Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin fxr ALL LEDs are dim NEED HELP!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tekin fxr ALL LEDs are dim NEED HELP!!!!

Ran a comp last night and everything was fine. After the comp I wanted to check the firmware updates on my esc . We plugged in one to the hobbyshops computer to check it out ad we did indeed need to update it. At first it would not take the update, then it did and then the software said that it could not find the esc. We checked all the connections and every thing looked fine. Now the esc LEDs only glow softly and I have no motor power. We were able to redo the 2nd esc just fine. The manual does not cover this and I can not find any mention of this code on tekins website. One of the local hobby stores said today that the all dim is a code but they do not discuss it on the web site nor can I find it on other web sites? ANY HELP ??
BUGGYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGGYBOY View Post
Ran a comp last night and everything was fine. After the comp I wanted to check the firmware updates on my esc . We plugged in one to the hobbyshops computer to check it out ad we did indeed need to update it. At first it would not take the update, then it did and then the software said that it could not find the esc. We checked all the connections and every thing looked fine. Now the esc LEDs only glow softly and I have no motor power. We were able to redo the 2nd esc just fine. The manual does not cover this and I can not find any mention of this code on tekins website. One of the local hobby stores said today that the all dim is a code but they do not discuss it on the web site nor can I find it on other web sites? ANY HELP ??

I would have to guess you got a virus on the firmware update, and may have a faulty esc now? i would call tekin and if they cant fix it have them warranty it out. tekins tech # 208-634-5559

Last edited by Jrob; 11-26-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Jrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Tell the hobbyshop to fix it!
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty530crawlers View Post
I would have to guess you got a virus on the firmware update, and may have a faulty esc now? i would call tekin and if they cant fix it have them warranty it out. tekins tech # 208-634-5559

I will try that
Old 11-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
I do not think that it is their fault, they were trying to help, they know what they are doing and the other one went just fine.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
i have to agree X2 on this
snail78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

If I would have gotten a virus from the firmware update it would have happened to both esc's and it would have been from tekin because it was done as a direct link from tekin and no software was down loaded, plus were we having issues before the software was even updated. I think the the esc was having issues prior and this just brought them out. I will contact tekin on monday although I tried to contact them before and left a message with no return call , I will try again.
I was told that this is code though and is just not talked about , maybe maybe not.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGGYBOY View Post
If I would have gotten a virus from the firmware update it would have happened to both esc's and it would have been from tekin because it was done as a direct link from tekin and no software was down loaded, plus were we having issues before the software was even updated. I think the the esc was having issues prior and this just brought them out. I will contact tekin on monday although I tried to contact them before and left a message with no return call , I will try again.
I was told that this is code though and is just not talked about , maybe maybe not.
Sounds to me like the FXR disconnected from the Hotwire during the firmware update and now the firmware is incomplete. That would probably lead to random action of the LED's, there is no reason that there would be a code that "isnt talked about" and isnt in the manual. The reason the ESC manufactures put in the error codes is so that people can diagnose their own problems rather than calling them all day every day.

I bet they are closed until Monday for Thanksgiving. They have great customer service, they typically have returned my emails within a couple hours.

You may want to have the hobbyshop call them, they may have more pull with Tekin than Joe Blow with a crawler has.

I know that if I ran a hobbyshop that i wouldnt let anyone use my computer without having them acknowledge that I am not responsible for them screwing up their stuff.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #9

This has happend to me before, What i did was do the radio calibration as it explains in the setup manual that comes with esc,if u dont have this u can go to their web site for info! hope this helps.
tcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I will contact them and what you said about the code makes sense that is just what another hobby shop said. Our local shop is a very small shop with a very large indoor crawler course , you might check them out they have several photos. get a hobby is the name. What you said about the possible disconnect makes some sense, we did have some trouble maintaining the connection . I was working with the owner and they were being nice enough to do it for me. They did nothing wrong , let me make that very clear. I am sure that tekin will resolve the issue one way or the other. I was hoping that someone on the forum would have had this issue before and head me off in the correct direction.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:44 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrawler View Post
This has happend to me before, What i did was do the radio calibration as it explains in the setup manual that comes with esc,if u dont have this u can go to their web site for info! hope this helps.
Thanks but that did not help either, the mode button does not change anything, nothing seems to be active except the dim leds.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

i am with tcrawler on this seems as though from redoing the firmware it has put everything back to default so try to recalibrate it ....i had simular probs with mine and i recald it and now works fine for the most part occasionaly i have to recal one of the two fxr's.....one i bought brand new and never had issues, with the other that i put in my mantis chassis when i got it all together was used and that is the one that falls out cal every now and then

give it a try ...nothing ventured nothing gained
scorpion_ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:53 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I should of mentioned this too. one of my fxr's was dim today aswell and after about a minute plugged in it found signal and chimed in and fired up and works ....this is the used one i have occasional problems with......

so yours stays dim and does not eventually fire up ....try to recalibrate it i will be doing that in the morning before our club comp
scorpion_ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Smile

[QUOTE=SMR 510RR;3401539]Sounds to me like the FXR disconnected from the Hotwire during the firmware update and now the firmware is incomplete. That would probably lead to random action of the LED's, there is no reason that there would be a code that "isnt talked about" and isnt in the manual. The reason the ESC manufactures put in the error codes is so that people can diagnose their own problems rather than calling them all day every day.

I think you got it , I talked to tekin today via online help and they think that the unit lost connection during the download. That would have been my fault due to hooking back up the red wire link bad and it prob. lost conn. that way. I will send it in.

And to the person who called Get a Hobby to try and help me, thanks but I can deal with it myself. I consider them friends and this in noway reflects their customer care or service ability.

I am sure that Tekin will take care of this unit it is only 5 months old. Thanks all for the input.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Hey BuggyBoy, it sounds like you are making progress. Hope you get it resolved, whether for free or little money.
Either way, keep us posted in this thread, you never know, someone else may have the same issue at some point.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Tekins support is great, I doubt it will cost you anything except shipping.

I bet the only problem is that they will have to reload the firmware, they probably have a way to do that without much trouble.

In the future rather than reconnecting the red wire in the servo plug you can plug the battery in, I have done this before and it works fine.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Tekins support is great, I doubt it will cost you anything except shipping.

I bet the only problem is that they will have to reload the firmware, they probably have a way to do that without much trouble.

In the future rather than reconnecting the red wire in the servo plug you can plug the battery in, I have done this before and it works fine.
I will try that, in the mean time I ordered another fxr so I will not be out of the comp for very long, my lhs GET A HOBBY said if they send me back a new one they will credit me, but I do not mind having a xtra one either. Just might have to build something if it is just laying around.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Hey BuggyBoy, it sounds like you are making progress. Hope you get it resolved, whether for free or little money.
Either way, keep us posted in this thread, you never know, someone else may have the same issue at some point.
Will do, when we find out the fix and how the support went I will post it up. Thanks
Old 11-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

ya tech support is always a good thing if you are stumped sometimes they can walk you through a process over the phone
89lxmorepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

A little update, my local hobby shop GET A HOBBY in NEVADA CITY CA sent the tekin in for me , Thanks Lacey. Tekin called me yesterday morning and said they had just got it in , I had for got to email them the receipt, that happens when someone else does the work for me , I get lazy and then I do not follow through. ( there are some of my political beliefs buried in that statement .) Anyway I emailed them the receipt and this afternoon I got a conformation from tekin that it had shipped out today. I really would like this to be taken care of faster but hey I guess 1 day is not to bad I guess. I do not have it back in my hands yet but THANKS TO LACEY AT GET A HOBBY AND TO TEKIN FOR MAKING THIS WORK SO FAST FOR ME. Now if I could only get my motor after 2 months from holmes. Did I just say that out loud.