RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Electronic help (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/353603-electronic-help.html)

jangel 12-13-2011 09:17 AM

Electronic help

Had my Axial crawler out this weekend and after a couple of minutes of just playing around it started smoking? I immediately took it into the garage and one of the wires to the motor was hot. It now won’t move and I’m not sure how to test it to see what’s wrong? The motor will spin freely and it appears that the speed controller is working like normal, but now forward or reverse (steering is fine). Did I toast a motor? How do I test it? Any other thoughts? Thanks<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

xiteamxi 12-13-2011 09:20 AM

well you could hook you wires directly to the motor for a second to see if it spins then you know your motors good or bad and whats left if your esc. how many volts are you trying to run the normal 7.2? or lipo or something

Charlie-III 12-13-2011 09:33 AM

OK, sounds like it cooked.

1-Make sure the brushes move in/out of the brush hood.
2-Make sure the brush shunts (braided wire from the brush to brush hood) are NOT hung up on the hood.
3-Using some jumpers/wire bits, connect a battery pack directly to the motor. Make sure you disconnect the ESC FIRST and the pinion/spur gear mesh is wide open (motor won't turn axle).

Report back after testing.

jangel 12-14-2011 07:25 AM

Disconnected the motor from the ESC and applied dirrect power to it and it worked. So it appears that the motor is working, so did I toast the ESC? What else should I look at?

Creepy Krawler 12-14-2011 01:41 PM

The same thing happened to me it ended up being the esc. It would run fine till you put a little bit of a load on it then the motor started to smoke

Charlie-III 12-14-2011 07:09 PM

Re: Electronic help

Quote:

Originally Posted by jangel (Post 3443437)
Disconnected the motor from the ESC and applied direct power to it and it worked. So it appears that the motor is working, so did I toast the ESC? What else should I look at?

Sounds like the ESC. If you have another motor, hook it up and see if it can move your rig. If it doesn't, then you know it's the ESC.

How old is the ESC? Maybe it has a warranty on it? Some vendors will do an "out of warranty" repair, basically pay 50% of a new one and have a working ESC.

jangel 12-15-2011 08:05 AM

I'm pretty sure that the esc is toast. I bought this used and after doing some research it appears that the Tekin B1-R that came with it is only rate for a 2S lipo and he sold it using 3S lipos. So now I'm going to loo into a new esc capable of handeling the 3S lipos that I have.

Charlie-III 12-15-2011 08:42 AM

I would look at the Holmes Hobbies BRXL, Castle Creations Mamba (various flavors) or Tekin FX-r.
Those are about the most common ESC's used in crawling.