Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: up in smoke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default up in smoke

One of my tekin FXR's went up in smoke after about 45 mins of play time. I have been using my xr10 for about week with no issuses. Was up on some rocks when it started to act funny by jumping forward and kinda glitching. So pulled the battery (3s 1300mah 25c) checked the power seen it was low. Put a new one on with full charge and esc goes up in smoke and toasts the battery aswell. Have used both battery's before with no issuses but this was the first time I had run the rig for more the 20-30 mins. I can't find anything that shorted out and like I said have it used it several times before with no electrical issuses.
Anyone know why this happened? Did it fry my other fxr aswell?

I don't want to go buy another and have this happen again. Or do you reccommend going to a different esc?

Any help would be very much appreciated!!!

XR10
dual fxrs
cc bec
futuba 4pl
45t rockstars
Hitech 7954
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

1-I wonder if the ESC was getting too hot due to runtime?
2-I see no issues with your pack of choice (I would like to see a bit higher "C" rating)
3-Are either axle binding now?
4-No clue if the other FX-R toasted....power up & check.
5-Did the motor get real hot?
6-Is the LiPO cutoff set for 3S??? The ESC should stop before getting the pack too low.
7-Did the rig/ESC get wet?

I usually run dual Mamba Max ESC's, but one died recently (I ran it almost a year & it was used when I got it). I switched to dual FX-R's on a 2.2 Bully MOA. I usually run 3S 1350 45C LiPO packs.

No issues thus far, the FX-R's are considered a decent ESC to use.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
1-I wonder if the ESC was getting too hot due to runtime?
2-I see no issues with your pack of choice (I would like to see a bit higher "C" rating)
3-Are either axle binding now?
4-No clue if the other FX-R toasted....power up & check.
5-Did the motor get real hot?
6-Is the LiPO cutoff set for 3S??? The ESC should stop before getting the pack too low.
7-Did the rig/ESC get wet?

I usually run dual Mamba Max ESC's, but one died recently (I ran it almost a year & it was used when I got it). I switched to dual FX-R's on a 2.2 Bully MOA. I usually run 3S 1350 45C LiPO packs.

No issues thus far, the FX-R's are considered a decent ESC to use.
The battery's I choose were fairly cheap ( thank god)
No the motors were not hot at all and the rig has never been wet.
Neither axle was bound. It went into lipo cutoff I assume thats why it was jerking and loosing power. Pulled the battery and check power level and it was dead. Esc is set for 3s via hotwire. Grabbed same battery type but charged and plugged it in put it on the ground and smoke, quickly unplugged and the battery had expanded and leaking, the esc was smoking and hot. Battery wire when i unplugged the first one was not noticably warm or hot. But the second battery very hot. I have used both batteries before with no issuses. The run time must have something to do with it.

I know size is an issuse with the xr10 but can I run dual HH BR-XL's instead of the fxrs? They are basically the same price. If I have to buy 2 new ones that is.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Did your FXR have a cap?
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
Did your FXR have a cap?
Yes a cap on both. It does not appear to be damaged from a visual inspection.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth View Post
I know size is an issuse with the xr10 but can I run dual HH BR-XL's instead of the fxrs? They are basically the same price. If I have to buy 2 new ones that is.
It may be a tight fit (look up the BRXL to get dimensions...) but other than that, no reason you couldn't run dual BRXL's.

Since dual FX-R's worked, dual anything would likely work.

Stupid question, the 2nd pack wasn't reverse wired, was it??
Old 12-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Nope, I had used both packs previously with no issuses. This is why I am completely lost to what has happened. This is my first crawler and this has really put a damper on me wanting to spend anymore money on this hobbie as 15-20 mins play time just is not gonna cut it for the amount of money i have dumped into this rig. I bought everything listed bnib and haven't cheaped out anywhere. Have the vanquish motor and trans case, upgraded gears, stage 3 axial links, if my wife knew I have dumped this much into it and haven't even had a day of fun with it she would flip!!!

I just do not want to shell out another $120 (hopefully only 1 needs replacing) on another esc and have some stupid crap like this happen. I am really kicking myself for not just getting an ax10 as in my group of crawlers I am the only xr10 and i'm the only one having issuses... The ax10 seems more reliableand way less issuses!!!
Old 12-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
It may be a tight fit (look up the BRXL to get dimensions...) but other than that, no reason you couldn't run dual BRXL's.

Since dual FX-R's worked, dual anything would likely work.

Stupid question, the 2nd pack wasn't reverse wired, was it??
x2...Did you somehow plug it in backwards?
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
x2...Did you somehow plug it in backwards?
Well I have deans on them so would be kinda hard to plug in backwards. And I have used both packs before this happened with no problems...
Old 12-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

OK, to add some levity to this sad thread, I say, "Cheech & Chong!"

mammoth, sorry to hear your issues, I'm really not picking on you, "Fecal material occurs" at times.

We just had to ask the "stupid questions" because you never know on the Internet.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

that sounds more like a bad pack then a bad esc...
OntarioCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioCrawler View Post
that sounds more like a bad pack then a bad esc...
Now there is something that makes sense. I have never heard of a bad pack before. I had only used it once prior to this happening for a very short time then recharged it. I balance everytime I charge so I know the cell voltage was correct.

How would you tell if it was a bad pack? Other then letting it blow your $#@* up.

On the bright side 1 of the esc's is fine the other one that smoked i'm too scared to try and power it up with a lipo. It did however plug it into hotwire with no issues. Should I try and power it up?