RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   XR-10 beginners problems (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/350727-xr-10-beginners-problems.html)

mcmalta 11-28-2011 11:24 AM

XR-10 beginners problems

Hi everybody, I am new to all this RC rock crawling so please be patient with me.
I bought the XR-10 kit and I am very pleased with it but I am having a few problems, apart from being a one arm person and it took me ages to put the kit together. I have;
Venom fireball 55t motors (2),
Axial AE-2 ESC,
Axial steering servo,
Unbranded 5a BEC.
Problems:
1) I calibrated the ESC up to a 2ch Futaba set, but it shows red LED on when running forward and if I switch channel to reverse it does not calibrate to set.
2) Cannot set ESC to new tranmitter (2). Can I reset ESC in anyway. It seems like it keeps setup from first calibration, to transmitter (1).
3) Not enough steering turn strength. Don't know if the Axial servo is good enough or not or the BEC I'm using.

I thank you in advance and wish everybody 'happy crawling'!
Regards MC.

JeremyH 11-28-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmalta (Post 3404281)
1) I calibrated the ESC up to a 2ch Futaba set, but it shows red LED on when running forward and if I switch channel to reverse it does not calibrate to set.
2) Cannot set ESC to new tranmitter (2). Can I reset ESC in anyway. It seems like it keeps setup from first calibration, to transmitter (1).
3) Not enough steering turn strength. Don't know if the Axial servo is good enough or not or the BEC I'm using.

Wow....first of all, I commend you on building that kit using only one arm! "thumbsup"

Second, here are my suggestions:
1) you can reverse the polarity/wires at your motors and then flip the channel and it will show green
2) which new transmitter are you using? The settings on the new one are likely different than the old transmitter.
3) Yeah, that ESC is probably weak. One with a minimum of 300oz-in of torque will put a smile on your face.

mcmalta 11-28-2011 12:11 PM

Hi JeremyH, I thank you for helping me out and your encouraging words.
I will try reversing wires and switch, on transmitter later on and see how it goes.
My other transmitter is a Sanwa, so it is different. Will that means I can only set my ESC to one transmitter? Can I reset it in any way? I am trying to use this transmitter as it is a 6ch and would like to expewriment more with my kit.
I think you mean my Axial servo is weak, right? What do you suggest, that doesn't cost a bomb but up to the job?
Regards MC.

SMR 510RR 11-28-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmalta (Post 3404354)
Hi JeremyH, I thank you for helping me out and your encouraging words.
I will try reversing wires and switch, on transmitter later on and see how it goes.
My other transmitter is a Sanwa, so it is different. Will that means I can only set my ESC to one transmitter? Can I reset it in any way? I am trying to use this transmitter as it is a 6ch and would like to expewriment more with my kit.
I think you mean my Axial servo is weak, right? What do you suggest, that doesn't cost a bomb but up to the job?
Regards MC.

Not sure what you mean by "reset it in any way" there should be no reason to reset it. All you need do do when you switch to new radio gear is recalibrate the ESC.

The axial servo is not meant to be on a competition rig...Most use Hitec HS-7950th servos, while they are expensive they have a ton of power and will last for a long time.

JeremyH 11-28-2011 12:20 PM

These servos are fairly inexpensive (compared to other servos of equal specs) and I have had good results from them in the past:
TowerHobbies.com | HCAM0316 Hobbico CS-170 Std Digital Ultra Torq 2BB TG Servo U

You can set your ESC to multiple transmitters, however, the settings will be different from each other. A twin stick radio will certainly give you more control over one of these trucks. "thumbsup"

mcmalta 11-28-2011 12:43 PM

The Axial ESC calibrated to my first transmitter with no problem. Now I am trying to calibrate it to another transmitter that I have and it doesn't seem to want to calibrate. I hold full throttle then switch ESC on but it just won't calibrate. I tried reversing channel switch, trim to '0', the lot. As I rig it to my first transmitter it works ok, straight away. I am assuming that I need to reset the ESC to take second transmitter setting/calibration or does it calibrate to different transmitter one after the other automatically. Hope I have explained myself better this time. MC.

Charlie-III 11-28-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmalta (Post 3404427)
The Axial ESC calibrated to my first transmitter with no problem. Now I am trying to calibrate it to another transmitter that I have and it doesn't seem to want to calibrate. I hold full throttle then switch ESC on but it just won't calibrate. I tried reversing channel switch, trim to '0', the lot. As I rig it to my first transmitter it works OK, straight away. I am assuming that I need to reset the ESC to take second transmitter setting/calibration or does it calibrate to different transmitter one after the other automatically. Hope I have explained myself better this time. MC.

You explained fine.8)

So, when you try & recalibrate the ESC to the other radio, you state you set the TX throttle trim to "0", are there any throttle subtrims, if so they also have to be set to "0".
Then make sure the TX throttle EPA's are set to 100%.
Sometimes you have to open up the TX throttle dead-band a bit for the ESC to see things correctly during the calibration.

To answer your question, yes, you can run a ESC on as many different radios that you own, but only one at a time. To switch radios, just recalibrate the ESC to the new radio.

As to servos, a HiTec 7955 would be a minimum servo in terms of torque, a 7950 is better.

For 10th scalers/fun running, around 200inoz is about a minimum torque, for the same rigs used in comps, 300inoz+ is better.
At this point, a 10A external BEC becomes needed.

Oh, and congratulations on doing a one handed build of the kit, some people have issues using both hands.:roll:

mcmalta 11-29-2011 05:13 AM

Hi, I think you hit the nail on the head, I never bothered to try another throttle channel before and now that I have tried, the ESC worked fine. Obviously, I must look for that particular channel, sub-trim.
I will have to wait for awhile and then look for a decent servo but money is low at the moment :(
I thank you all for a good helping hand you gave, I need it lol. Get it, I only have one hand! :)
This is a great site and I spend hours browsing, I really enjoy it. A bit of everything in here.

Regards to all, and happy crawling.
MC.

ohh EPiC FAiL 11-29-2011 06:02 AM

yeah that servo definitely won't cut it. another option is a savox 1256. it runs about $80 brand new, and you can find them for about $50 used. it's what i have in my XR10 and it works great 99% of the time. you also should get either the axial or BWD high leverage steering arm, that will GREATLY improve your steering with any servo.

Charlie-III 11-29-2011 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmalta (Post 3405844)
I thank you all for a good helping hand you gave, I need it lol. Get it, I only have one hand! :)
This is a great site and I spend hours browsing, I really enjoy it. A bit of everything in here.

Regards to all, and happy crawling.
MC.

Glad you're making progress on resolving the issue, feel free to ask questions as they come up (after you search for similar issues.)8)

mcmalta 11-29-2011 11:04 AM

I have finally had the ESC working, ah! The main problem was that the Sanwa transmitter had a lever restriction, piece of plastic to stop it from going full forward - don't ask me why. I took it off and magic, all works. I also had to reset the sub-trims for better control as I have tempered with those before, on my submarine kit.
Today, I also received the 'Castle field link' so I set a few things there too as the brake was not on. All this through the PC, as the card is not working on it's own. All the LED's flash alternately. I looked it up and it says that the ESC needs new firmware but I did update the firmware. Well I will contact 'Castle Creations' on that and see what they say.

I'm sorry if this thread was up already but I had a look and could not find an answer to my problem and I cannot do a good search on this site yet so I apologise for that.
Thanks again guys, MC.