Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Did I just Fry Everthing? Ahhh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 11:50 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Did I just Fry Everthing? Ahhh

I was up late last night getting my Berg all wired up. Spent tons of time cutting the wires to the correct length, laying down some perfect solders, making everything removable using bullet connectors. Then what do I do, wire the deans connector wrong coming off the ESC to Batt. Plug it in, and I hear a PUFF and the battery got so hot I had to drop it. : (

As far as I can tell the FX-R is fried, I hope the Punk dig is ok, as well as the motors.

Everything was brand new. I was so bummed I just went to bed. Next time I won't stay up till 2am working on technical stuff.

Will Tekin be able to fix the ESC? or is it toast.
Diablo169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2011, 12:39 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Yea your FXR is fried...Good news the punk should be ok.

Hit up Tekin and see what they say.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:15 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Ok that's good. I really couldn't do anything more than laugh when it happened. I spend over $300 and then I go and wire the power leads wrong. Unbelievable!
Old 11-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

dont feel to bad man, i pretty much did the same thing to a rooster crawler when i first got my crawler. i was reworking everything on the crawler because i got it used and it was set up poorly. some how when i was setting up the steering i hooked the battery up to the motor leads off the esc and poof. BUT... i know i will NEVER do that again
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja turtle View Post
Some how when I was setting up the steering I hooked the battery up to the motor leads off the ESC and poof. BUT... I know I will NEVER do that again
That is why plugs off the ESC should be different, like a male from the ESC to battery (the battery has a female so it won't short out easily) and a female from the ESC to the motor. Then you CAN'T connect the ESC incorrectly (unless you soldered the wires reversed polarity....but that's a different issue).

Live & learn.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
That is why plugs off the ESC should be different, like a male from the ESC to battery (the battery has a female so it won't short out easily) and a female from the ESC to the motor. Then you CAN'T connect the ESC incorrectly (unless you soldered the wires reversed polarity....but that's a different issue).

Live & learn.
yup, like i said it was setup poorly. all is fixed now.
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post

Live & learn.
Thats a very good idea that I would have not thought of. I'm getting ready to rewire my "bought used" ax10. The previous wiring is a cluster fuk and the last thing i need to see is a puff of smoke, hehehe.
eastside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside View Post
That's a very good idea that I would have not thought of. I'm getting ready to rewire my "bought used" AX10. The previous wiring is a cluster fuk and the last thing I need to see is a puff of smoke, hehehe.
No problem, part of the use of a forum is to "hopefully" learn from other peoples mistakes.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #9
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo169 View Post
I really couldn't do anything more than laugh when it happened. I spend over $300 and then I go and wire the power leads wrong. Unbelievable!
I feel ya. In 1995 I spent $420 (big bucks back then and for a college kid) on a headphone amplifier to have as I spent 45 minutes walking to THEE Ohio State University and class to class. I used it for years. Then it sat for ~15 years and one day I decided to take an old 5000 mah 3S lipo and solder on the proper connector so I'd have lipo battery powering the headphone amplifier. By now you might have guessed that I soldered the plug reverse polarity. Brilliant. Now I have a smoked out stinky useless headphone amplifier, and a reminder how the little things can go by unnoticed and in the end you get nothing. Took me years to learn the importance of a multimeter and a simple double check before you plug in power. Stupid. I even built two tubed amplifiers without a single double check of my work anywhere, and those both worked first try...

It's like wearing safety glasses. Oh sure I only gotta grind off a little tiny bit for a second, no need for glasses, then WHAM!!!! right in the eye. Been there twice.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Yes...safety glasses are a must....happened to me yesterday....aluminum shavings in the eye from my dremel....
Deans and multicolored wire help me....I think we've all been their at one time or another
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #11
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
...aluminum shavings in the eye from my dremel...
Last time it lodged itself into my eyelid which naturally became infected and turned into a huge nasty mess of an eyelid that kept oozing copious amounts of ooze. I'd wake up in the morning with my eyelid glued shut. Eventually my kick ass body worked the piece out in the form of some nasty blood filled puss sack I yanked off the inside of my eyelid. That's when I said, "Alright!!! I wear the stupid safety glasses."
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

^ Yeah I've been there I got a grinder shaving in my eye, and then had to have it scrapped out by a 4" long needle, not fun.

I got my berg running, bought another FX-R, LHS was having a tax free and 10% off sale, I should of bought more stuff, quite a sale. Got an FX-R and the hotwire for $115 out the door.

Now I just need to figure out how to get my DX3S to switch the Punk Dig switch properly
Old 11-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Glad to see you're not throwing stuff Diablo
Old 11-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Last time it lodged itself into my eyelid which naturally became infected and turned into a huge nasty mess of an eyelid that kept oozing copious amounts of ooze. I'd wake up in the morning with my eyelid glued shut. Eventually my kick ass body worked the piece out in the form of some nasty blood filled puss sack I yanked off the inside of my eyelid. That's when I said, "Alright!!! I wear the stupid safety glasses."
Quote:
^ Yeah I've been there I got a grinder shaving in my eye, and then had to have it scrapped out by a 4" long needle, not fun.

I got my berg running, bought another FX-R, LHS was having a tax free and 10% off sale, I should of bought more stuff, quite a sale. Got an FX-R and the hotwire for $115 out the door.

Now I just need to figure out how to get my DX3S to switch the Punk Dig switch properly
Yea I went to the eye doctor thinking I had pink eye (they thought I did too when I walked in and they saw it) and ended up having my eyeball probed by a big needle to get some chunks of steel out of it. Scary as hell watching a needle coming closer and closer...Worst thing I ever had to pay for!

On the DX3S, unfortunately it doesnt have a 3 position 3rd channel only two position. You wont be able to have 4wd and both front and rear dig on the standard punk, you need to choose one or the other (easy choice). What you will want to do is set one sides EPA (end point adjustment) down low so that the punk sees it as centered. Then just max the other side out so that the punk realizes that it isnt centered, now test it out and if you have rear dig rather than front then you just reverse the 3rd channel.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

i think the 3rd channel on the DX3S is a 2 position with the Punk DIG your going to need a 3 position
snail78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #16

I've smoked 2 esc in a span of 3 weeks. Now I have to send both for out of warranty service . Both were wired correctly and ran with a great battery. Went testing on the street after some adjustments and then "poof"!
motofreak32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post

On the DX3S, unfortunately it doesnt have a 3 position 3rd channel only two position. You wont be able to have 4wd and both front and rear dig on the standard punk, you need to choose one or the other (easy choice). What you will want to do is set one sides EPA (end point adjustment) down low so that the punk sees it as centered. Then just max the other side out so that the punk realizes that it isnt centered, now test it out and if you have rear dig rather than front then you just reverse the 3rd channel.
I didn't think of doing that, thanks I'll give it a try.

POSTCLANKER Do I know you? How do you know I throw things hahaha, you are in my back yard I live in Los Gatos.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I didn't think of doing that, thanks I'll give it a try.

POSTCLANKER Do I know you? How do you know I throw things hahaha, you are in my back yard I live in Los Gatos.
Wishfull thinking....don't want any fallout...
Los Gatos huh.....you should join us when you can....we hang out in

RTLC southbay rocks thread

Http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/calif...ht=Postclanker

Last edited by Postclanker; 11-27-2011 at 07:01 PM.