Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 4pl and xr10 help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #1

Default 4pl and xr10 help

Hey guys got a prob. Did some searching but did not find a cure. Well here's my setup
Xr10
2 tenkin fxr pro esc
2 team brood 35t handwound matching motor
Futaba 4pl
3s Max amps lipo
Cs170
CC 10amp bec

1st problem is that when I back up(use reverse) and try and go forward there's a delay in trigger. That is super annoying.

2nd the trigger is super sensitive. Forward ain't but so bad but reverse is almost impossible to crawl with. How in the world do I fix this. That's my biggest problem. Thanks a ton guys.
wade toombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 4PL and XR-10 help

First question, did you calibrate both ESC's to the RX??
Second question, and throttle settings (like proportional) set in the TX??
Third question, are these matched MOA motors?? If so, are they on the correct end of the rig (they may have some timing, if they are swapped they will have more timing in reverse than in forward.)
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #3

Default Re: 4pl and xr10 help

Ok both esc are calibrated. But when calabratin the first thing you do is supposed to be pull trigger mine ( on both esc) will only let u do reverse first then forward. Backwards to tenkin directions. The proportional is set I believe. Not to sure on alot of settings because when I mess with expo and all only applys to one motor. One motor is ch4 other is ch2. They are matched motors from team brood but I do not know about timing or what end is what because they was not marked. Just 2 motors in a box. I really wanna figure this out but this 4ch thing is new to me. And thanks for helping
Old 12-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Well, I'm not using Tekin ESCs in my crawler, so I can't comment on the proper setup for those. But I do know that when Eddie at Br00d sends out a pair of motors for a MOA rig, one is stamped (f) and one is stamped (r). Take a look near the shaft, iirc that's where you'll find the markings. I don't know if your motors have any timing built into them, but it'd be good to double check that you have them installed in the right axle.
eisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
RCC Addict

First thing you need to do is to reverse the throttle on your 4PL (it's a Futaba thing), Then recalibrate the ESCs, one at a time if fine. Hold the Mod button until it goes into calibrate mode and DO NOT pull the trigger, it is looking for neutral, when it chimes then pull the trigger, when it chimes again push the trigger forward, let go when it chimes again. Do this for both ESCs.

Second, check to see if the motor type on both ESCs is set correctly and not on delay reverse.

Then you should OK.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:57 AM   #6

Ok. How do I check motor type on esc tho.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:00 AM   #7

To get rid of reverse delay. That's driving me up the wall
Old 12-24-2011, 03:13 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Gee, I really hate to say this but it's in the instructions. It is amazingly full of information. But for those who do not like to read you need to look at LED 5 and see if LEDs 1 & 2 are lit. That will give you immediate reverse.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:01 AM   #9

Don't mean to make ppl mad. Only instructions I have is here. My 5yr old magically made instructions dissappear.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:09 AM   #10

Whyle I'm at it let me double check one thing. Should esc's be on ch 2 and 4 or 3 and 4?
Old 12-24-2011, 06:50 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quick search yields.... http://www.teamtekin.com/manuals/FXManual.pdf manual....

There are 3 types of reverse:
-None
-Delayed (AKA double tap)
-Instant

If you have a HotWire, make sure both have same firmware, same type of throttle & brake curves, etc.
Also look at the 4PL, either both ESC's need expo or they both don't need it. Don't have expo on one but not the other.

I see Prince Georges, are you in NOVA??
Old 12-24-2011, 07:00 AM   #12

Naw. It is actually prince George. Its by NC. Southern VA.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:03 AM   #13

And I do have hotwire but cut the power wires to esc because of CC bec. So it don't pickup. But I think I got it mostly figured out. And when I do change expo on 4pl it only affects one esc. Can't seem to make both do the same thing. That's why I'm wondering what ch they should be on.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:12 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade toombs View Post
And I do have hotwire but cut the power wires to ESC because of the CC BEC, so it don't pickup. But I think I got it mostly figured out. And when I do change expo on 4PL it only affects one ESC. Can't seem to make both do the same thing. That's why I'm wondering what ch they should be on.
Ahhh....I always tell people to just remove the red ESC/RX wire from the RX plug & tape it up, so you can program down the road. I also run my CC BEC direct to the servo, removes one more potential issue.

I thought it was channels 2 & 3. Did you look in Harleys 4PL T & T thread?? My son is not here right now, he ran a dual ESC on his 4PL.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:16 AM   #15

Ya in the thread he has it 2 and 4. But ima try 3 and 4 sense there in the same category on the remote and see if it ain't better like that. And looking back removing the wire would of been 100 times smarter. It was late at night when I did it prob not thinking right. But see how he runs em when u can and let me know if you will. Thanks alot
Old 12-24-2011, 07:49 AM   #16
RCC Addict

You can still use a Hotwire but you need to power up the ESC with the main battery while plugged into the Hotwire.

Rear ESC in ch.4. Front in ch.2.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:55 AM   #17

Ok that's how I have it. I think I need to rewire rear motor backwards and see if that helps so I can get expo right.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:04 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Ok that's how I have it. I think I need to rewire rear motor backwards and see if that helps so I can get expo right.
Uh, yeah, the rear motor is supposed to turn opposite the front so you can drive forward. You either swap the pos & neg or rotate the endbell 180* (if you have a rebuildable and timing adjustable motor).

I have the 4PL and dual FX-Rs and this was perhaps the easiest to set up that I ever had. Just follow Harley's video and you can't go wrong. The only thing I did was use DT2 for dig and DT1 for rate. You can set the direction of these switches to your liking. Futaba 4PL Setup, Tips, Tricks & Help

BTW you only need to set the expo on Throttle and it will mix that expo to both ESCs.

Last edited by AreCee; 12-24-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #19

They both go same way just on remote one is norm one is rev. Thanks alot for helping. Ima try and get it fixed today and let you know how it goes. Merry Christmas too
Old 12-24-2011, 08:19 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
They both go same way just on remote one is norm one is rev. Thanks alot for helping. Ima try and get it fixed today and let you know how it goes. Merry Christmas too
You should have both ch.2 and ch.4 reversed on your 4PL. That's how you run Tekins with a Futaba. Then you need to flip the wires on the rear.

This could explain some of the problems you are having.

4pl and xr10 help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XR10 drivers poll: 4PKS or 4PL? DiggyStyle Electronics 7 10-17-2011 05:09 AM