Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Venom fireball or axial motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Venom fireball or axial motor

I have a axial 55t motor in my crawler but also have a venom fireball modified 55t which is better
jesusfreakxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
Proverbial threadkiller

The stock Axial motor in m AX-10 is still doing just fine.

I've burned up two Fireball 55 turns now, but admittedly those were used for something other than what they were supposed to be used in.

The Venom should have bearings, the Axial bushings, but just having bearings isn't worth a whole lot if you have no intention of doing any maintenance/lubricating. Same with the replacable brushes, if you don't have a comm lathe (and the intention of using it), or at the very minimum comm sticks, then throwing new brushes at a funky comm won't get you real far. I'd say keep it as a backup, but at this point, I don't think one'd be 'better' than the other.

Then again, that's from the perspective of more of a basher than a competitor. If you plan on getting serious about comping, you might put more effort into making them work and get better results.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

They are about the same in performance. Not great, not bad......for fun or bashing.

I believe the Venom is rebuildable (don't quote me, I'm also not going to search ) which means it is likely a better long term motor.

Neither is great, a lot depends on what YOU want out of it.

Are you comping, or just driving for fun??
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
cherry bomb

the venom is rebuildable but it is complete junk, in my experiance the stock can motors have had more power and punch then the venom motors, stay away.

integy motors are great motors at a good price. i've ran many of them 35, 45, and 55t's (still use 2x45t's in my XR10 and dont plan to change them anytime soon)
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The venom has potential, but being chinese made some short cuts were taken.

First, the arm is kinda cheesy. The hysol is really thin in some areas, so often the wire insulation gets scratched as the arm is wound. This will often to lead to shorts and blown up motors. I would say 3/4 of the motors I have seen have had this problem.

The brush hoods, while a nifty idea, were poorly executed. They are cast, which is normally ok, but the casting is really bad. The brush often has LOTS of slop, which causes brush cocking.....which leads to premature brush wear and potentially a hung brush.

The bearings on some seem pretty crappy.....others just fine. Might of been two different vendors.

The can is thick, so good stuff. The magnets are pretty decent. At worst they are around an fb5....though I don't think they are TDK magnets though. The endbell itself seems rugged and light weight.

I've turned a bunch of these into solid motors. A little fiddling with the brush hoods, along with an armature upgrade turns these into a solid motor....

Even with the faults with these, I would still rather have them than the Axial motor. I've seen just as many of them go boom, and unlike the Venom, you can't rebuild them.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Well thank u guys for the info just had the venom motor sitting around and I drive for fun for now I do the real crawler and it cost way to much thanks again
jesusfreakxj is offline   Reply With Quote