Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: BRXL+Castle Link+Bec=? How do i set BEC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
Sometimes, I make things.

Default BRXL+Castle Link+Bec=? How do i set BEC?

Yes, i did a search, so please dont tell me to do a search.

I am trying to set the BEC on my Wraith, it has a BRXL and a CC BEC and i cant seem to figure out how to set the BEC. I have it all hooked up correctly, i think, i have the link plugged in, and a battery plugged in to power up the BEC but i just dont see anywhere in the Holmes version of the Castle Link Software to set the BEC output voltage. Its all wired in like it needs to be, and i am getting really frustrated with it, you would think there would just be a scroll menu to set it like everything else..... any help would be greatly appreciated, i am about ready to throw the truck across the room.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Which BEC are you trying to set? The BRXL internal or the CC?
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Im not sure but the BRXL you cant set but the CCbec you need to have a Castle Link and software on a comp to change the voltage.
Castle Creations Castle Link USB Programmer Adapter [CSE010-0005-00] | RC Helicopters - A Main Hobbies
You may be able to hit your local hobb and have tham change it for you if they have a Link.
omenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You don't need to plug a battery in to program it, it snags power from the castle link. On mine I have to isolate the bec otherwise when I plug in the castle link it tries to power up both bec's and the esc. Basically unhook one of the power leads of the bec and plug castle link into the bec.
slowrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrockr View Post
You don't need to plug a battery in to program it, it snags power from the castle link. On mine I have to isolate the bec otherwise when I plug in the castle link it tries to power up both bec's and the esc. Basically unhook one of the power leads of the bec and plug castle link into the bec.

Agreed, the CCBEC needs to be disconected from the ESC and it's best to have it isolated from everything else before you try to reset it.
tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman View Post
Agreed, the CCBEC needs to be disconnected from the ESC and it's best to have it isolated from everything else before you try to reset it.
+2....If you have the programming cable (the CC link has a small PC board on the end of the USB cable) then you plug that into the BEC direct through the BEC connection that normally goes to the RX or servo.
If the software can't find it, try removing the programmer connection from the BEC and flip it over. There is a small "+" & "-" on the board, the "-" goes to the black or brown connection on the BEC.

If the HH software is an issue (doubt it) but you have the cable & board, try downloading the CC link software from CC.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I have found that my CCBEC's to be hooked up to a battery in order for the computer to find it....anyone else???
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
I have found that my CCBEC's to be hooked up to a battery in order for the computer to find it....anyone else???
Yes, that is when you dont disconnect the bec from the common battery wires to isolate it from the ESC.

I think if you use the castle link software you should be able to program it without disconnecting it from the ESC and all that.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #9

I have a field programmer card hooked to a usb then to my computerrr. I am using the standard CC bEC, it is all wired up, 2 steering serbos and the BRXL, I will try to disconnect the BEC but thought you could program it w/o dismalteling all my soldering. I will mess with it some more before tearing the wiring appart. Thanks for the input so far.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

did your drivers install correctly? when i got my Castle link, i downloaded the software and installed that without a problem. but when i hooked up the Link board it said "installing device drivers" but i never did, so the link software never recognized the Link board.
asian195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #11

The software updated but I can't find any BEC settings in the software, not even for the internnal BEC in the ESC...
Old 11-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

are you plugging the 3-wire from the ESC into the Link or the 3-wire from the BEC?

Plug in the BEC 3-wire and restart the link program on your computer....it should blink green and show the CCBEC as connected, then you can set the BEC voltage

And use the Castle Link on a PC, the Field Link does not allow you to adjust BEC settings
Dogbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #13

Ii have it wired up completly, I didn't set it before installing it, but I thought you could still set if afterwards but I guess not. I willtake the wiring apart and plug it in isolated, after rewiring a plug back onto it. That's a PITA, not loking forward to it, but its gotta be done. I wish the software was calibrated to pick up a separate BEC but there may be more to it than I understand, I am sure it would be able to be done

EDIT:

Got it done, wasn't too bad but tearing down the electronics on a heavily waterproofed truck is not fun. Now to reseal everything.

Last edited by crazyorigin; 11-21-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyorigin View Post
Ii have it wired up completly, I didn't set it before installing it, but I thought you could still set if afterwards but I guess not. I willtake the wiring apart and plug it in isolated, after rewiring a plug back onto it. That's a PITA, not loking forward to it, but its gotta be done. I wish the software was calibrated to pick up a separate BEC but there may be more to it than I understand, I am sure it would be able to be done
It will pickup a separate BEC.

Whatever plug it is plugged into will determine what device you are adjusting settings on.

We are still confused, are you trying to set the internal BEC or the external BEC?

For internal, plug it into the harness of the ESC.
For external, plug it intot he harness of the BEC.

You will probably need to plug a battery in to get enough power to the components to be able to program them.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #15
RCC Addict

The only way I get my external cc bec to program is by pulling the rx wire from the bec out of the rx but leave the esc plugged into the rx, next plug in the rx wire of the bec to the link or field programmer, plug power into the esc and then run the software.

To program the esc, make sure the cc bec is plugged back into the rx, pull the rx wires of the esc and connect to the link, plug in your battery and then open software.

This is based on the red lead of the esc being disconnected to disable the internal bec on the esc. I really think using the castle bec is useless anyways with the brxl cause it has a great internal bec that can stand up to some serious load. I guess it would make the brxl run cooler though
kurtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #16

I am runnning a CC BEC, I stated that somewhere. I don't have the plug on the BEC still,, I hardwire my bec's into the servo wiring and only the signal from the servo goes to the Rx. I am running 2 steering servos on this particular rig for 4ws so it is in Ch1 and Ch3 for steering duties, Ch2 for the esc.

I was originally plugging in the ESC's Rx wire and trying to program it that way, I could not get it to program the BEC w/o taking the BEC completly off my wiring harness both for the power wires and the Rx wires. I twisted on the old Rx plug and wires, set it to 7.4 and it worked fine, soldered it back into my wiring and now the rig has all sorts of steering power w/ the 8711's.

I tried to plug in the servo plugs into the link but that did nothing as I figured it would, both powered and unpowered.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #17
RCC Addict

That explains it better, rmdesignworks makes an adapter to wire your servos direct to a bec the way you have but allows you to keep all the rx ends on your gear so that you don't have to wreck anything. Probably too late now but if you want to redo your wiring setup so you can make on the fly adjustment it might be worth rewiring.

check out post 16 to see what I'm talking about
Can you run a bone stock Wraith on 3s?

Last edited by kurtus; 11-21-2011 at 03:11 PM.
kurtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #18

I will look into that harrness for future prects, thanks.