Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: servos - I know nothing but project needs them

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #1

Talking servos - I know nothing but project needs them

As some members may have read in a previous thread of mine, I have an Anderson M5 cross rc bike, I'm on a mission to make a dynamic rider for it, I have a basic prototype on the go already and my concern is all about servos, everything else is fairly straightforward.

My issue is this; when there's no power to the servo, the servo allows 180 -ish degrees of rotation, yet when I power it up the servo anly gives about 60-70 degrees of rotation.

When I move the rider he doesn't lean as far forward or back as I have the mechanical side of the system set up to achieve....regardless of countering forces etc.

I am positive I am allowing enough margin from every angle regarding the mechanics of it and when the servo is powered down the rider can move through my desired movement range.

How do I identify the correct type of servo for my needs? I know I need a very fast, strong servo that gives as close to 180 degrees rotation as possible but haven't a clue about servo specifications....clearly.

Help me make a cool RC rider guys...please.....
SqueakyBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Most servos are factory set for 90* of powered movement.
I also know that a lot of HiTec servos can go 180* of movement if you get the programmer. I would look at www.ServoCity.com and read some of the HiTec servo specs as well as programmer info.

Whether other servo brands can be set for more movement or not I don't have that answer.

Also, your idea of "strong" may be different from others idea.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueakyBum View Post
How do I identify the correct type of servo for my needs? I know I need a very fast, strong servo that gives as close to 180 degrees rotation as possible but haven't a clue about servo specifications....clearly.

Help me make a cool RC rider guys...please.....
this may help
How to: Improve Servo throw
EGRESSor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #4

Hi guys, thanks for replying

Had a look at the servo throw thread, the dionysis stretcher looks to be the tool for the job here as I don't fancy getting the soldering iron and the calculator out LOL.

I think a switch to 2.4 ghz is in order, none of my 27mhz stuff has epa adjustment and it could prove handy.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #5

Also, I already managed to relocate the servo and re-design the mechanism so that the short travel gives the desired movement range of the riders' upper body

If I eventually get this little dude going the way I want him to then I'll make a video and post it in the video section, just in case anyone is into this sort of thing.

Off axis backflips, extended wheelies, tarmac donuts; and most importantly - balance shifting when catching big air! this is all possible I believe - from a 2 channel rider

Fingers crossed peeps.