RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   7950TH keeps turning and won't stop (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/355934-7950th-keeps-turning-wont-stop.html)

concretejungle 12-26-2011 02:25 PM

7950TH keeps turning and won't stop

Did some crawling this morning and after two packs i went to put the third pack in. When i plugged it up, my steering started turning right and just kept going until it was maxed! I looked at my Tx and started trying to make sure my trim and EP were not changed and they weren't. Now, every time i plug up the rig, the servo starts turning and won't stop.

Any ideas or should i mail it to HiTec?

SINister 12-26-2011 04:09 PM

Re: 7950TH keeps turning and won't stop

Check that the channel didn't get reversed on the steering otherwise you might want to contact Hitec.

Charlie-III 12-26-2011 07:22 PM

Either plug a different servo in the channel (to test the TX & RX) or plug the servo into the throttle channel and see if the servo behaves.

It will give you a clue as to what the issue is.

Nabil 12-26-2011 08:47 PM

pull the servo horn off and see if you have steering both directions. depending on the horn you are using it might have jumped a few teeth and now center isnt in the same spot

concretejungle 12-27-2011 08:00 AM

OK guys, thanks for the replies.

I pulled the steering arm off and powered it up. With the arm off, it stays put at center; when i turn left, it works correctly, when i turn right it just keeps turning past the EP until it binds (i guess the gears inside) because you can hear it humming like it's bound up! I made sure that the Tx wasn't reversed and the EPs weren't changed.

I put on my old servo and it worked correctly so i'm guessing something is wrong with this one.

Dang! I guess I will contact HiTec.

alexchen86 12-27-2011 08:34 AM

Yup contact Hitec customer service. I had an old 5645MG that after maybe a year or so lost all power left/right. They repaired free of charge as the tech noted the servo had a bad amplifier...turnaround time was about 2 weeks. Great customer service!

concretejungle 12-27-2011 02:27 PM

alright, this thing is starting to make me look stupid! I decided before i sent it back i would go to my LHS where i bought it and ask his opinion and see if it would be best to have him ship it off for me. We hooked it back up and it's working fine now!! WTF?!! I'm going to put the steering arm back on and see if that makes any changes.

I'm half tempted to send it off anyways and see what Hitec finds, if anything. After all it's about to be cold and nasty so now is the down time for crawling. Might as well make sure my gear is all up and ready to rock when the weather turns nice.

Rig Rocker 12-27-2011 02:46 PM

What radio system are you using?

concretejungle 12-27-2011 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spectrum dx3e.

I'm wondering if there was some water inside. The day before i was crawling and the front slipped off a rock and into the water. It was submerged for maybe 3 seconds.

Charlie-III 12-27-2011 04:29 PM

Hmmmm....interesting.

When I've had issues with a HiTec servo, it was a definite issue, not an "intermittent". Intermittents SUCK!!!!

Yes, you may have a few stray drops of water floating around.

Yes, now is the time to resolve issues."thumbsup""thumbsup"

concretejungle 12-27-2011 04:39 PM

We are going to have a break in the weather next few days before it get's cold and nasty again. I"m going to give it another run and see what happens. If it acts up again, it's going in the mail!

Twisted Nuts 12-27-2011 04:41 PM

My 7950 did the exact same thing on my scaler about 3months back and when I took it apart I notice one of the o rings were not seated good.
I took the case apart and didn't find "water" but the board was covered in a very fine moisture. Let it set on the table overnight and dry and it's been fine since.

TapaTalk on Iphone4

Rig Rocker 12-28-2011 01:28 PM

Yeah, crack open the servo and let it dry out. Then put some dialectric grease on each case o-ring, and an o-ring w/dialectric grease under the servo horn. Or at least put a nice glob under servo horn. There are two orings in case at output shaft, but they can still leak. I would also add a little d-grease around the inside of wire grommet too. Its sealed with silicone, but can't hurt.

What you described is exactly what happened to me at the B-Day Bash G6 in my wraith. My 7955 went straight to full lock. It was fully submerged several times during comp, but one of the orings had split and let a tiny bit of water in to circuit board area. This was a very old servo and i should have changed the case o-rings.

Nabil 12-28-2011 09:05 PM

Put the thing in a sealed ziploc bag with a bunch of uncooked white rice. The rice will absorb any moisture

concretejungle 12-29-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nabil (Post 3473433)
Put the thing in a sealed ziploc bag with a bunch of uncooked white rice. The rice will absorb any moisture

This is a great wet phone trick!

OK, i sat the servo in front of one of my heat vents in the house for a day. Took it out today for 3 packs and it worked fine! Guess it got a little water in it.

I'm probably going to open her up and put some more dielectric grease in it so it will be better protected.