Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: motor issue, whats up?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default motor issue, whats up?

so i have some 35t motors from ckrc, and recently the front has been like stalling and not starting with out some help. so i pulled the old brushes and had the motor coms turned, got new brushes, oiled and cleaned housings. all looked good installed it all back together and does same shiot. i hooked it up to low voltage to break it in for 20 min and it feels like it is wobbling, not balanced or something. the bearings look ok ..and when i start the motor, i have to turn it with hand to get it spinning, anyone have any idea what could be the problem? thanks
drpuffmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

and yes the timing is set at zero....
Old 12-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like "motor stall", usually the beginning of a dead/shorted winding. If it stops on the bad comm segment, it won't spin until you twist it a little bit.
Since you did the most common "fixes" but still have the issue, you pretty much determined what is wrong.

The only way to "fix it" is to replace the motor, get the arm re-wound or replace the arm.
Sorry.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

^ x2
That's what it sounds like to me as well....The 'wobble' could be a comm plate has lifted.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Arm is shorted. The wobble you are feeling is the short happening, then going away so the motor jolts back into rotation.

Get a new arm.......problem solved.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:04 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

ok not to sound to much like a newbie, but this is the first motor ive tried rebuilding, not sure what all the parts are and what and how. so when u say new arm....is this something i can do or have to get done? how do i know what one is bad and where do i get new ones and do i neeed any special tools...why would this have happened? the motors are only about 3 mo old.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Sounds like "motor stall", usually the beginning of a dead/shorted winding. If it stops on the bad comm segment, it won't spin until you twist it a little bit.
Since you did the most common "fixes" but still have the issue, you pretty much determined what is wrong.

The only way to "fix it" is to replace the motor, get the arm re-wound or replace the arm.
Sorry.
hes right , same thing happened to mine
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

New brushes are typically the main item when rebuilding a motor. Sometimes the springs need to be replaced, along with adding some new washers to space the armature. Everything after that is just time and having the correct tools. A lathe for cutting the comm being the biggest one.

Stalled armatures are actually pretty common, doesn't matter who made the arm....hand or machine wound, etc. Basically you shorted it by getting caught in a bind and tried to throttle out to the point the amp draw shorted the motor internally. It just happens....

In that event, you just swap in a new armature, put some new brushes in and break it in......then install.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
New brushes are typically the main item when rebuilding a motor. Sometimes the springs need to be replaced, along with adding some new washers to space the armature. Everything after that is just time and having the correct tools. A lathe for cutting the comm being the biggest one.

Stalled armatures are actually pretty common, doesn't matter who made the arm....hand or machine wound, etc. Basically you shorted it by getting caught in a bind and tried to throttle out to the point the amp draw shorted the motor internally. It just happens....

In that event, you just swap in a new armature, put some new brushes in and break it in......then install.

Later EddieO
+1.

You could contact Eddie0 about the motors you have and see if it's worth getting a new arm or having him do a service with a new arm.
Some motors are inexpensive enough, it's cheaper to replace them rather than rebuild.
I understand not everyone wants to replace "new" motors, but it happens sometimes.
Try to NOT get them hot, they will last longer. Having them overgeared (for speed), binding axle bits, hard binds and trying to throttle out all generate heat.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Hey Eddie o do u want to look at them and fix it for me? I think broad makes this motor for ckrc don't they
Old 12-13-2011, 07:06 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

How about a link to the motor from the CKRC site?
Old 12-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ckrc-tw...8dba9dfb0344a7
Old 12-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpuffmd View Post
Decent looking motor. Not a bad price either, likely worth rebuilding.

Off topic, did you notice the page title states "35T" but the description near the bottom states "55T"??