Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Axial Wraith speed control issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Axial Wraith speed control issue

Howdy, my new wraith with about 4 batteries through it has started to act up. If you gently apply throttle until wide open, all is well. If you smash the throttle wide open it lurches and does nothing until you release the throttle slighty and then it will take off, you can then apply full throttle.

I have "re-bound" the radio, and the speed control light goes to full red under both scenarios.

Any ideas? Thanks.
skybolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Did the LiPO cutoff (AKA, LVC) get set/reset? Does it do it on one battery pack or all packs?

What batteries (# cells, mah/capacity, "C" rating)?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Its a six cell NI-MH 3300mah, and yes it does it on both of the packs I have for it.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post
Its a six cell NI-MH 3300mah, and yes it does it on both of the packs I have for it.
Ahhhh....sounds like the ESC has the LVC enabled, it is likely shutting down the ESC under load (thinking you are running a LiPO pack). Check the ESC and turn the LVC off if you find it enabled.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Question Issues too

I am having issues with my stock Wraith ESC too, I wonder if this is my issue too, if so how did you reset the esc to standard mode or turned off the LVC? Mine just blinks red and green at the same time and does nothing when I plug it in and follow setup?
nut_up_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

yep thats the low voltage cut off for the esc. try it with a fully charged battery pack and tell us if its doing the same thing.

Not sure on reset, as i bought my wraith in kit form with no stock ESC
OntarioCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:09 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Hmm...sounds like were getting handle on this. It turns out its a Castle esc and in order to make adjustments I think I need a "Castle link" usb thingy.
The odd part is it didnt act up at first, and has slowly become more consistent.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 11-08-2011, 05:35 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hmm...sounds like were getting handle on this. It turns out its a Castle esc and in order to make adjustments I think I need a "Castle link" usb thingy.
The odd part is it didnt act up at first, and has slowly become more consistent.

Thanks for the help guys!
Yes, you need a Castle Link. The good part is that the same link will also work with Castle BEC's.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Hey guys, just back from my LHS with my Wraith that had an esc issue. He turned off the "lipo cutoff" and the issue still existed. We called Axial, got right through, and the gentleman asked what I had for batteries and said that the Nm Hi didnt have enough "poop" to satisfy the esc, and to try a lipo. My guy pulled a new 2cell from the package, plugged it in and all was well!!!

now my Wraith is back in business!!
Old 11-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hey guys, just back from my LHS with my Wraith that had an esc issue. He turned off the "lipo cutoff" and the issue still existed. We called Axial, got right through, and the gentleman asked what I had for batteries and said that the Nm Hi didnt have enough "poop" to satisfy the esc, and to try a lipo. My guy pulled a new 2cell from the package, plugged it in and all was well!!!

now my Wraith is back in business!!
Hmmmm....what kind of NiMH pack?? I've never had that issue before, but I also run decent NiMH packs as well (all bought from CBP).
Maybe you have a NiMH cell starting to fail (within the pack), that would cause issues as described.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Hmmmm....what kind of NiMH pack?? I've never had that issue before, but I also run decent NiMH packs as well (all bought from CBP).
Maybe you have a NiMH cell starting to fail (within the pack), that would cause issues as described.
Its a 3300mah speedpack dy Dynamite, I bought two of them in may of this year and they each have only 10-12 runs on each, with the new lipo the wraith goes REALLY well!! very pleased!