RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   hitec or savox, steel or titanium (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/356701-hitec-savox-steel-titanium.html)

cuttyman 12-30-2011 08:55 AM

hitec or savox, steel or titanium

looking for a new servo for my xr10 and one for my scx10( unless people have good experience with the as2 stock servo but i doubt it) . i am currently running a savox 1256 titanium gear in my ax10 i only runnin at 5 volts because i havent put my bec in yet but still has pretty good torque . thinking about going with a hitec for the xr was thinkin the 7954 steel gear.

my question is 1, anyone know if with the hitec all the gears are steel? or if its the titanium version if they are all titanium? after purchasing my savox i found out that one of the 3 gearz is aluminum which is pretty stupid..... especially considering they sell it as a "titanium gear" had i known one was aluminum i wouldnt have bought it.

and 2. anyone have experience breaking the steel gears is it worth goin to titanium ? ill probably just go with the steel i usually try to not put my truck in a position where i might strip the teeth right off the bit$@ and if it does get in that position ill usually just grab it instead of risking 100 bucks or whatever replacement gearz would cost. i also use a plastic servo horn thats my crawler servo saver gota have a weak point somewhere.....

KBrog 12-30-2011 09:38 AM

Re: hitec or savox, steel or titanium

If you go with a powerfull TG servo, a good clamping aluminum horn, and a BEC at 6v or higher you wont have to worry about having a weak link.

Bananaclip 12-30-2011 09:58 AM

speaking of horns I just picked up an ofna cnc horn off of tower and damn its beef! The ofna is also black=Bonus!

ittybitty 12-30-2011 06:36 PM

If you do break the steel gears...the gears for the 7955TG interchange into the 7954SH.

meatmonkey 12-30-2011 07:43 PM

The 7954SH has a small "MK" gear that is a fuse. The good news is that a 3 pack is $10. I was initially dissapointed when I learned this, and have since stripped three of them in different servos over the last two years.

I replaced one of them with a Savox 1268 in my 1.9 SCX and while it has slightly less holding power, it still has gobs of torque and all steel gears (I took it apart for waterproofing and everything looks beef).

Both work quite well, but thus far the Savox has remained more precise and trouble free.

cuttyman 01-01-2012 03:57 AM

thnx for input guys

AsILayDying 01-01-2012 05:48 AM

Savox 1268SG servo 347 oz/in @7.4v got mine for 75 dollars @ SuperiorHobbies.com
Castle BEC set at 7v and a Robotronics Clamping Metal servo Horn and I have no issues at all. Very good setup IMO
Good luck

YYCADM 01-01-2012 01:44 PM

I think the intent with building a servo gearbox with one aluminium gear is to give you an easily replaceable point of failure. One aluminum gear will consistently fail before the more expensive titanium ones do, which is good...
I think you'll find that concept applied to a lot of higher end servos for the same reason.

alexchen86 01-01-2012 02:00 PM

All of my servos are Hitec...just because they have great customer service and every local hobby shop always have them in stock.

The higher end Hitec servos I run now are:

2 Hitec 7950TH's both at 7.4V off CC BEC one in a 10 pound 2.2 scaler on 4s, and one on my Wraith with CC BEC set at 7.4V as well.

2 Hitec 7955TG's one has been comped with over and over again going on 3 years now with no issues. The other on my RC8BE FT no issues as well.

I've only had one Hitec 5645MG fail on me the amplifier gave out so I sent it back to Hitec no receipt. They put in new gears, spline, and a new amp. Turnaround time 2 weeks.

Charlie-III 01-01-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYCADM (Post 3479547)
I think the intent with building a servo gearbox with one aluminium gear is to give you an easily replaceable point of failure. One aluminum gear will consistently fail before the more expensive titanium ones do, which is good...
I think you'll find that concept applied to a lot of higher end servos for the same reason.

I will be doing this soon myself, but.......why not get a HiTec servo programmer and set the amp limit just below the "breakage limit" of the servo??
Yes, I agree that some servo manufacturers make a "weak point" so it's an easy customer fix.

Rig Rocker 01-01-2012 03:42 PM

I would recommend and I also run Hitec. I run them in everything. 7955 is most common for me and have several of them. Some are yrs old since first release.
I also recommend the 7950 steel gear. They have never failed me either.