Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: how do i mod a traxxas 2.4 radio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default how do i mod a traxxas 2.4 radio

ok i'm trying to mod my traxxas 2.4 radio for 4 wheel steer but i do not want to have to run the rear steer via switch, i want to tie the 3rd channel into the steering switch and run a 3 position switch for servo reversing so i can run it just front wheel steer for center position or crab & 4 wheel for left and right but i can't figure out the steering switch, i can get the servo to steer and reverse but its not proportional and wont come back to center
srt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: how do i mod a traxxas 2.4 radio

Specifically, which Traxxas 2.4ghz radio??
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Specifically, which Traxxas 2.4ghz radio??
2238 2 channel but i've already modded it to 5 channel, just can't figure out the factory steering switch and why it won't self center or why its not proportional when i run it to the 3rd channel
Old 12-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The 3rd, 4th, and 5th channels are not proportional.
wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:40 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantAsummit View Post
The 3rd, 4th, and 5th channels are not proportional.
thats what i was thinking after messing with it last night, but still can't figure out why it it won't center back up, when i turn the wheel the servo turns let off nothing turn it the other way servo goes the other way let off nothing, really don't think its posible at this point my brain is smoking trying to figure this out, think i'll just stick with a switch for the rear

Last edited by srt6; 12-27-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt6 View Post
thats what i was thinking after messing with it last night, but still can't figure out why it it won't center back up, when i turn the wheel the servo turns let off nothing turn it the other way servo goes the other way let off nothing, really don't think its posible at this point my brain is smoking trying to figure this out, think i'll just stick with a switch for the rear
The front steering won't center or the rear steering won't center??

The front steering should center if you let go of the steering wheel (the wheel is usually spring loaded to center).
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
The front steering won't center or the rear steering won't center??

The front steering should center if you let go of the steering wheel (the wheel is usually spring loaded to center).
the rear won't center
Old 01-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

in order for the rear to center, you need a 3 position switch or you have to adjust the servo horn.
monturacer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by monturacer3 View Post
in order for the rear to center, you need a 3 position switch or you have to adjust the servo horn.
i think u are misreading the post, and i wish it was that simple but its centered from the start when i turn the wheel the servo turns, when i let off it does not center back up, this is not a case of newbisum, this is a case of understanding the circuitry of the radio to make it do stuff it was not intended for, im running the 3rd channel off the first channel switch (inside the radio the third channel on the cicuit board is wired to the first channel steering switch) so why will the first channel center back up when i let off and the 3rd channel won't
Old 01-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

not sure why it doesnt center back. post a picture of the wiring and switch setup. you may need to re-do the wiring.
monturacer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #11

non proportional wont allow it to recenter everytime
NCR Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

It looks like the method you are trying to work out would leave you with just 3-positions without the ability to choose mirror, crab, etc. If just mirror or crab would do the job for you, maybe you could just plug the rear steer servo into the second CH1 socket on the receiver. This way, they will both to the same thing at the same time proportionally.

If you would really like 3-position control of CH3, try to swap the wires between the red thumb switch and the original 3-position switch (there should be 3 wires going to each switch if I remember right). No steering wheel involved, but at least you would have control.
wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantAsummit View Post
It looks like the method you are trying to work out would leave you with just 3-positions without the ability to choose mirror, crab, etc. If just mirror or crab would do the job for you, maybe you could just plug the rear steer servo into the second CH1 socket on the receiver. This way, they will both to the same thing at the same time proportionally.

If you would really like 3-position control of CH3, try to swap the wires between the red thumb switch and the original 3-position switch (there should be 3 wires going to each switch if I remember right). No steering wheel involved, but at least you would have control.
yeah i've done the three position mod and ran 2 servos on channel 1 on other rc's, i'm just experimenting with the radio to see if its posible to run the 3rd channel off the steering switch, and have a 3 position switch to reverse the polarity so you can switch between crab, mirror or front steer,(all on the steering wheel) like some of the radios you can buy to do this, but on the radios that are made to do this don't have any extra channels, if i can figure out how to do this on the traxxas radio i will still have 2 extra channels to work with for dig or whatever, so the conclusion on this is it is not possible the there is more to channel 1 than just the switch and alot to do with the circuit board itself, if anyone has ever done this chim in please

how do i mod a traxxas 2.4 radio - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4 channel traxxas 2.4 radio mod????? GOODTIMESLA Electronics 1 09-09-2011 03:17 AM
traxxas fm radio and traxxas waterproof esc help jon1197 Newbie General 11 12-14-2009 12:34 PM
Another Radio mod please ElChupoCabre Electronics 2 11-17-2007 04:55 PM