Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hobbywing Justock drag brakes poor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #1

Default Hobbywing Justock drag brakes poor?

Hi all!

New to the crawler/scale scene,

I built a SCX10 and installed a sensored Hobbywing brushless 21.5T with Justock ESC.

I was attracted to the sensored brushless because I wanted to avoir cogging and I intend on doing some very slow crawling so it suited me fine.

Well, it does go VERY slow indeed but the problem is with drag brakes.

first, when climbing, it will back off about 1 or 2 inches before the drag brakes kick in, in some situations, I can already see this being a problem.

When going downhill, the problem is doubled because of momentum (normal I guess but if the ESC had a stronger hold, you could ease your way down, now as soon as I give it the slightest throttle, it barrels down)...

So, I'd love to keep the motor, but I think this ESC is just not what I need... I will be running this with 3s lipo. All ESC i keep reading about either don't take sensored motors, or don't take 3s or don't take motors from other vendors...

Anyone has a solution? At this point, I know i'm going to have to buy something else, but i'm sure it's not the motor so if I could get away with just buying a better sensored ESC, i'd be happy...

Thanks!
Aramis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

MMP should work fine with any sensored motor that uses a standard sensor wire. Its fully programmable using the castle link (or most settings using the pit tune mode).
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:03 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
MMP should work fine with any sensored motor that uses a standard sensor wire. Its fully programmable using the castle link (or most settings using the pit tune mode).
+1, this should work fine for your use. Get a Casle Link as well, helps do the programming. The CC link can also program CC BEC's.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:20 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

yep , MMP drag brake set on 213% will do front flips from any decent speed , AWESOME power.
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:28 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

You get what you pay for EH....I 've been running the MMP in the Wraith with
Absolutely no issues....Drag brake works good set at 213%?...also runs cool.
jeepster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:38 AM   #6

Thanks guys,

Just to be sure, we're talking about the Mamba Max Pro from Castle Creation right?

I was looking at it before posting this, what got me confused is the fact that the manual I found (driver's ed) seems to tell you that the drag brakes only go to 40%. That seemed odd but I didn't want to risk buying yet another product not for me...

If we're really talking about the same ESC, it seems to be out of stock, any place still have it?
Old 12-08-2011, 06:41 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Yes its the Mamba Max Pro . You do need the castle link to set your drag and use the CHEAT mode etc. check ebay if you cant find one at your LHS , usually around $105 + post
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
RCC Addict

In stock and on sale
Castle Creations 1/10 Mamba Max Pro ESC Smart Sense
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

If you have the program card for the Justock, you can adjust it from default (10%, I believe) up to the max of 100%. I didn't read your mentioning of trying that, so I thought it might be worth a try rather than spending more money.
majatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #10

I agree, you have to use the programmer. I use several HW speed controllers and they all can be programmed with the same card. I have a Justock but it is in my XXXSCT, my 3 crawlers all have the 35A sensorless set ups and work just fine but they had to be programmed.
fishonron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by majatra View Post
If you have the program card for the Justock, you can adjust it from default (10%, I believe) up to the max of 100%. I didn't read your mentioning of trying that, so I thought it might be worth a try rather than spending more money.

I did use the program card to set it to 100%

The problem seems to be that there's a delay between letting go of the throttle and when the drag brakes kick in, letting the truck back off (sometimes a lot depending on the incline) before stopping.

We'll see what the MMP can do!

thanks for all the answers!
Old 12-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis76 View Post
I did use the program card to set it to 100%

The problem seems to be that there's a delay between letting go of the throttle and when the drag brakes kick in, letting the truck back off (sometimes a lot depending on the incline) before stopping.

We'll see what the MMP can do!

thanks for all the answers!
Mamba Max (older unit) or Mamba Max Pro (current unit) are great at 213% drag brake. Make sure you're setting drag brake, NOT just brake.
As to delay, how much slop is in the drivetrain and pinion mesh? That could be a major reason for the rollback.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Mamba Max (older unit) or Mamba Max Pro (current unit) are great at 213% drag brake. Make sure you're setting drag brake, NOT just brake.
As to delay, how much slop is in the drivetrain and pinion mesh? That could be a major reason for the rollback.
The mesh between pinion and spur is pretty close, any closer and it'll be a bit stiff. And I can assure you both the "brake force" and "drag brake" are set to 100%
Old 12-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis76 View Post
The mesh between pinion and spur is pretty close, any closer and it'll be a bit stiff. And I can assure you both the "brake force" and "drag brake" are set to 100%
OK, but what about slop in the rest of the drivetrain? It doesn't take many * of slop to become a couple of inches of rollback. This can be slop in the hexes, CVD/dogbones, axle to trans, trans gears.....

Not saying it's NOT an ESC issue, just looking for the cheap/easy things 1st.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
OK, but what about slop in the rest of the drivetrain? It doesn't take many * of slop to become a couple of inches of rollback. This can be slop in the hexes, CVD/dogbones, axle to trans, trans gears.....

Not saying it's NOT an ESC issue, just looking for the cheap/easy things 1st.
Oh i understand your intent, and thanks for trying, everything else is tight too. If I hold the spur gear, the wheels don't even move so I know there's no slop anywhere.

The MMP is already on it's way, looking forward!