Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mamba Max HELP!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 03:03 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Mamba Max HELP!!

Just bought a new mamba max, I am running a novak ballistic 18.5 motor, I do the setup but the yellow light stays flashing. In the instructions it says change the throttle trim I have done this full on both ways with no success. I can't figure out what the problem is it runs really glitchy in my wraith and I re-paired my 4pl with the receiver and even tried the receiver off my 1.9 which does work fine. I did reverse the throttle profile like the instructions say to. Anyone have any other ideas please help!!

Thanks!
kliff_klimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Is it setup for brushless mode? check your settings.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Do you mean Mamba Max Pro? The mamba max is a sensor-less brushless esc and the ballistic motors are sensor motors only. You would have to run a mamba max pro to make that motor run correctly.
BladeMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr10utah801 View Post
Just bought a new mamba max, I am running a novak ballistic 18.5 motor, I do the setup but the yellow light stays flashing. In the instructions it says change the throttle trim I have done this full on both ways with no success. I can't figure out what the problem is it runs really glitchy in my wraith and I re-paired my 4pl with the receiver and even tried the receiver off my 1.9 which does work fine. I did reverse the throttle profile like the instructions say to. Anyone have any other ideas please help!!

Thanks!
When do you see the flashing yellow??
If it's when trying forward or reverse, the ESC is not seeing neutral.
-Set throttle trim to "0" (including subtrims), set throttle EPA's to 100%, you "may" need to open up the throttle deadband a bit.

Read near the bottom here... Castle Creations | FAQ: 1/10th Scale Products
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

you sure its not a mamba max pro since u r using a sensored motor (can run it sensorless but its not very good to crawl), because if its a pro version the flashing yellow means cheat mode is off so thats fine
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

If its the newer MMP he should be able to run the sersored motor fine with the sensored connector plus the program card , he should have no problem. Now if he is on the older Mamba max then running a sensored motor , you will not be able to get the max out of the combo u working with.!
17dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Default mamba

sorry guys it is a pro and its happens after I do the throttle setup. It will do forward and reverse but it very glitchy almost like it is getting interference.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
sorry guys it is a pro and its happens after I do the throttle setup. It will do forward and reverse but it very glitchy almost like it is getting interference.
What radio?
Is the BEC direct to the servo or through the RX?

In general, I have seen that the Spektrum radios want the external BEC black wire run to the RX along with the servo signal wire (white or yellow)(if you run the BEC direct to the servo). This reduces radio glitching.

Let us know, but you may have your answer.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Default radio

I run a 4pl futaba and my bec is setup like it is in the castle wiring diagram, I unplugged the middle wire of the speed control like it says too. I can't think of what else could be affecting my truck like this! I adjusted the throttle trim for ward and back all the way.

Thanks for the responses!

Old 11-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

OK, so you have calibrated the ESC to the RX, you have a flashing yellow LED, is this when the rig is sitting there, when you try forward or reverse, or all the time??

If it's just sitting there, the manual states it's in neutral and cheat mode is off.

Quoted: Flashing Yellow = possible problem with controller (Mamba Max Pro indicates neutral and armed with C.H.E.A.T. turn off)

When you say "glitchy", is this an inconsistent operation, or the movement is not the same as the throttle input (like you give a tiny bit of throttle but the rig jumps to 1/2 speed quickly)?

Do you have or have access to a Castle Link?

Old 11-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Default Problem

Yes it's flashing yellow at neutral it does say its normal with cheat turned off. But when I give it throttle slowly it jumps uncontrollably it's almost like the motor is struggling to work I tried a different motor with the same result. I will have my castle link tomorrow hopefully!
Old 11-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

The 18.5 novak crawler motors have a sensor board thats setup to work with their esc's only, not sure how or why though. The 17.5's have regular sensor boards. And yes the boards can be switched out. The advantage nod goes to the 18.5 for larger rotor/more torque

Edit: just read you tried a different motor.. maybe try a new sensor cable
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:52 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Default ?

Well I went through all the setting for like the 15th time and now it is working I don't know maybe it was something to do with the drag brake not being on but now it works I appreciate all your help hopefully its smooth from here on out!!

Thanks Again
Old 11-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well I went through all the setting for like the 15th time and now it is working I don't know maybe it was something to do with the drag brake not being on but now it works I appreciate all your help hopefully its smooth from here on out!!

Thanks Again
Sounds great. When you get the Castle Link, go back into the ESC and save a copy of the settings & throttle/brake curves, put them somewhere on your PC where you can find them again.
This way, if you do a firmware update, change things (and you're not happy), get another ESC, run a dual ESC set-up, etc., you can download the saved settings!

I did this for a dual MM set-up. Made sure both ESC's had the same version firmware, then set up one ESC, copied the settings and loaded into the 2nd ESC.
Lots easier than doing the same for dual FX-R's.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:09 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Sounds great. When you get the Castle Link, go back into the ESC and save a copy of the settings & throttle/brake curves, put them somewhere on your PC where you can find them again.
This way, if you do a firmware update, change things (and you're not happy), get another ESC, run a dual ESC set-up, etc., you can download the saved settings!

I did this for a dual MM set-up. Made sure both ESC's had the same version firmware, then set up one ESC, copied the settings and loaded into the 2nd ESC.
Lots easier than doing the same for dual FX-R's.

I wish the tekin software was as good as castle's, my dual fxr on my beetle juice is decent but not great!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:41 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kliff_klimber View Post
I wish the Tekin software was as good as Castle's, my dual FX-R on my beetle juice is decent but not great!
I agree, when I did the dual FX-R's, I did a screen shot of the settings in one ESC, then looked at that when I set up the 2nd ESC. I saved the screen shot as a ".PNG" for use later on.