Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: My motor is getting hot...little help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My motor is getting hot...little help

So I was crawling around a little on the rock pile in my garage with my mrc and I started to smell something getting hot.. After a little sniffing around I found it was the motor getting hot...now the only thing I can figure may be the problem is I just relocated the electronic and I had to put a couple splices in the battery lead coming out of the esc...I didn't have any way of doin this except a using a crimp splice..I know these arent the best method but it's all I had...could this be the issue...also what else could it be...could the motor just be toast...or would it just quite if it was bad...another symptom is the the motor has no torque..under what I would consider to be a small amount of load it just humms and won't turn the tires...at first I thought that was the battery but my buddy used the same batteries an they worked fine...thanks for the help guys...
pugs2300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like the motor is toast. Check for binding in the drivetrain.
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
RCC Addict

ya it could be toast... if the motor is cold when rig is sitting on the workbench you take it outside and start crawling how long does it take it to get hot?? can you touch it with your finger?? mine gets hot too but its because im running it hard in the rocks..
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

x2 on check for binding.. did you change the pinion/spur spacing at all?

how about the splice you speak of...is that getting warm?!?!
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

i haven't noticed any binding in the drivetrain...at least non i have noticed...ill look everything over better this evening to make sure though...it seems to do fine just driving around on flat ground or goin over a SMALL obstical but as soon as it has it gets any amount of load on it it falls on its face....the motor got hot pretty quick...id say maybe 4 or 5 minutes of crawling around and i noticed the smell...my buddy was playin on the same stuff and his was ok...the splices were not hot at all...they seem to be okay as best i can tell...also the issue of the motor having no torque has been present even before i made the splice or changed anything for that fact but this was the first time it ever got hot enough for me to notice...my rig has always been weaker than his on the torque side of things...im starting to believe its just toast...what do you guys think of this as a replacement...http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...ler/index.html would this be an effective replacement...thanks guys

Last edited by pugs2300; 12-09-2011 at 07:57 AM.
pugs2300 is offline   Reply With Quote