Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Purpose of Separate Power Supply?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Purpose of Separate Power Supply?

My Hyperion EOS0606i had issues with the balance port so I sold it a while back. I now have been using my back up Hitec X1 AC/DC charger for my lipos.

With that being said, why is it that racers tend to use power supplies in the pit while using their chargers? What's the purpose of a separate power supply when they have wall plugs present?

I noticed there's a lipo fast charge setting on my Hitec X1, can I use this feature with a standard 110V AC wall plug?

I've been in r/c for just over 3 years, so I still consider myself a noob lol.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Purpose of Separate Power Supply?

most internal power supplies are not as high amp as external ones. For example a charger I have can only go up to 3 amps on the internal power supply but can charge at 8 amps on an external supply.
Plus one external supply can often run more than one charger, so it becomes more cost-efficient to have an external supply if you have multiple chargers.
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Puppy View Post
most internal power supplies are not as high amp as external ones. For example a charger I have can only go up to 3 amps on the internal power supply but can charge at 8 amps on an external supply.
Plus one external supply can often run more than one charger, so it becomes more cost-efficient to have an external supply if you have multiple chargers.
+1, way back when, I used a 30A car battery charger as a DC supply. It ran 3 Tekin NiCD chargers and a Tekin discharger with no issues. That way I only needed a single 110VAC plug.

Newer chargers seem to need a slightly better DC supply to prevent false peaks during a charge.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I use one because I needed the power supply for multiple reasons....for my charger as well as for my motor master (what I use to power my comm lathe and break in new/fresh cut motors).
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Well since I'm just tooling around getting into e-buggies I doubt I would need an external battery supply unless I really start competing and may look into getting another Hyperion charger. Thanks for all the info guys!
Old 12-22-2011, 09:01 AM   #6
sim
Quarry Creeper

If your charger can charge your batteries at 1C with the internal power supply, you certainly can get by without a separate power supply. I don't power mine with one, but I have a small separate 7A power supply for powering cooling fans (and tire warmers if needed). The faster the motor cools down, the more I get to play, so it's handy.
sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Yup the Hitec X1 can charge lipos at 1C with the internal power supply. Looking at the specs between my old Hyperion EOS0606i and my Hitec X1, the X1 pretty much does everything my Hyperion can do.

Hitec X1 (50 watt power limit): Input 11-18V DC or 100-240V AC power source, can charge up to 6s and 6A max charge current
Hyperion EOS0606i (50 watt power limit): Input 11V-15V DC or 100V-240V AC power source, can charge up to 6s and 6A max charge current

It just seems Hyperion's build quality is nicer since it's aluminum versus Hitec being plastic.

Should I just get another Hitec X1?

Last edited by alexchen86; 12-22-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
cherry bomb

my race track does not supply 110v power so most of us without generators charge off of our cars, I chose chargers that are DC only since they are lower profile, I run 3 of these chargers off of my power supply while i'm at home.

(I keep a booster box in my car now too, it's not un common for someone to kill the battery in there car after a day at the races)

Hyperion chargers are very good, but it seems everyone at my local track is switching to hitec chargers, I don't think you could go wrong with either, if it was me i'd get another hitec, 2 of the same charger looks cooler then a mix match setup.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Purpose of Separate Power Supply? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modding a PC Power Supply into a 12 Volt Supply for your DC charger TwistedXT Electronics 166 05-22-2019 07:28 PM
rc take off and power supply off road again Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 10-14-2011 07:50 PM
Power Supply?? 76 warlock Electronics 4 03-30-2011 07:21 PM
High Power BEC/Servo Power Supply MANTIS Electronics 14 08-09-2006 03:33 PM
Using a computer power supply to power up my charger.... AYKBOBCAT Electronics 15 03-30-2005 07:41 PM