Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: one esc - two motors wiring question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default one esc - two motors wiring question

I have searched a bunch and the consensus seems to be that you should run the wires from the ESC to the rear motor first and them from the rear motor to the front motor.

For my wiring - it would be easier to run the wires from the ESC to the front motor first.

Anyone know exactly why everyone recommends running from ESC to rear.

What would be the difference running from ESC to front motor??
bbking9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

the reason why some say to run to the rear motor first is they believe it will help minimize the clod stall since there is technically less electrical resistance to get to the rear motor giving it more power and it gets it first. i usually make a y splitter and run wires to both front and rear. i have wired my old clod super from rear to front, front to rear and the splitter and couldnt notice any difference between them. i would run it however is esiest for you.
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
Proverbial threadkiller

Makes absolutely zero difference. If you're running your motors in series, the electrons have to go through both motors anyway, so front or back, does not matter. If you're running your motors in parallel, it makes even less difference, as electricity takes the path of least resistance, so whichever motor has a lower resistance is where the electrons will go.
But so long as you use the same wire from the ESC to the front motor as you use to the back motor, you'll be fine.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for your input. Front it is first.

I am a little confused. Parallel vs Serial. Im guessing parallel is the way I wanna go. I have XR10 with one FXR - 2 Holmes 35t Expert machine wound motors, 14T on front 13T on rear. May eventually go dig or add second fxr - but for now - no.

So I plan to run esc + to Front motor +
esc - to front motor -

front motor + to rear motor -
front motor - to rear motor +

Does this sound right? so is this parallel or serial?

Too much searching and reading and too many vague descriptions.

Trubble, when you say run the same wire all around - you mean physically - same brand - same gauge - right?

Last edited by bbking9; 12-06-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbking9 View Post
Thanks for your input. Front it is first.

I am a little confused. Parallel vs Serial. Im guessing parallel is the way I wanna go. I have XR10 with one FXR - 2 Holmes 35t Expert machine wound motors, 14T on front 13T on rear. May eventually go dig or add second fxr - but for now - no.

So I plan to run esc + to Front motor +
esc - to front motor -

front motor + to rear motor -
front motor - to rear motor +

Does this sound right? so is this parallel or serial?

Too much searching and reading and too many vague descriptions.

Trubble, when you say run the same wire all around - you mean physically - same brand - same gauge - right?
The wiring you described is parallel wiring of the motors and is the correct way to do it. Wiring the motors in series will not work so I will not even go into detail on that.

One tooth bigger on the front increases the load on the front motor and helps equalize current flow when climbing because the rear motor sees more load from the weight transfer. If you don't run independent throttle control it is the best way to equalize things.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

thanks grizzly - love to see someone with 11,000+ posts confirm your thinking.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
thanks grizzly - love to see someone with 11,000+ posts confirm your thinking.
No problem, that's how did it back in the old days on the Clods and it still works well today.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The biggest issue with a "series" connection, is that if one motor has an issue (bad brush, bad connection) is that both motors quit. Think Christmas lights (seeing as it is that time of year.....)
A parallel connection means whatever motor has power will work.

Frankly, I would look to a servo/punk dig or run dual ESC's with a decent 4 channel radio or a 3 channel radio with a WantAmix.......
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I would just run both motors directly to the esc...

The extra wiring will get in the way and be a PITA, why you would do it that way I have no idea.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

SMR, in all my searches - I never saw that as an option. It ran through my head that that would be the way to go. BUT I already am all wired up.

Thanks
Old 12-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
PapaGriz Yo

No, the biggest issue with a series connection is that when you try to drive on the rocks the rear motor will stall and all the current goes straight through it and only the front motor turns. Or vise vera. Try it sometime.

IF the ESC is in the middle of the chassis it would make more sense to split the wires to the front and rear. If the ESC is in the front maybe it's easier to go to the front motor first. Really it doesn't matter.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:33 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

eh - not totally happy with the wiring. gonna run wires from esc to front motor and from esc to rear motor. on the front i ran esc + to motor + and esc - to motor -

now that i am running the rear motor direct to esc - do i still want to reverse the + and -. so esc + to motor - and esc - to motor +.

thanks
Old 12-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #13
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Correct.

I understand the drawbacks of series motor wiring as has been discussed above, so I'd have to agree and not reccomend it in this application. My experience with twin motor wiring thus far has been in a Great Plains 'Stinger' (boat). The motors in that were in-line and connected by a coupler, so weeds around a prop stopped both motors anyway, in that application I had the freedom to change it if I so desired. Even my eMaxx and the wife's eRevo run both motors on the same spur gear, so while I could change those, I find them to perform just fine in their stock configuration. But in your case, where the motors are not locked together mechanically, I also think parallel would be the way to go here.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #14
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
now that i am running the rear motor direct to esc - do i still want to reverse the + and -. so esc + to motor - and esc - to motor +.
Yes. You're swapping polarity so all four wheels go in the same direction? Then yes, keep it reversed.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #15
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:

thanks
Correct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
I understand the drawbacks of series motor wiring as has been discussed above, so I'd have to agree and not reccomend it in this application. My experience with twin motor wiring thus far has been in a Great Plains 'Stinger' (boat). The motors in that were in-line and connected by a coupler, so weeds around a prop stopped both motors anyway, in that application I had the freedom to change it if I so desired. Even my eMaxx and the wife's eRevo run both motors on the same spur gear, so while I could change those, I find them to perform just fine in their stock configuration. But in your case, where the motors are not locked together mechanically, I also think parallel would be the way to go here.
Correct. If both motors are mechanically locked together, such as driving the same spur gear, then series wiring works fine.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I have searched a bunch and the consensus seems to be that you should run the wires from the ESC to the rear motor first and them from the rear motor to the front motor.

For my wiring - it would be easier to run the wires from the ESC to the front motor first.

A wire is a wire. As long its electrically the same. I would think making a "Y" about 5 inches from the speed controller would be easiest.
gm0688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

It's been said to run wires from esc to rear motor then from rear to front motor unless running dig, i never saw any progress in my MOA by doing so i would just run separate wiring to each motor and "Y" it to the esc wherever its convenient. As far as stall goes upgrade to motors with more torque and pinion up front with a couple or an extra tooth and it should cure the problem!
Macmanthizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Re did the wiring running wires from each motor to ESC and it really cleaned up the wiring which i have to say looks pretty slick. Virtually all the wires are sheathed and the ends heat shrunk (is that a word). No tie wraps. but with only one ESC it is real easy. If I go to 2 FXRs a little more wiring will be involved.

Im running Holmes 35t Expert Machine motors - so while not hand wound. I believe they will be "good enough" for me to start. 14T pinion on front 13T on rear.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #19

Default Re: one esc - two motors wiring question

Quote:

I`m running my axial xr10 on 1 fxr esc and i paralleled the motors with this
"http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVPROFIL=++&FVSEARCH=%3Cb%3Edeans%3C%2Fb%3E+%3Cb%3Ep%3C%2Fb%3E arallel "

eliminates the need for extra wiring ,very small and compact so far it works great .
Rock_Diggn_Don is offline   Reply With Quote