Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: hooking up a 3racing winch to DX3E radio,SR300 receiver?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default hooking up a 3racing winch to DX3E radio,SR300 receiver?

i usually try not to make a new thread unless i have to but i did some searching and couldnt find what i was looking for.. so here's what im wanting to do... i have a DX3E radio (3-position), SR300 receiver and 3racing winch with the push button controller. i want to run the winch using the radio and im putting a servo on the plow im building to angle it side to side and need to be able to run that too. but its not necessary right now.

so my question is how do i do this? i'll most likely add a 2nd battery just to run the winch. the winch will be used to lift plow up/down.

thanks for the replies.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2011, 12:46 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

you have a winch with a push button controller? Is it wireless?? if so, put the 2nd servo (the one that makes the plow go side to side) on channel 3 and use the wireless winch controller to make the plow go up and down.

if you don't have a wireless controller for the winch...you need 4 channels.

yes, second battery to run the winch..and why not the second servo?? and your steering servo...
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You can use one of the winch controllers I make. It will run from the power it gets from the receiver, no need for a second battery. A bonus is that the controller is very small.

These are the winch controllers I make (sounds like the first one would suit you best):

Winch Controller for Radio with Three Position Channel

Winch Controller for Radio with 2 Position Third Channel

Higher Voltage Winch Controller
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
RCC Addict

i dont have a wireless controller. its the controller that came with the 3racing winch.

lets see if i get this.

so if plug my controller into the receiver (im not worried about running the servo for plow right now) and into a 2nd battery set my radio for 3rd position it should work right??
Old 11-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX10wannabe View Post
i dont have a wireless controller. its the controller that came with the 3racing winch.

lets see if i get this.

so if plug my controller into the receiver (im not worried about running the servo for plow right now) and into a 2nd battery set my radio for 3rd position it should work right??
Yes
Old 11-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
RCC Addict

plugged everything into where it should be and nothing happens..im lost..
Old 11-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #7

You mentioned 3-position, so I assume you set the aux switch at 3 position. I know previously I did not do that, so the winch would not work.
skulldigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
RCC Addict

^^ ya i do have it set at 3p.hmmm...
Old 11-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Plug a servo (even if it is your steering servo) into ch3 and make sure CH3 works the way you expect. You might also try plugging the winch into the steering channel and see if you can work it that way to help narrow down the problem.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
RCC Addict

ok i'll try that right now thanks.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:29 PM   #11
RCC Addict

so i plugged a spare servo into the aux port and the 3rd position works fine. so now im thinking its the actual winch thats the problem.. maybe i'll pull it apart and see what i can find out.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:49 PM   #12
RCC Addict

pulled the winch apart and everything seemed fine so i dont know whats going on.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:23 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Could be a dead control unit. 3racing winches are notorious for the stock contoller sh!tting the bed.

Unspool some cable by hand and put direct power to the winch. If it spools in or out the winch isnt the problem, its the controller.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:28 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I had a similar issue. I plugged everything in and nothing worked. Then I came to RCC and tried again. I've got the RX plug from the winch controller into the 2ch RX. I plugged the winch into the controller, turned everything on and wala! it works. Moved it to the 3ch and it was fine. All I had to worry about is the placement of the controller. Once it got jammed in a between the frame and the upper link and spooled the cable out until I unplugged it and figured it out. It stumped me for a bit.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:34 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Like I said before, if your controller is broken, I can supply you with a new one. The ones I make work better than the stock controller.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #16
RCC Addict

you live in vancouver BC?? im heading over to vancouver island on friday with my parents to pick up a 5th wheel trailer dad bought and if i get some money before then i'll definitely consider one!!
Old 11-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Sounds good. I will have one for you.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #18
RCC Addict

hmmm interesting... so this will work for my DX3E radio right?? i did sifting through your threads and it sounds like its something i could use.. i knew the 3racing winch controller wasnt gonna last long but damn... i only got like 2 uses out of it. haha.

EDIT: so i'll let you know tomorrow what our schedule is like for friday. im not sure what time we're leaving the house but we can talk threw PM about contact info.

Last edited by AX10wannabe; 11-21-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:34 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

this is odd, im tempted to meet you at lesters one day in vernon just to test, my winch or winch controller to your winch just to test for you, it sounds like it is just the winch controller crapped out, and i'm running the 3 racing winch with a hijack deans with the stock push button, no remote control yet, and ive been running it off 7 cell ni-mh and ive had over 20 uses out of it so far and still works great!
Spiike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #20
RCC Addict

ya i know it's weird. i was talking to a friend last night seeing if he had any ideas and his winch controller (he bought the same winch setup as me) works just fine. he even tested while on the phone.. lol haha. so i guess either consider getting the bulldog 9300ST winch (non-wireless one) and running that or just buy my friends stock winch controller from him.

i think i've gotten it down to the controller thats the problem.