helped you out some though.

I did make sure I had the same firmware installed in each ESC. But, I miss the programming ability (and file copying) of the Mamba Max's.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
I should have mine running tonight, so I may have more to add. Glad my post helped you out some though.

I did make sure I had the same firmware installed in each ESC. But, I miss the programming ability (and file copying) of the Mamba Max's.
I can see where that file copy feature would be highly convenient. But I have no problem screen shotting it and then just recreating the settings myself. It's an extra step, but I'll chalk it up to extra practice for me! lol.
Good luck with your setup! Keep us posted on how it goes.