Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Deans or not to Deans. That is the question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Deans or not to Deans. That is the question

I have been running EC5 connectors on my high amp truggy and short course stuff. The deans packaging is much better. Does anyone have any definitive info on max amperage of deans connector. I really want to ditch the ec5 and go back to deans, but not it they are going to make me suffer performance.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
I have been running EC5 connectors on my high amp truggy and short course stuff. The deans packaging is much better. Does anyone have any definitive info on max amperage of deans connector. I really want to ditch the ec5 and go back to deans, but not it they are going to make me suffer performance.
Dean's are the best plugs on earth! If soldered correctly they are virtually the same as hard wiring. I've used them for years in every rc application that I've tried and have never had one fail on me. I've even heard of guys using them for super high volt/hi amp applications that aren't even RC related with no problems. Do yourself a favor and make the switch to Dean's. Nothing else compares.
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Due to the nature of typical crawler amp loads, I really see no issues using Deans as a connector. The loads are usually not real high, and when they are, it is usually for short durations, unlike "go-fasts".
If you like Deans, then do the change.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
cherry bomb

a bullet connector is hard to beat, I use the connector most common at my race track, that way if someone needs a battery they are ready to go.
Deans/T-Connector type

i've been using dean's for years, and switched to knock off deans (eBay) with mixxed results, I never had issues but friends had them fail and take their ESC with it, they have all switched to genuine deans and have no more issues at all. (were talkin 1/8 race buggies and truggies on 4s lipo's, and short course trucks on 2s)
I switched to hobbyking deans since someone else was using them and had no issues, the quality is better then eBay knock offs and they are consistantly the same (cheaper too)
if you are worried about them not supporting the draw defnatly run the real deal Deans plug. as it's been proven better at my track. (use fake ones on chargers and low draw applications to save a bit)

if you want to try the hobbyking ones PM me your address and i'll send a few sets out. (I have a huge bag of eBay knock off's if you want to, i'm switching to all hobbyking)
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
a bullet connector is hard to beat, I use the connector most common at my race track, that way if someone needs a battery they are ready to go.
Deans/T-Connector type

i've been using dean's for years, and switched to knock off deans (eBay) with mixxed results, I never had issues but friends had them fail and take their ESC with it, they have all switched to genuine deans and have no more issues at all. (were talkin 1/8 race buggies and truggies on 4s lipo's, and short course trucks on 2s)
I switched to hobbyking deans since someone else was using them and had no issues, the quality is better then eBay knock offs and they are consistantly the same (cheaper too)
if you are worried about them not supporting the draw defnatly run the real deal Deans plug. as it's been proven better at my track. (use fake ones on chargers and low draw applications to save a bit)

if you want to try the hobbyking ones PM me your address and i'll send a few sets out. (I have a huge bag of eBay knock off's if you want to, i'm switching to all hobbyking)
Wow, I do feel ignorant, but I didn't know about the eBay Dean's plug knock off's. I guess I'm glad I didn't know as I might have tried them and had a failure from that reverse-engineered Hong Kong BS. I stick with the original Dean's Ultra plugs all the way and swear by them! Never had a problem with one, ever.
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

My emaxx w mamba monster and 4s has no issues ar all. And thats w a series harness made out of deans as well. So 3prs of deans inline and no issues.

I've had trouble w knockoff types.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Deans are pretty tough to beat. They can be challenging to solder if you're not comfortable with a soldering iron, or if you've got a low powered one though.

I've used them for years on all kinds of R.C. stuff, from helicopters to tanks, trucks, etc..up to and including my Baja 5b. Never, ever had one fail. Never tried the knock-off versions though.

I do have a few Traxxas connectors on different things too, and they're fairly good as well. Easier to solder since the blades slide out of the housing, and they seem to stand high current/amp rates well. I like them better than Deans in applications where you don't have a lot of room to disconnect the pllug; they tend to be easier than Deans to separate.
YYCADM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I have been using the hobby king deans for a couple of years. But I just ordered 100 pair from eBay. Hopefully they are not to bad. Worse comes to worst ill trash them and be out $27. I also have 100 pair of mini deans coming fro the same seller. 200 pair for $55 shipped. I would think that they probably will work fine on my crawlers.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I just made the switch to EC5 connectors on all my equipment.

Easy to solder, handles higher amperage, and less expensive that Deans.

HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : EC5 5mm Connector (Pair)
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

i run deans on my slash brushless. was running 4s and had the thing around 100 kmh. the power the deans can handle is obscene. Ive never had a problem with them, but you gotta be good at soildering, as they melt with too much heat.

i can get away with tamiya on my crawler just cus im lazy and havent switched them, but all my batteries are deans.
OntarioCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

The Deans Ultra plug is rated for 60A continuous and 75A burst

Taken from another forum:
Max amp rating on deans? - HeliFreak

Cant say how accurate that is but its something...
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I use ec5 connectors on all my stuff, they're pretty easy to solder if you do it right to make sure you don't get a cold joint.

The only thing that annoys the crap out of me is every time i buy a used part the damn thing always has deans on it so i have to cut it off and re-solder

I've seriously considered switching all my stuff to deans just for that reason
mdchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:17 AM   #13
RCC Addict

*** Elektromodellflug - Hochstromstecker
EGRESSor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:47 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Been using Deans for over ten years and never had a failure, meltdown or anything using them in 1/8 buggy/truggy to minis, 6S lipo to 2/3A mini packs.

In my MOA it saves a little room but you could really use anything except Tamiya. Only the battery has Deans the rest is all hard wired (both ESCs, BEC and motors)

I do use bullets in my pan cars but that's because the batteries have tube connectors. I tried the 4mm for 1/8 scale but they are not as convenient as the Deans.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:38 AM   #15

I also have been using Deans for a long time. I have never had problems with them. THe only things that annoys me is soldering them. My second choice would be bullet connectors.
motofreak32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #16
sim
Quarry Creeper

Why all the complaints about soldering Deans? Plug them into pairs, grip them in a vise, use a 60w soldering iron with a big tip, easy peasy.
Soldering Dean plugs

sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Deans or not to Deans. That is the question

OK odd question to add here but are the EC5's easier to disconnect then the deans? Every deans plug I've ever had has been a bugger to get apart. The reason I'm asking is that I have a 12 and 13 year old who are disconnecting batteries and at times they don't care as much as they should when disconnecting them. I've seen the EC5's but never got to use them. Right now we have a mixed bag of Traxxas and deans. I want to standardize so we can share batt's.
zeroack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroack View Post
OK odd question to add here but are the EC5's easier to disconnect then the deans? Every deans plug I've ever had has been a bugger to get apart. The reason I'm asking is that I have a 12 and 13 year old who are disconnecting batteries and at times they don't care as much as they should when disconnecting them. I've seen the EC5's but never got to use them. Right now we have a mixed bag of Traxxas and deans. I want to standardize so we can share batt's.
To make Deans easier to remove, I've seen people drill a small hole between the 2 blades (through the plastic) on each connector and run an insulated wire or small nylon ty-wrap through to make a loop. You grab the 2 loops to pull the connection apart.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #19

my god could that iron be any dirtier?

i rub a tad of dialectric grease on my deans blades. makes them easy to pull apart.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #20

also... its been said but make sure you join a male and female together before soldering so the blades dont get tweaked.

and i forgot to say i put the dialectric grease on the blades after i solder them. for all i know its not smart to do for current reasons, but i've never had a problem and it makes them easy to pull apart.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote