Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Holmes Hobbies 5 pole motor questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Holmes Hobbies 5 pole motor questions

I just received the Holmes Hobbies 5 Pole Brushed Motor (looks like a 550 can) from HH.com. I was excited to get the only 550 sized crawler motor I've ever seen. The only thing is it isn't what I expected. The description said it was a slow motor but I thought with a slower motor would come much more torque especially with a 550 size can. The HH 5 pole motor stalled much quicker than my previous 23t 550 Traxxas Marine motor I was running. I'm not angry or upset or anything, (I love HH!) I was just expecting more torque than my previous 23t 550 motor. I'm not certain how many poles my 23t 550 has or how the number of poles affects everything. I also don't know how many turns the HH motor is.

My question is what motor should I run? Should I rewind my 23t? or maybe the HH 5 pole? Should I run 2 550s?! I don't know...

I'm running 3 cell lipo, Sidewinder SV2 ESC, Wheely King trans and axles, 72t spur, 9t pinion, and P-L Chisels or RC4WD 40 series Mud Slingers for the snow. I need gobs of torque for crawling and speed around walking pace would be nice. Am I totally crazy or can it be done?
Army RC Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Are you talking about the Crawlmaster (Red can) series or the Cobalt Puller (Black/Yellow can)? What pitch gearing are you running 32p or 48p?

The added weight of the snow on 40 series wheels/tires won't be helping you out any.

Last edited by Devil Inc; 12-08-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Here is the link to the motor: LINK

I have not run the HH motor in the snow or anything at all really just a few minutes in the house. I just popped it in and crawled up the wall a little, or over some shoes, boxes, random crap in the house, etc. The 23t 550 was pretty good in the snow but a tad bit too fast for crawling, no low speed control but almost as much torque as my pretty old 55t cheapo motor.

32p gears

Last edited by Army RC Crawler; 12-08-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Army RC Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote