RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Replacement cutting tool for my lathe? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/352408-replacement-cutting-tool-my-lathe.html)

shelljeep 12-06-2011 08:20 PM

Replacement cutting tool for my lathe?

I have a used Hudy Tech lathe that I suspect needs a new cutting tool duE to the finish it leaves.
There's a Hudy diamond tipped replacement available but I'm not paying $170 for it. And I can't find their $15 carbide tip cutter in stock anywhere either. That sounds a bit cheap anyway but what do I know?
Ideally I'd like a quality cutting tool for somewhere in the low-middle of that range. What you guys that cut your comms like to use?
Thanks, Shell

AreCee 12-06-2011 08:37 PM

Check out McMaster-Carr they have good quality carbide cutting bits at very reasonable prices.

shelljeep 12-06-2011 08:37 PM

And wth do I call them when searching on Graiger or mcmaster Carr?
There are literally hundreds of lathe cutting tools listed within the $50-$100 range(need to stay closer to $50).
Which attributes am I looking for such as rake, angle, cutting type etc?

shelljeep 12-06-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AreCee (Post 3422277)
Check out McMaster-Carr they have good quality carbide cutting bits at very reasonable prices.

Thanks! I was headed there while you typed that. I still don't know enough to pick out which one. Any advice on rake, angle, degree, etc?

AreCee 12-06-2011 08:43 PM

To honest it's been about ten years or so since I bought several and I really don't remember but I had to search for them too and managed to find them. BTW the ones I bought that fit the hobby size lathes only cost $5 to $10 ea.

The McMaster-Carr site seems daunting at first but measure your bits and use that as a guide, the catalog will walk you through the angle, direction and so forth.

Patience is a virtue.

shelljeep 12-06-2011 08:58 PM

Cool, thanks. I'm struggling through Grainger's right now since I have a local. I will go to MCarr next to see if it's easier to navigate.
I may need to back up and hit wikipedia."thumbsup"

shelljeep 12-06-2011 09:07 PM

For later lookers, here's where I'm at:
McMaster-Carr

AreCee is right, Mcarr is much more informative than Grainger's site. I should be able to figure out which one I need here in a few minutes. Will post back then.

shelljeep 12-06-2011 09:18 PM

Right to left is figured from looking down the cutter from the rear, correct?

Charlie-III 12-07-2011 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelljeep (Post 3422390)
Right to left is figured from looking down the cutter from the rear, correct?

Yes, as shown here (the ones with a start next to them....) McMaster-Carr

Keep in mind, most comm lathes have the bit "upside down" when properly mounted, thus you are looking for a left to right bit.
Double check, think about it.8)

JeremyH 12-07-2011 07:13 AM

Here you go Shell:

McMaster-Carr

shelljeep 12-07-2011 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie-III (Post 3422524)
Yes, as shown here (the ones with a start next to them....) McMaster-Carr

Keep in mind, most comm lathes have the bit "upside down" when properly mounted, thus you are looking for a left to right bit.
Double check, think about it.8)

Good call on the upside down part. I hadn't thought of that yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyH (Post 3422803)
Here you go Shell:

McMaster-Carr

Thanks J. I am looking at the single point carbide bits and the single point diamond tip bits. Will post up a couple different styles to get opinions in a moment.

JeremyH 12-07-2011 07:24 AM

If I remember correctly, I got the GR style for mine....

AreCee 12-07-2011 07:25 AM

There you go.

I haven't been on their site in a long time and it's much better than I remember.

shelljeep 12-07-2011 07:29 AM

McMaster-Carr
OK, on this page, should I go with style A or style C?
Left hand is what I need, and C2 is the correct grade of material.

McMaster-Carr
On this page which shows the diamond tip bits, my only option looks to be the style A left hand bit, which looks more like mine anyway. So maybe Style C isn't what I need at all.

I know these cutters can do more then one operation, I guess what I need to know now is what Style is best suited for facing.

Thanks for all the help.

JeremyH 12-07-2011 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelljeep (Post 3422839)
mcmaster-carr
ok, on this page, should i go with style a or style c?
Left hand is what i need, and c2 is the correct grade of material.

a...

shelljeep 12-07-2011 02:22 PM

Thnks J

Charlie-III 12-07-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelljeep (Post 3422819)
Good call on the upside down part. I hadn't thought of that yet.

I'm good for something, my family and I are still trying to figure out what it is though......:roll::roll::shock:

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Manning 12-07-2011 05:48 PM

These work surprisingly well.

5 Piece Indexable Carbide Tool Set

shelljeep 12-07-2011 08:11 PM

Thanks Manning, good to know that in a pinch. I'm headed to a local supply house tomorrow to pick up a replacement on the quick. leaning towards the diamond bit that Mcarr has for $70 after that.
McMaster-Carr

Big thanks to all you guys!"thumbsup"