Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: question about my steering servo??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #1

Default question about my steering servo??

Hello I have a custom axial crawler running super rooster crawler esc, and a dx3e remote system.. My problem is about every minute or so the steering servo will either stick at what turn im in or stick in neutral..its not binding it just dont respond when you steer.. I wait about 4 seconds and its good for another minute or soo...Not realy sure what can cause this...I replaced the remotes batteries but that didnt help.. when the servo is froze the rest of the truck performs fine, dig unit and throttle...any ideas would be greatly appreciated...thanks
hill270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

What servo are you running? Are you running and external BEC?

I might be wrong, but it sounds like your ESC BEC is starved for power. I recommend running an external BEC.

If you are running an external BEC, what voltage is it set at?
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Depending on the servo, I will guess it's a voltage brownout caused by the servo over drawing the ESC internal BEC.
If you are running over ~200inoz output from the servo, you likely need an external BEC. Most of us run a CC 10A BEC. Some wire direct, some wire through the RX.

I run direct as it means I don't have to care what the RX can handle for power throughput.

Dang GS, I type too slow.....
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #4

servo is Hitec HSC5998TG
as for the BEC not sure what you mean.. I didnt build this one..the whole unit runs on the one battery pack..but there is a little castle bec 10 amp peak..4.8V...Does this little thing need to be charged as well? it has a plug?
Old 11-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill270 View Post
servo is Hitec HSC5998TG
as for the BEC not sure what you mean.. I didn't build this one..the whole unit runs on the one battery pack..but there is a little castle bec 10 amp peak..4.8V...Does this little thing need to be charged as well? it has a plug?
Sounds like you have a CC external BEC.

Based on this..... Hitec HSC-5998TG Servo Specifications and Reviews you have a small servo (which is fine). I really can't believe the torque goes DOWN with more voltage.

This..... NSP: Hitec HSC-5998TG shows MORE torque with more voltage.

I would say to make sure the CC BEC is upped in voltage to 6VDC, make sure all pack connections are GOOD (no Tamiya connectors) and check to see the "C" rating on your pack.

Oh, and NO, the BEC does not need to be charged.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #6

Tamiya connectors? I have the old school clear plasic looking ones, real boxing looking...as far a C rating I cnt find anything on my pack..mine is a Trinity Performence 5000 mAh 7.2 volts...that external bec does it need to be charged or does it get its power from the battery?
Old 11-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Tamiya connectors look sorta like this.... Amazon.com: Connector Set 7.2V: Toys & Games , in short, they suck over time or under high load. If you have them, change to Deans or similar (I run Anderson PowerPoles/Sermos connectors).

And as I stated before, NO, the BEC does not need to be charged. It is a voltage regulator, it regulates voltage from the battery pack to whatever it's connected to.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #8

okay thanks for the help.. I have the sucky ones of coarse..I will try changing them over and go from there..I was thinking of going to lipo battery what would I need to change to go that way.. Sorry I havent had a electric truck in a long time I was into nitro..The game has changed a bunch...
Old 11-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

To run a LiPO you need:

-LiPO packs (duh...)
-LiPO capable charger (preferrably with a balance port that matches your pack balance plug)
-ESC with a LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff) or an external LVC.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #10

I knew I needed the packs...lol..thanks for the info..
Old 11-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #11

Ive been doing some research on the brownout issue..I dont think thats my problem because I only loose my steering..my Dig servo and throttle will work fine even when steering is out.. If I have read correctly brownout should make me loose all connection..right?.. I was reading on another forum about them testing the castle BEC he said something about maybe Hitec servos could possibly not handle the volts that the BEC is throwing at it.. I also researched the wire diagrams and my truck is wired properly..Could my BEC be going bad what are signs of that?..thanks for the help
Old 11-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

It's possible the BEC is failing. What voltage is it set to and what do you actually measure coming out of it? You want to check the voltage between the red & brown (or black) wires coming out of the BEC.

Yes, brownout usually kills everything until you remove the load. Having a BEC usually fixes that though.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #13

oaky Im not sure how to test what it is set at, however I did test the leads coming from the BEC and they were 6.5v...I had 8.09v going into it.. Could this be a transmitter or reciver problem?

Last edited by hill270; 11-28-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill270 View Post
OK, I'm not sure how to test what it is set at, however I did test the leads coming from the BEC and they were 6.5v...I had 8.09v going into it.. Could this be a transmitter or receiver problem?
To test what the BEC is set to, plug it into the Castle link, and see what the output setting is, compare that to what you measure coming out (sounds like you have it set to 6.5Volts).

I doubt it's a radio issue. You could always try swapping the ESC & steering plugs ins, that way your trigger does steering while the wheel does throttle. Be mindful that the steering EPA's may not be correct and the ESC is not calibrated.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #15

well I have pulled all the electronics from the truck..I have just ordered some dean plugs and a new CC BEC ..I am going to re wire it myself then I will have no one to blame but myself...I will try to keep you posted on how that goes...Thanks
Old 11-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I hope you resolve it, if not or you have other questions, please post back here and we will try & help out.