Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Stupid ??? Lol but have to ask!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Stupid ??? Lol but have to ask!!

I was wondering if i can run two motors off one esc even tho it isnt a dual motor esc? I was wanting to run 2 motors off a castle creations sc system! Any help is greatly appreciated! thanks
DustyfX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Yes, but..........

You need to stay within the "turn limits" for the ESC and you need other bits if you want a dig in the rig.

A single ESC feeding a servo dig/Punk dig can feed 2 motors and give front/rear dig. You also need to see if your 3+ channel supports this.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default reply

by turn limits you mean if the esc only supports a 7 turn motor and i want to run 2 13.5 turn motors it wont or what! Im a lil confused! and also im running it on a t-maxx that i converted over to electric! so its only running the motors and the steering servo!
Old 12-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Sorta, the turn limits are not really linear.
What I mean is, if the ESC has a single motor 12T limit you will still likely have issues if you run 2 24T motors.
The issue is mostly you overload the FET's (power bits in the ESC) and they, "Let out the magic smoke" and it quits working. It will run those motors, the big question is for how long.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

yes you can run 2 motors but if its rated to a 7t you should be fine with 2 14t+ motors. i know the sidewinder v2 and sct can handle more than the sidewinder v1 but it was only rated to 19t brushed so i wouldnt try anything lower than say 2 20t motors on it and check the temp
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

are you talking about running two brushless motors off one ESC or two brushed? i wouldn't attempt to run two brushless motors off one ESC. if you are going to run two brushed motors off one ESC on an MOA rig, just be prepared for clod stall.
ohh EPiC FAiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyfX4 View Post
by turn limits you mean if the esc only supports a 7 turn motor and i want to run 2 13.5 turn motors it wont or what! Im a lil confused! and also im running it on a t-maxx that i converted over to electric! so its only running the motors and the steering servo!
It looks like you're talking brushless motors here, and from what I know, it won't work, even if you go the highest turn, lowest amp draw possible motors.
The ESC needs to receive feedback from the brushless motor, be it back voltage on a sensorless motor or rotor position from a sensored motor in order to know that it is firing correctly and that the motor isn't stalled.
If you try brushless motors, I think in the end you will end up with two destroyed motors and one destroyed esc.
majatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for the input! I just went out and ran it with one brushless motor and it was ridiculously fast so ill leave it how it is lol! Thanks again for saving me 2 motors and an esc! lol